Digital SLR recommendations

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

speedneedle
charger

Digital SLR recommendations

Post by speedneedle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Hey,

I'm looking to upgrade to a serious camera. (I do all my shots with the phone...there's a point where it does'nt cut it anymore.)

Biggest on my list is probably NO shutter lag. Sick of missing that moment.

I'm looking for a good range lens-wise from detail shots of boards through to a nice line-up shot.

I'm familiar with the better camera brands from pre-digital SLR days, but before I go out into the shark-pit that is Ebay, could any keen snappers give a little confidence in knowledge of who makes a a solid digital SLR? Model family...i.e Nikon D or such?

Is any second-hand one a sure bet, with this "shutter actuation" thing? Does that mean the chip can die after X shots? And is that the dead end for a digi?

Josh
http://www.joshdowlingshape.com

lessormore
barnacle

Re: Digital SLR recommendations

Post by lessormore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:58 pm

This is not an SLR but I think, the next best thing-

I'm thinking of selling my 10mp Canon Sx1-IS, I found it to have the best features of all the compact digitals (cameras that don't have removable lenses) It has a 20 times optical zoom and can take up to 4 frames per second.It also takes full HD video.
I wanted a camera that had a decent zoom but didn't need to carry extra lenses around.
Here are some pics I shot- first few are all taken from the same spot, to test out the zoom-

These are using a colour pick feature from the camera options-

and a shot from about 80 meters-

and some pics using the burst/sequence mode of Mick at Bondi-

and some footy pics-

and can you guess who No12 is, being sent off?-

Here is a link to some more detail on the camera-
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5478.htm

I want to upgrade to something like this-
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod1840.htm

although I may spend a bit more and get something with a faster burst speed.

If you're interested let me know.
The camera has been looked after and is in excellent condition.
It also has a attachment on the front for adding filters to it.

I
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:21 pm

hopper?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Bingo- and what exactly is he thinking of doing here????????
Some Digital Insertus maybe??????

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Hey Lessormore...

I'm impressed...I like it. Definately a step-up from the phone!

So the difference to SLR there is that there's no removable lens?

That would mean I can't stand on the shore at Pipe with a giant extendo tele-penis?

But if you zoomed on to the bridge from the same spot, maybe thats all I need!

Oh well...

I'll consider these things. And go feel up some in the camera shop.

What price you asking?

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Yep, the lens is fixed.
Here is one on Ebay-
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-PowerShot- ... 500wt_1040
i'll take $450 plus postage.( I'm in Syd0
The camera also takes Raw pics.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Comparisons can be found here at the bottom of the page-
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.a ... tm#compact

G 11 has 5x zoom- no HD video and CCD sensor .
SX has 20x zoom-HD video and CMOS sensor- same as SLRs

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:03 pm

If you like to shoot sports, you'll probably want to get an DSLR. Even the cheapest modern DSLRs delivery pretty solid performance. Maybe get one that comes with a couple "kit" lenses so that you have more options for shooting sports. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the ultimate quality at this stage. The difference between the image quality of an inexpensive entry level DSLR from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic etc and a top pro model is not as great as you might think given the huge price difference.

By far the most important factor in the picture taking equation is the skill of the photographer. So grab yourself an DSLR and get shooting!

ps: the shutter actuation number often mentioned is just a way to give the buyer some idea of how much use the camera has had. Pretty much any of the modern entry-level DSLRs will should be good for at least 50,000 actuations (pictures). The pro gear is typically rated 5-6x that number.

-Don

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:17 am

A few close-ups with the SX=

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:37 am

lessormore wrote:Bingo- and what exactly is he thinking of doing here????????
Some Digital Insertus maybe??????
We're talking about digital cameras here, not digital ....... well you know what I mean. :lol:

Anyway, I have a Canon EOS 350D, about 5 years old and superseded. The Canon successors have similar names with higher model numbers eg. EOS 500D.
It came with a 28-55mm and 75-300mm twin-lens kit & is fine however the lenses have relatively high starting aperture levels ie. 4.0 and 5.6 respectively. This means that if your'e taking action sports photos, namely surfing, that require fast shutter speeds and your'e in poor lighting conditions you have to adjust the ISO levels up from 100-200 to about 400-1,000 to compensate. The resultant shots will therefore look grainy.

Agree with "topher". If your'e a point & shoot person most of the time, then a digital SLR is a hassle, especially when travelling where weight and space is an issue.
Last edited by chrisb on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:38 am

A few months ago I got the step down from the sx1 - the sx20is. And couldn't be happier, takes brilliant pictures - great video and is piss easy to use. Good for shooting the kids growing up. I got the sx20 over the sx1 ONLY because I got a really really good deal.

Main diff is sx1 can do RAW images, HD vids, and the burst setting is way better. My SX20's sports mode high speed burst is a blistering one shot a second! So if you are going compact - I reckon go the SX1.

However, anyone with a bit of know how and experience can definately take better better shots with an SLR, particularly sports. More control and better specs at the extreme ends of the scale where light, or a fast moving supject will be an issue. Depends if you want to go through the whole learning curve thing. If you are just going to point and shoot (like lazy me most of the time) the difference between compact and SLR is much less. Hope this helps.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time with answers.

I was fully into photography from school days, doing the developing, y'know, stop bath, fixer, all that.

A lost art. And I used to enjoy manual shooting...f-stop, ISO, shutter speed.

I miss these things with a point-and-shoot.

I'll be doing some research after a customer gave me the inside speil on sensor size...like, the real deal has a full screen sensor or suchlike, rather than magnified. I guess it equates to the difference between a hassleblad (large format) and a kodak, sort-of...

Josh

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:16 am

I was put on to a Pentax K20D by another user on this forum, and it's great. For the price i'm really happy with it. I also found youtube is a good resource for camera reviews, a lot of camera shops review cameras and compare them to similar cameras in that price range etc, generally un-biased opinions. Narrow your selection down, look at a heap of reviews and make your choice.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:50 pm

short point jpg.jpg
A good day of 150 shots
Hi Josh if you were fully into photography before then I'd recommend the DSLR route.
Why?
You can work with the camera and see your shots through the lens and use your ISO, shutter speeds and F stops creatively ( you can do that as well with the top line compacts) but here is the real deal get slightly above an entry level DSL and spend the money on quality lenses as a start up. The smaller sensors of the entry level cameras give you even better magnification. The bigger sensors come at the bigger price and unless you are going to blow your stuff up to poster size or commercial work then it may not be worth it.
One great thing about all digital cameras No film wastage just delete the shots that don't work.
The shot i have included was shot an Canon EOS 400D 10.1megapixel ISO 400 Focal length 400
1/2000 shutterspeed at f/6.3 and here it is from about 150 metres.
I'm producing great shots but I also have a point and click waterproof to 10metre Olympus for medium water shots.
I'm loving it
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:09 pm

thanks for the info guys

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 pm

I have a Canon 400D with twin lens 17-85 IS and 75-300 IS. Best camera I have ever owned and superb for taking both stills of my two boys (no that's not one of them in the pink!!!) and some action shots like surfing. Can highly recommend though when shooting action shots like surfing that one uses the back button focus. Crisp, in focus shots every time!!!
IMG_3802.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2209.jpg

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:10 pm

otway1949 wrote:
short point jpg.jpg
Hi Josh if you were fully into photography before then I'd recommend the DSLR route.
Why?
You can work with the camera and see your shots through the lens and use your ISO, shutter speeds and F stops creatively
Thanks Ot...my thoughts exactly.

Looks like a few others have appreciated the information coming through too...

Good one, I'm getting some confidence.

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:42 am

Donweather wrote:I have a Canon 400D with twin lens 17-85 IS and 75-300 IS. Best camera I have ever owned and superb for taking both stills of my two boys (no that's not one of them in the pink!!!) and some action shots like surfing. Can highly recommend though when shooting action shots like surfing that one uses the back button focus. Crisp, in focus shots every time!!!
I have the same body, except the cheaper 18-55mm and 75-300mm EF lens kit... I've yet to discover this "back button"? I have blown many great shots with surprise unexpected blur from the AF. It's still the best camera I have ever owned, but it has had issues from day one ( dead pixels in sensor AND in the LCD, among other things ). For example, I have no idea where the two identically positioned smudges in all my shots come from. :cry: