Is the end nigh, for nippers?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: Is the end nigh, for nippers?

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 am

kids are dangerous - they have free wills, little incomes and free-flying surfboards! they should be outlawed from the beaches to make them safe for adults with job and cars and quivers - full spotless quivers! fucken kids off our beaches!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 am

p.s. 'chris symington' has gotta be a made-up name! dinosaur is a bullshit artist as well as a cunt!

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:01 am

Lucky Al wrote:p.s. 'chris symington' has gotta be a made-up name! dinosaur is a bullshit artist as well as a cunt!
i won't touch the second half of your statement ( 8) but I checked the website: Chris Symington is in fact the Sport Development manager. Assuming this is all legit I might be interested in getting my 2 boys involved. I was only in nippers 1 year and had thought it might be a good way to teach my boys about surf safety/knowledge etc, but the above comments about sitting around and chasing 'flags' have put me off a bit.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

shambles

Post by shambles » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:24 am

How would it be different to what most surf schools offer? I see kids out everyday afterschool with the surfschool at Bondi.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 am

Horrible idea! Imagine having SLSC AND juniour surfer clubs swarming the beach with 1000's of people, cars, angry parents, rubbish etc every weekend. Organisations that need money and need more kids and their parents money. Encouraging more and more kids down the beach. We need less people at the beach!

You should teach your own kids to surf or let them learn themselves.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:55 am

Coops@DY wrote:
You should teach your own kids to surf .
I plan to. Just try and stop me 8)
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:57 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:
nuffink ngo wrote:Or.....
Lets introduce another group of misguided control freaks to the beach along with more organised activities for the kiddies.
Children should not participate in any activity that isn't organised by adults as they may subliminally THINK & LEARN for themselves in an unstructured enviroment.
If only some sort of "court " could be devised to play surfing in, that would make it safer.
The advent of the "surf school" concept has only helped to move surfing from a recreational past time to a competetive sport with mum & "Uncle/Mummies special friend" cheering on the sideline.
Yeah fair call I reckon. My ....... But what we don't need is more structure and regulation. The idea is ok but it's ripe for abuse by insecure fcukwits with power complexes. Just like nippers and just like some boardriders clubs.
agreed, ron.
or some f.ked up unit with paedophile tendencies. beaurocracy doesn't belong on the beach.

Dino, i wouldn't let you anywhere near my kids, mate. no offence.
nice cross-pollenation of the thread, though, wayne. very nice.

Wayne, in all seriousness now, do you mean something more or something different to a "surf school"? aren't some basic safety aspects covered in the session with the surf school instructor?
how would this differ?
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 am

Last edited by jimmy on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:59 am

dinosaur wrote: Without rules **** would be living in the gutter swilling cheap malt liquor helping Lucky Al sell sweet and sour labrador from his food cart.
like your good self?
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:04 pm

Coops@DY wrote:Horrible idea! Imagine having SLSC AND juniour surfer clubs swarming the beach with 1000's of people, cars, angry parents, rubbish etc every weekend. Organisations that need money and need more kids and their parents money. Encouraging more and more kids down the beach. We need less people at the beach!

You should teach your own kids to surf or let them learn themselves.
With ya there Coops.. I was strongly "encouraged" by my parents as a kid to pursue nippers, cricket, football etc.. All the "respectable" sports.. (it was the early 80's and surfing was still looked upon as a bit of a dropout sport at best)..

I won the state flags as an 8 yr old but still remember not wanting to go.. Would've much preferred to be hanging out with my mates and riding my coolite..

The thing that attracted me to surfing was the lack of organisation.. 30 yrs later I'm still surfing and not in fcuken surf club thats for freaking sure..
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:09 pm

Wayne. :lol:
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:22 pm

I think it's a good idea Dino, provided it's managed properly, keeps the nazis away from running it and focuses on safety and fun.

All you cnuts whinge about kooks and how there's too many novices with no idea of the 'rules' ... yet bag the fcuk out of an idea that may very well bear fruit and lessen the issues.

So if you're all saying we don't need it because we'll teach our own kids thank you, why is there a problem on nearly every beach in Australia?

Ahhh, could it be because little Johhny wants to surf and mummy's got him a nice new board for his birthday and taken him to YOUR beach to fend and learn for himself.

Although you all say you'll teach your kids properly without all the formality, most don't ... or can't.

I hope it gets a guernsey and works, and I'm sure some parents might learn something about water safety from their kids ... even seasoned salty old dogs who know it all.

Besides, if I had a choice of spending the entire day teaching my kid to surf week in week out, or dropping them into a 'nippers for surfers' type school for a couple of hours a week and getting some waves myself as well as having input into their surfing knowledge the rest of the time, I'd take it.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

Coops@DY wrote:Wayne. :lol:
Missed that one..
Last edited by jimmy on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

cousteau
regular

Post by cousteau » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:39 pm

how about spending an hour and a half actually in the water yourself with child teaching them on a sunday.

Can happily attest to this being possibly the most satisfying thing I have done this summer.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm

dinosaur wrote:Thanks for your email Wayne.
Wayne? Wayne!!!!!

Wayne. :shock:
dinosaur wrote:Without rules **** would be living in the gutter swilling cheap malt liquor
Is that bad?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:04 pm

waynes-world_l.jpg
waynes-world_l.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:09 pm

Some earthy/salty young chap whose name ends in 'y' runs mini me waterman bootcamp of sorts for kiddies down iBond these days Dino. Maybe that's what you had in mind. Seems harmless enough, but i learn't the old fashioned way, in fact while my ya ya and papou fished for piddly little yellow tail off the old jetty at your pseudo locale in the few years before it got totalled by "THE STORM OF '74", i honed my skills on a prized KFC Cooly at in that gnarly shory.
Tell you one thing it taught me comrade, patience.

K10
Grommet

Post by K10 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:06 pm

I think its a good idea dino

My kids (6 & 10) are in nippers and have learnt a lot about the surf in the couple of years that they have been doing it

My oldest now does mini iron mans at nippers and my youngest can paddle a board out and around the cans and catch a wave back in.

I have tried in the past to get them to catch waves on thier softboards but they give up after a while and just want to play.

They now have the self confidence to paddle out and catch a wave (thanks to nippers) that they wouldn't have had learning with me in a non-formal system.

They benefit from peer group pressure and comaradery of being in an organised activity with other kids their age and they are less likey to give up and make sand castles.

They now hassle me after I've had a surf to take them out an teach them to "standup surf" as apposed to clubby style wave catching. This would not have happened without structured learning through nippers

Both my kids are execellent skiers as well, courtesy of ski school, due to the companionship of having other kids inthe group - they would not have progressed to their current level with me teaching them alone ( and I am a qualified ski instructor)

Also, recently we received an email through nippers from the local surfing club (not SLSC) wanting to setup a junior division for kids to learn how to surf and then compete. They would benefit by learning from experienced adults along with other kids, rather than just one-on-one.

Im sure many of you learnt on your own or with mates, I did as my dad did not surf.(however he taught me to body surf)

Maybe I would have been a better surfer if such a program was available in the 70's.