Snorkeling spots around Sydney

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snorkeling spots around Sydney

Post by admin » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:01 am

Hey all, given this interminable flat spell, I've been casting around for reasons to get in the water... anyway, as lots of you will know, Barry and I had a preliminary snorkle around north curly the other day and we're stoked. So, I thought I'd start a thread for people to tip off their fave snorkeling spots. I've heard for instance that Shelly Beach and around the Bower is absolutely brilliant...

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:19 am

I've been doing quite a bit of snorkleing lately. Clovelly is famous for it's snorkleing, unfortunately last year some bastard killed the massive gropper that use to hang out in the bay. But still it is well worth a look.

Last weekend I went snorkleing around south bondi just outside the ice bergs, it wasn't too bad.

Dave
regular
Location: Central coast, out the back, 6 foot and glassy, no crowds

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:16 pm

Try

-North Avalon
-North Bondi
-Harboard (out front of the Diggers)

All good for snorkelling and scuba diving

joedirt

Post by joedirt » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:12 pm

In between crosswaves and the pool at newport is pretty good, saw a monster wobbyegong lookin shark there last week. Altough the bottom isnt anything flashy to look at and the visibility can suck around the pool, but still well worth it. just checkin out all the fish

Also at South Av, jump off at the pool and cruise up past LA , when the backfish are about ,that can be quite interesting

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:07 pm

Gordon's Bay - round the corner from Cloey is superb on the right day.
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

CLS

Post by CLS » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:12 pm

Have been snorkelling in Long Bay - not very good. Also went down to Cape Banks - south of Maroubra, hepas of fish / sharks / valleys - good stuff. This spot is a marine reserve but you can still spear in it. Great spot.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:36 pm

saturday 31st i went snorkelling out newport reef, just out from the break sharkies n saw sum really kool shit...a big blue groper, big blackfish, farken massive ray, it was heaps kool i got right up 2 it n everything...n can u fukin believe it i sw a farken stonefish! i had no idea there were ne around here, n wats worse is it was on d bottom just out from d tak-off at crosswaves!

flatrocker

Post by flatrocker » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:15 pm

Don I'll try to find some photos I took underwater at the Bower in the 80's and see what we had to surf in when the Ocean Outfall was around the corner at Blue Fin.
It was grey and colourless and the fish looked like the ones on The Simpsons in the river next to the Nuclear Power Plant! Three eyes rotting sores yuck.
I lived in addison rd. about 7 years ago and we would spend lots of time there in at Shelley Beach snorkelling and also surfing/snorkelling out the Bower.
Now it is a real reef with coulour and life as they sent the citys crap out to sea so now Long Reef gets a filtered version of the outfall when the Southerly blows hard.

Hedgehog
Local

Post by Hedgehog » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:20 am

Been snorkelling out at Shelley a few times, theres some nice sights to be had there. Some good reef and nice fish.

Well worth a look.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:50 pm

ya gotta try newport reef sometime.....i did it and heres a list of the cool stuff i saw: BIG blue groper, heapsa big, multicoloured reef fish (not the kind u c out great barreir reef n stuff but still kool.) underwater caves and ledges with giant fish in them, morey eel, HUGE stingray, sh*tloads of sea urchins and what suprised me most...get this i saw a fu*king STONEFISH! now can someone fill me in here but theyr not sposed 2 b around here, theyr meant 2 b up north in QLD! my friend went 2 dive down 2 grab somethin n he almost touched the bastard - u CAN NOT see them against a rock! we dived after him and grabbed him before he could get 2 close. scary.

FuzzyPumper

Post by FuzzyPumper » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:27 pm

hmm, yeah nth curly is good. Snorkelling around HMAS Penguin once or twice, not a bad spot. Curracurrang (Royal National Park) is also not a bad place and if your there, do the wattamolla jump (heh).