Seasonal Patterns. Indo

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

DucksNuts
regular

Seasonal Patterns. Indo

Post by DucksNuts » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 pm

So we're going to Java in July for a surf trip.
And I was wondering what swell patterns the Indian Ocean tends to follow.
I.E. if a retardedly good early season occurs, what are the hopes for peak and late season? And vice versa.
Being east coast aus, I've only ever kept my eyes on Pacific patterns until very recently.
Even first couple years of geography at uni, we've tended to focus on the Pacific basin. Indian ocean and its climactic patterns have tended to be mentioned in passing when the global influence of El Nino is touched on.
So.....whats the consensus on Indo 2010

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Seasonal Patterns. Indo

Post by Donweather » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:36 pm

I do have to say that early season 2010 looks to be damn good thus far, so not sure what that means for later in the season. For someone that has some spare time on their hands they could well do some research through the archives to see if the Indian Ocean smokes after a good El Nino/Northern Hemi winter smoking season?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Indian Ocean turns on....but I can't recall if this was preceding a smokin El Nino/Northern Hemi winter or succeeding a smokin El Nino/Northern Hemi winter. My ageing memory is leaning towards the later.........

Squidlips
barnacle

Re: Seasonal Patterns. Indo

Post by Squidlips » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm

the seasonal trade winds rule over where you will be surfing. (which side of the isalnds)

theres heaps on the internets about them.