F******g J*w

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Clif
barnacle

Re: F******g J*w

Post by Clif » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:30 am

I like Chuckie but think about it, the whole year he'd been mocking Fanning in print and in online reporting, calling him a robot and implying that he's a disaster for professional surfing's progressive image etc etc. And it's not like Chuck knows a shit load about surfing at that level.

Then after this whole year of more or less pissing on Mick, while Mick is quietly going about a task that's frankly well beyond most of his peers much less anybody else, he actually goes to Mick's world champ celebration party!

If youse reckon he went there hoping for a kiss and make up then you don't know how some writers think. Conflict is the blood of journalism...but when the journalist provokes the conflict, it's less blood and more pus, if you get my drift.
Mick could have said "F*ck Off" or something such thing. Surely. Instead he resorted to bigotry. I don't think "Chuckie" fishing for conflict led to Mick being a bigot, but rather to him expressing his already existent bigotry. Mick said it. Not "Chuckie". I am sure it took "Chuckie" by surprise, too.

It's lousy and really insensitive behaviour by both, I reckon.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:44 am

Clif wrote:
I like Chuckie but think about it, the whole year he'd been mocking Fanning in print and in online reporting, calling him a robot and implying that he's a disaster for professional surfing's progressive image etc etc. And it's not like Chuck knows a shit load about surfing at that level.

Then after this whole year of more or less pissing on Mick, while Mick is quietly going about a task that's frankly well beyond most of his peers much less anybody else, he actually goes to Mick's world champ celebration party!

If youse reckon he went there hoping for a kiss and make up then you don't know how some writers think. Conflict is the blood of journalism...but when the journalist provokes the conflict, it's less blood and more pus, if you get my drift.
Mick could have said "F*ck Off" or something such thing. Surely. Instead he resorted to bigotry. I don't think "Chuckie" fishing for conflict led to Mick being a bigot, but rather to him expressing his already existent bigotry. Mick said it. Not "Chuckie". I am sure it took "Chuckie" by surprise, too.

It's lousy and really insensitive behaviour by both, I reckon.
You've hit the nail on the head there Clif.. Calling him an "fcuking cnut" would surely have had the same effect.. Why he pulled out the "J" word is beyond me..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:26 pm

I have a westie "mate" who calls people and things jew, jewish and he's 100% clueless what it is. Think he means someone has more money than him.

Isn't the point of some of the issue, that Jews weren't allowed to own property and their only recourse was to trade?

There's a gap in history, it's missing from public school primary education, I think.

ignorants

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:26 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:Why he pulled out the "J" word is beyond me..
I think for the same reason Mel Gibson did ... he was drunk.

I thought it took either big balls or blind stupidity of Smith to walk into the party ... either way it got the result.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:Peel , you represent , what Smith very adequately revealed by the Stab interview , that the surfing industry is fcuking boring and has lost touch with the real world. It , like you , hasn't grown up. Fanning was racist , no doubt about that , and is trying to get out of it by saying he was being ironic??? Come on , anyone with half a brain won't buy that.

The interview was very revealing about the "scene".....every surfer that has a vague interest in the "industry" and "culture" or more importantly the lack of , should read the Charlie Smith piece.

Don't be a pawn Peel , show some individuality pal. It's pathetic.
Hey BB,
Thanks for the tip mate. What I was trying to explain was that Chuckie does not really know his subject well enough to understand what was being said nor does he understand surfing, I was also pointing out the whole thing is just to sell mags in the lowest possible manner by creating false controversy.
If you know Fanning or have reported on surfing for a decent amount of time you would realize Mick saying that was no more offensive than that line in the Castle where Ferouck pulls out the cash to pay for the lawyer and the lead actor says "What is it with ethnic slur goes here and cash" it's as much a term of endearment as anything.
Sure Mick said it but Smith is twisting it around to sell magazines because he does not have the knowledge or skills to write about the surfing. The PR to cover the twisted around story was pretty average but it kind of gets the message across. Funny thing is Brad I can see you as a Stab reader so argument with you is way outta my league I'm not sensitive enough.

daisy
regular

Post by daisy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
You've hit the nail on the head there Clif.. Calling him an "fcuking cnut" would surely have had the same effect.. Why he pulled out the "J" word is beyond me.
well i'll have a Stab at it - it was coz he is from a world where there are basically no actual Jewish people. he used that word (stupidly) because in his world it is an insult, and he was in need of an insult. there are hundreds of years of mostly European history of why he happened to grasp that particular word, though i doubt he has much awareness of any of that. i'm betting this was no Mel Gibson moment.

the discussion here is humming along pretty nicely, but i'm surprised not to see:
(i) any reference to the whole US vs. Australia context on the recent blackface thing with Harry Connick Jr. (in this case either stick with US vs. Oz or substitute Goldy vs. Bondi if you prefer)
(ii) no suggestion that for MF it is something like the distinction some people are trying to make between gay and ghey. jhews anyone? i doubt Fanning has actually ever had to sustain any real kind of interaction with an actual person that he knew was of Jewish descent.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

nor does he understand surfing
people keep writing this. What does it have to do with anything?

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:56 pm

If you know Fanning or have reported on surfing for a decent amount of time you would realize Mick saying that was no more offensive than that line in the Castle where Ferouck pulls out the cash to pay for the lawyer and the lead actor says "What is it with ethnic slur goes here and cash" it's as much a term of endearment as anything.
A term of "endearment" :shock: And that line in the Castle was a dig at the systemic racism in Australia, so it was not a term of "endearment" but meant to highlight such. Really, Mr Peel, really, a "term of endearment" :?: :!:

It strikes me that some people are concerned about calling a spade a spade and are defending Mick because they "know about surfing" (WTF?), or maybe it is that they dare not upset the applecart for fear future interviews may be at stake :?: The defence being mounted on Mick's behalf is revealing. Complicity with bigotry is just as intolerable IMHO. ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing.’ Edmund Burke. I don't think I would think it a joke or ironic if he used my community as an insult. Why didn't he say: "you're a f*ckign white man" :?: Because he associated "j*w" with being derogatory.

Also: see STAB's retraction of an "ironic" n*gger slur. Pot. Kettle. Black.
Last edited by Clif on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Every writer, good bad or indifferent brings their value and moral system to the table every-time they sit down to tap out a sentence.

Most of this immovable bed-rock in the current strata of surf journalism drills down to to sheer opportunism, blatant careerism and self interest.
Whether that is just mock controversy in the case of Smith or offend no-one fence sitting retire to a job within the industry hackism so prevalent in most publications.
It's all just different faces of the same animal.

Smith's basic premise: that pro surfers should be more like rock stars or Hollywood celebs is kind of morally bankrupt and paper thin but courting controversy occasionally gets it more mileage than it's lack of substance deserves.

Just like Britney though people get boundary fatigue and you find yourself debasing further and further to maintain coverage.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Clif wrote:
nor does he understand surfing
people keep writing this. What does it have to do with anything?
Ahhhh … "Realsurf Forums", "Stab Surfing Magazine" If the article was published in a tabloid or a gossip rag fair enough but it was in a surfing magazine Clif old mate and it was a quote from a surfers World Title party the use of the word was unfortunate but hell it was Mick's party celebrating a world title win and Smith snuck in and ambushed the champ weak and low to say the least. Smith knew he would get a rise from the champ he had been goading him all year maybe the smart thing to do would have been just drop him on the spot and keep the words for later. Smith sought out Fanning not the other way.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Clif wrote:A significant conflation of issues there Olds.
Well sort of. I actually didn't conflate the issue at all, I completely ignored it and used it as a means to bash an organisation, nay, a mindset, that defines hypocrisy in my book, but I understand what you are saying.

I have done that in an attempt to juxtapose, sort of, in the minds of readers, the fact that something deeply horrible, tragic, despicable and nasty has now been associated with a pro-surfer uttering a bigoted slur, schoolboy style, because of the involvement of an organisation that seems to be here to rationalise away war crimes.

Grannies and children being murdered in cold blood by army goons, on the streets of Palestine, with commentary and rationalisation from the JBoD.

Surfer calls a journalist a derogatory name, and JBoD are called upon to comment.

Makes me ill really.
Last edited by oldman on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Nick likes him (CS) because he's smart Steve.

And that's why Matt doesn't like him.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:40 pm

why DID you coin the phrase "Belljew Hill" BB?
are you a bigoted, eastern suburbs ignorant snob?
do you look down on the jewish community in the Bondi area?
maybe you despise them because you have to rub shoulders with them daily?
or did they steal your parking spot?

explain your anti-jew jibes, BB?
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:45 pm

daryl wrote:I have a westie "mate" who calls people and things jew, jewish and he's 100% clueless what it is. Think he means someone has more money than him.

Isn't the point of some of the issue, that Jews weren't allowed to own property and their only recourse was to trade?

There's a gap in history, it's missing from public school primary education, I think.

ignorants
Exactly and that's what Smith so efficiently portrays. Ignorance.

So fcuking what if Smith doesn't know what it's like to surf in the Pipeline Masters. Hello!!!...there's only a couple on here (prob one) that does know. That's not CS's skill set...His skill set is getting the story and he got it cnuts ....... and what an insight....better than the dribble we normally get....all the hero worshipping bullshit.....fcuking hell. :roll:

Matt , you dumb shit , there's a diff between taking the piss and outright vitriol (someone please explain the last term for the pink batt).

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:27 pm

steve shearer wrote:Huh Nick?

How can you say you like the guy?

Your saying he's clueless about Pro surfing (which he makes a living writing about) and that he's basically a pus-filled chancre on the body of the noble pursuit of surf journalism.

Please explain.
Hmmm shit I don't know! I really don't always know why I like some people and not others. I didn't think much of what he did in the lead-up to this case but what the hell, that's just me -- I wouldn't tear strips off someone all year long without any effort to appreciate what he was trying to achieve, then go to his celebratory party in an effort to get a story out of it. Or at least I haven't yet.

But you know it is possible that everyone's reading a bit too much into all this. Sorta vaguely watching the thread to see who's the first to bring up Hitler.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:

Your saying he's clueless about Pro surfing (which he makes a living writing about) and that he's basically a pus-filled chancre on the body of the noble pursuit of surf journalism.

Please explain.
Hmmm shit I don't know! I really don't always know why I like some people and not others. I didn't think much of what he did in the lead-up to this case but what the hell, that's just me -- I wouldn't tear strips off someone all year long without any effort to appreciate what he was trying to achieve, then go to his celebratory party in an effort to get a story out of it. Or at least I haven't yet.

But you know it is possible that everyone's reading a bit too much into all this. Sorta vaguely watching the thread to see who's the first to bring up Hitler.
:lol: :lol: And the fact that Mick looks a bit like an Aryan Poster Boy... :shock: :shock:
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:37 pm

arrghgh....mudderfcuker....I was just about to launch into a hitler analogy.

anyways here is a little cut from the QuikPro which may throw some (very diffuse) light on the sich.
(in the most random way, to be honest).
http://www.vimeo.com/10244324
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:

Please explain.

wow yes finally. this is months old by the way, it's just your Sydney dunny paper broadsheet only just caught wind of it now cos of a minority organisation sooking.