Surf Journalism: "An endless summer of sycophancy" ???

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lard Lad
regular

Re: Surf Journalism: "An endless summer of sycophancy" ???

Post by Lard Lad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:33 pm

so a few pages into the latest issue of ASL where I've got Jordy Smith telling me that the O'Neill Psycho Freak is "the warmest suit on the planet for sure", am I not to believe it? am i not being told the whole story? can I believe the inside front cover with the picture of Parko where I am told the Billabong SG is the lightest wetsuit ever? or are they not telling me the whole truth?

really need to know, really got the urge to go and dump 6 notes on a new wetty 'cause it'll be lighter and warmer than the rest of the planet, especially last 'season's one with the old colour's........ what do i do? :?

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:53 pm

nosedrip wrote:I had no idea Andy Irons was Jewish..... Mick must hate that
Wait till everyone finds out Neco is a grand wizard in sciencetology :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I like the cut of your jib drip!

revolutionsurfer

Post by revolutionsurfer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 pm

dinosaur wrote:
revolutionsurfer wrote: The write up was good, though I still find it funny everyone is so concerned about insulting Jews or other races with off hand remarks made in the heat of a moment, when it's done towards whites all the time with little said about it. If the guy was a member of the Jewish faith and called someone an F 'n Goy I seriously doubt anything would have been said and some who would normally be shocked and angered at the F' n Jew comment would likely have even thought it funny.

There are huge double standards with political correctness and the entire issue of race or bigotry. Some is considered unacceptable regardless of what anyone says... while other equally racist remarks are considered acceptable.
Ahh yes I knew it wouldn't take long.
You took the words right out of my mouth with this response.
Last edited by revolutionsurfer on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

revolutionsurfer

Post by revolutionsurfer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 pm

onawave wrote:
There are huge double standards with political correctness and the entire issue of race or bigotry. Some is considered unacceptable regardless of what anyone says... while other equally racist remarks are considered acceptable.
this is true....

however, imho, no-one in any media facing situation should be talking about any kind of racism. even if its not meant, or exploiting a stereo type... mick and co get paid stupid amounts of money to be faces of massive brands pushing products which influences a whole lot of kids... he shouldnt be saying crap like this at all.

imagine if this happened in say soccer or to australianise it afl? actually it has already happened in afl when players made comments about our aboriginal players... it should just not happen in any professional sport... yes, mick didnt mean it, but he should know better.... i bet he has learnt his lesson now...

now to the matter of the crap that magazines print. yes a lot of it is bullshit. hence needing to search out good mags. sufers journal is a good one i can think of. but this topic has already been discussed.
Considering the image most of these folks push, I wouldn't worry too much about negative influence on kiddies. The entire surfing industry itself is one giant negative influence. It has zero worth to society and makes a few rich off the numb minds of a few folks with no identity seeking to take the marketed identity the surf brand sells.

As for Surfing magazines. None of them are really good that are in print. I would much rather read a few blogs or even some of the stuff posted on a forum over surfing magazines. Surfer's Journal is only slightly better than the rest. That is still a boy's club also. Written in pretty much the same style surfing related magazines have always been written. I used to read that stuff. I'll be putting my collection of all the back issues on Ebay Next week. What doesn't sell will be donated to the fire pit in my back yard.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:36 am

revolutionsurfer wrote:
onawave wrote:
this is true....

however, imho, no-one in any media facing situation should be talking about any kind of racism. even if its not meant, or exploiting a stereo type... mick and co get paid stupid amounts of money to be faces of massive brands pushing products which influences a whole lot of kids... he shouldnt be saying crap like this at all.

imagine if this happened in say soccer or to australianise it afl? actually it has already happened in afl when players made comments about our aboriginal players... it should just not happen in any professional sport... yes, mick didnt mean it, but he should know better.... i bet he has learnt his lesson now...

now to the matter of the crap that magazines print. yes a lot of it is bullshit. hence needing to search out good mags. sufers journal is a good one i can think of. but this topic has already been discussed.
Considering the image most of these folks push, I wouldn't worry too much about negative influence on kiddies. The entire surfing industry itself is one giant negative influence. It has zero worth to society and makes a few rich off the numb minds of a few folks with no identity seeking to take the marketed identity the surf brand sells.

As for Surfing magazines. None of them are really good that are in print. I would much rather read a few blogs or even some of the stuff posted on a forum over surfing magazines. Surfer's Journal is only slightly better than the rest. That is still a boy's club also. Written in pretty much the same style surfing related magazines have always been written. I used to read that stuff. I'll be putting my collection of all the back issues on Ebay Next week. What doesn't sell will be donated to the fire pit in my back yard.
How much do you want for those copies of the Journal :D :D If ya just gonna burn em I'm happy to take em off ya hand for the cost of freight. :D :D :D

revolutionsurfer

Post by revolutionsurfer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:18 am

dinosaur wrote:

really, you were going to reply to your own post with those words?

Strange.

Still you seem to think a middle class educated white man is vulnuable to racist abuse from all those nasty minorities. So I suppose anything goes really.[/quote][/quote]

ha ha. No...I mean..I knew it was only a matter of time before one of you showed up. I was echoing your statement.

I never said anything about whites being Vulnerable to racist abuse from all those nasty minorities. What a typical Politically correct comment. What I said is that it's ok for minorities to sling racial jokes at whites and for whites to be portrayed in just about any way on T.V. and in history class and not ok for whites to do the same thing. There is a double standard.

In fact, I ask you: Do you believe if the guy was Jewish and said F'n goy...we would have this long of a thread, and Shawn Tompson trying to see if the magazines are going to properly cover it and etc? I think you know the answer and get the point. But in the PC mindless world. Anything goes in the way of critical thinking.

I think it's possible to make a racial slur when you are pissed off and not really be a racist. People say stupid stuff when they get angry.

revolutionsurfer

Post by revolutionsurfer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 am

Shane Peel wrote:
How much do you want for those copies of the Journal :D :D If ya just gonna burn em I'm happy to take em off ya hand for the cost of freight. :D :D :D
If I don't get any bites on Ebay. I'll e you back.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:29 am

Shane Peel wrote:Pawle is a funny little joke to most surfers. Anyone with a texta and a postage stamp could write down what he knows about surfing. ALL media exists through the good grace of advertisers. As surfing is able to access various channels to broadcast to it's fans don't you think it makes sense to get the coverage from people who understand it best and that would be … Exactly the Surf Magazines. These guys produce the best content in partnership with the big surf companies and it's still YEARS or DECADES away before you will see regular companies spending anything even close to what the surf companies do on surfing. Pawle is just a puppet for the boys at Stab and good on em.Micks no anti-semite, a surfer may have done drugs (whooo ground breaking stuff) Dance, Fred Dance! Pity the Oz does not have a credible column on surfing.

Really Mr Peel, who are these "most surfers"? Done a poll? Or would that be ""most surfers (who feed off the industry)"? I know Fred and he's a long time core surfer. I'd trust his words over almost anyone involved in "the industry". Your argument that the industry supports surfing cause no one else will would appear to be bollocks if the snippets over the years about the big brands fighting tooth and nail to stop mainstream companies sponsoring major events is true, and there's every reason to believe it. Happy to be corrected. Same with the several times I've been told how difficult it is for a surf shop to stock smaller surfwear brands, allegedly under threat of them not getting major surf brand products. Where's the benefit there digger?
And there's a case for surfing mags to be prosecuted for false advertising in their mastheads. Surfing is now beyond teen/twenties shortboarding and yet that's what fills 95 per cent of the mags. The alternative craft revolution, which arguably has benefitted all surfers, was a direct reponse to the incredibly narrow POW of that big surfbrands/mags partnership you extoll. Australian Teenage Shortboarding Life anyone? I'll only ride a mal kneehigh and under or a twinnie when fattish and headhigh but am happy to read about a stylish logger, or fish rider or bonzer carver or whatever, but this appears not to be "surfing" to many surf mags. They should maybe be labelled youth market mags instead.

nosedrip

Post by nosedrip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:31 am

revolutionsurfer wrote:I think it's possible to make a racial slur when you are pissed off and not really be a racist. People say stupid stuff when they get angry.
If you make a racial slur when you are pissed off you are showing your true beliefs. And people say stupid stuff when they are ignorant....like the drivel in your post above

Tip for ya: Google "slavery" and "holocaust" - then "oppression of white people"

Unless of course you're a dyslexic black Jewish woman with a physical disability - in which case I take it all back....

revolutionsurfer

Post by revolutionsurfer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:44 pm

dinosaur wrote:The reason being called a goy wouldn't have caused the same stir is no one really knows what that means. Well not in my country anyway and as a racial slur against whites it doesn't really have any effect because there is not a history of discrimination and abuse that goes with it.

Try and stretch yourself a bit. Shouting political correctness at anyone who doesn't agree with you is about as relevant as calling G W Bush a nazi. The term means nothing and really only serves to describe the user as a jelly brained fucktard, with right leaning sensibilities and a penchant for pot pourri infused old ladies knickers.

I'd be most intrigued if you could explain the term political correctness, without using the phrase. In this explanation could you please describe how the term is only relevant when used by conservatives to attack liberal ideas.
Come on now...let's keep it in the proper perspective. I didn't shout at anyone. Most of us on this forum know what political correctness is since it's pretty much been the status quo in a major way for at least 20 years..if not longer. I don't mind that you might not agree with me....your only response was a sanctimonious statement. No response...just sarcasm and a bit of a dig. I simply responded in kind and gave you more of an explanation that you have put forth so far.

So far...your simply making a statements as if you know my motives. Which you don't. What does Bush have to do with this? I wouldn't call Bush a Nazi. I think he and his administration were evil, self serving blue bloods and possibly in the same line of worst presidents my country has ever had. A supporter of religious zealotry also. Nazis were a specific group with a specific ideology and dictatorship.

As for conservatives and liberals. Both are eaten up with political correctness. If I had to put my own definition on it...I might simplify it with: thou doth protest too much and make bigger deals out of trivial things that will work themselves out.

For instance....when I was in corporate America....if during a conversation I told a gal she was attractive and smart in response to her saying she felt non attractive and dumb...it fit the conversation..there was not sexism involved and etc. The little P.C. church boys would be wagging the finger of political correctness and trying to get rules passed that complimenting a woman needs to be off bounds and in fact may even indicate sexual harassment. Sexual harassment being a very specific thing and easy to identify..but with PC just about any normal man woman activity get's tossed in the generalization pool called PC.

In a nutshell P.C. actually does what it claims to exist to prevent...it generalizes and doesn't allow each situation to stand on it's own. To me there is a huge difference in an off hand comment made in a heated moment and some person going out of their way to ruin someone's chances of getting a raise because they were a different race or religion and etc.

Again: If you are not Jewish. Why would the comment bother you. Even if you are Jewish...why would the comment bother you considering the source? Why would you think the incident or yourself so important that a major surf publication should " properly " report it?

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Anyone with a texta and a postage stamp could write down what Shane Peel knows about surfing.

revolutionsurfer

Post by revolutionsurfer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm

nosedrip wrote:
revolutionsurfer wrote:I think it's possible to make a racial slur when you are pissed off and not really be a racist. People say stupid stuff when they get angry.
If you make a racial slur when you are pissed off you are showing your true beliefs. And people say stupid stuff when they are ignorant....like the drivel in your post above

Tip for ya: Google "slavery" and "holocaust" - then "oppression of white people"

Unless of course you're a dyslexic black Jewish woman with a physical disability - in which case I take it all back....
Well you are certainly showing both your own ignorance and your own stupidity by your dogmatic response. People should act better than they do often, but people are flawed creatures.

Sometimes you are showing your true beliefs and sometimes you are just trying to think of the nastiest thing you could say to retaliate..which shows your lack of control, but not in every case your beliefs. I saw much racial violence during segregation. I saw guys calling blacks on their football team the " N " word because they got in a fist fight at practice and then hugging their neck and going out for pizza when they had cooled off.

The generalization junk done by PC forces folks to stay pissed off about junk that many times doesn't matter. A real bigot is usually passive aggressive and very damaging. Most of the loud mouths are just that.

As for googling " Slavery " or " Holocaust " tip for ya: Why stop there? Why not go back a bit further to Attila the Hun when much of the white race in the region was close to being completely wiped out and certain civilizations actually were. Or....how about the fact that some freed slaves in the south actually had their own slaves, along with some Native Americans who also owned slaves. Northern American industrial factories had children, many of them white immigrants, who were abject slaves and died by being worked to death or in unhealthy conditions. Women regardless of color had few rights and were abused and treated poorly...some even locked in Jewish factories so they wouldn't take a break and burned alive because they couldn't get out during a fire. How about the 15 million dead white Russians under Stalin or the 30 million dead Chinese under Mao? How about surfers buying boards made in China...a country that is still totalitarian and as we speak is murdering Tibetians?

I mean.." What " slavery. " What " Holocaust do you mean. There is not any shortage of them.

That's my issue with P.C. it picks some groups and says offending them is worse than offending others. In many ways it's the epitome of tagging and labeling. Trying to neatly package everything into a little box with a label.

I don't support being acting like asses or bigots..but some things are just not that big of a deal. This incident is one of them

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Clif wrote:Anyone with a texta and a postage stamp could write down what Shane Peel knows about surfing.
Aww come on Cliffy that's plagiarism I thought a super sensitive thinker like you would be above that :D :D :D

So what HAS old Fred actually told us about SURFING in the last 12 months????? Sure he's rolled out a few stories and whipped em up into a bit of hype but what has he REALLY told surfers about surfing.
Or should we discuss Fred Pawle dragging surfing into the mire of total tabloid style headline grabbing. Fred's a puppet. You know it, I know it and now thanks to his latest "Expose" in the Oz any surfer with half a brain knows it! Dino would eat him for lunch … if he could be bothered :D

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Shane Peel wrote:
Clif wrote:Anyone with a texta and a postage stamp could write down what Shane Peel knows about surfing.

So what HAS old Fred actually told us about SURFING in the last 12 months????? Sure he's rolled out a few stories and whipped em up into a bit of hype but what has he REALLY told surfers about surfing.
Peely you could say the same thing about Tracks/Waves/ASL. They tell me nothing about surfing that I care about.

But hey, let's declare our allegiances first so evryone knows which side everyone is on. Apart from an advertiser in those publications, any other financial links?

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:41 pm

clay wrote:
Shane Peel wrote:

Peely you could say the same thing about Tracks/Waves/ASL. They tell me nothing about surfing that I care about.

But hey, let's declare our allegiances first so evryone knows which side everyone is on. Apart from an advertiser in those publications, any other financial links?
Zero mate I shoot a few photos and write a few stories. All I was trying to show was that Fred is pushing Stab's barrow just incase somebody missed it. Got nothing against Stab or any of the media but it shits me when surfing gets used as a cheap whore to sell newspapers. If you think that the other mags have told you nothing about surfing, then maybe they haven't and you can get you surf news from the likes of Pawle at the Oz.

nosedrip

Post by nosedrip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:58 pm

I don't know why I am wasting my time here....but here goes.....
revolutionsurfer wrote:Well you are certainly showing both your own ignorance and your own stupidity by your dogmatic response. People should act better than they do often, but people are flawed creatures.

Sometimes you are showing your true beliefs and sometimes you are just trying to think of the nastiest thing you could say to retaliate..which shows your lack of control, but not in every case your beliefs.
So - someone calls someone else a 'fu_king Jew' - not because they're antisemetic but - according to your finely tuned logic - because it is "the nastiest thing you could say to retaliate...". The question is - why would they decide that 'fu_king Jew' is the nastiest thing to say....perhaps because they believe it is an insult. And why? Because they associate being Jewish with negative attributes....or it is plain old ignorance. But - as you say - I am stupid and ignorant so what the hell would I know.

revolutionsurfer wrote: I saw much racial violence during segregation. I saw guys calling blacks on their football team the " N " word because they got in a fist fight at practice and then hugging their neck and going out for pizza when they had cooled off.
Hahahahahaha .....is this your way of convincing yourself that black people don't really mind being called the N word. It reminds me of when people say "some of my best friends are black" - such a bullsh1t (and revealing) statement.....

revolutionsurfer wrote:That's my issue with P.C. it picks some groups and says offending them is worse than offending others. In many ways it's the epitome of tagging and labeling. Trying to neatly package everything into a little box with a label. I don't support being acting like asses or bigots..but some things are just not that big of a deal. This incident is one of them
Limiting myself to the obvious reference point of black slavery and Hitler's little own holocaust - If you're black or Jewish or both you can make that statement with some credibility. In the same way only black comedians can use the 'N' word comfortably in a stand up routine. If you're a skinny white settler - find something else to get all worked up about.....

Perhaps to bring this petty internet forum macho bullsh1t posing back to the subject at hand....Mick Fanning is a boring surfer. He should give it up now....before someone tells him he surfs like a Jew

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Peely, I was just trying to show that you were being a big meanie and should maybe walk in the others shoes for a bit. 8) :lol:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Mick does surf like a jew.
Well, if you count "a jewish sidewinder missle going after a Hamas suicide bomber" he does.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.