Provoked shark attacks!!!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Ned Flanders
Grommet

Provoked shark attacks!!!

Post by Ned Flanders » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:26 am

I saw the following article on the RS site recently:

http://www.realsurf.com/2010/03/06/shar ... -activity/

The articles like these always talk about unprovoked shark attacks. You never hear about the provoked shark attack. Are there any provoked shark attacks and are they ever reported ? You never hear about the time someone grabbed a shark by the tale and pulled a little too had and the shark turned around and bit him. Sharks are very sensitive little devils; very easy to provoke I would have thought. Just swimming in the sea, for example, could be misconstrued as a home invasion of sorts......

Interestingly WikiHow has a section on how to prevent a shark attack.

http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-a-Shark-Attack

In summary:

1. Stay out of shark-infested waters
2. Know your shark
3. Carry a weapon
4. Dress appropriately
5. Be vigilant
6. Move gracefully
7. Swim in a group
8. Recognize aggressive behavior
9. Stay out of the water at night and during dawn and dusk
10. Stay out of the water if bleeding
11. Avoid provoking sharks

matt...
charger

Re: Provoked shark attacks!!!

Post by matt... » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:22 am

12. exercise the blatantly obvious.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:48 pm

CARRY A WEAPON!!!????

christ almighty, that had to have been written by a landlubber American.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:11 pm

some guy's Da' from my w**k has a daily swim around a point up the north coast, and he carries a fcuken weapon.

Needless to say, his son must be the fattes-st tard around

and uses the word w0rry :roll: more than me Mum ever did.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:31 pm

I like "Move gracefully" I can see how this could be very effective.

Regarding weapons, I'm not sure what weapon would work against a 5 metre great white driven to blood frenzy by your awkward movements. I don't think traditional Aussie weapons like the broken schooner or cricket bat would be sufficient.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Seem to remember that Florida base world shark attack file which gets headlines once a year has a category for provoked attacks. Maybe we just don't understand "you lookin' at me?" in shark speak.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:17 pm

(wearily) sharks are not human.

they do not exhibit human behaviour.

chances of shark responding to, say, gun strapped to human belt: zero.

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 pm

I read somewhere a story about a diver, I think in California. Got surprised by a monster Great White he tried to scare it off and poked it with his spear gun (I think) when it swam past, and then it attacked him in defence. So the weapon use made it worse.
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:05 pm

cull, cull, cull, cull, cull, cull :!:

they are out there plotting and waiting

RIGHT NOW :shock:

they will attack again....there ATTACKS are slowly becoming less random and more co- ordinated :!:

they will keep probing our defences :( ...and once they realize we have nothing but stupid nets they can swin under or around :cry: :arrow:

it will be a bloodbath on all our beaches :shock: AGAIN :!:

fight back b4 it's tooo late :idea:

cull, cull, cull, cull , cull

p.s there called noahs.....cause they noah bloody everything....cull, cull,cull
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:27 pm

Stuff the sharks- it's more dangerous being on dry land-everyone should be out in the water!
Snakes bite 5 in NSW
Posted Sun Mar 7, 2010 4:49pm AEDT

MAP: Sydney 2000
Five people have been bitten by snakes across New South Wales during a three-hour period today.

An eight-year-old boy from Yorklea in northern New South Wales and a 70-year-old woman from Sydney's south-west were among the victims.

All are reported to be in a stable condition in hospitals across the state.

Paramedic Kristie Sky from the ambulance service says it is peak snake season at this time of the year.

"The things that people were doing when they got bitten range from being in their garage to being out in backyard or walking in the garden," she said.

"Nothing overly dangerous has stood [out] that people were doing - they were just going about their daily business and unfortunately they just came into the same territory as the snake."
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:02 am

lessormore wrote:Stuff the sharks- it's more dangerous being on dry land-everyone should be out in the water!
Snakes bite 5 in NSW
Posted Sun Mar 7, 2010 4:49pm AEDT

MAP: Sydney 2000
Five people have been bitten by snakes across New South Wales during a three-hour period today.

An eight-year-old boy from Yorklea in northern New South Wales and a 70-year-old woman from Sydney's south-west were among the victims.

All are reported to be in a stable condition in hospitals across the state.

Paramedic Kristie Sky from the ambulance service says it is peak snake season at this time of the year.

"The things that people were doing when they got bitten range from being in their garage to being out in backyard or walking in the garden," she said.

"Nothing overly dangerous has stood [out] that people were doing - they were just going about their daily business and unfortunately they just came into the same territory as the snake."
bloody not wrong there!
every time i go into my laundry i think i'm gunna see a bloody red bellied black snake!
i swear there's one under the crate that my HWS sits on. i accidently ran over a baby one with Victa when i first moved in.
i've got a wasps nest under the carport!
bush turkeys are mutating into super turkeys with the ability to leap over several houses in a single bound - no wait, they have wings.
and i take my chances on the F3 a coupla times a week!
sharks are the LEAST of my worries...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 am

THE SNAKES ARE COMING!
Man bitten twice in face by brown snake
Posted 40 minutes ago

MAP: Scone 2337
An man is in a serious condition in hospital after being bitten in the face by a brown snake in the New South Wales upper Hunter Valley.

Hospital sources say the man was bitten twice last night and was flown to Newcastle's Calvary Mater hospital in the region's rescue helicopter.

He is in a serious but stable condition.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:14 am

^^^ Giving it a kiss?

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:01 pm

There are some spear fishing websites that will show you how to make a weapon against big fish.
It was sort of like a home made waterproof gun, that fired blanks, but when held against a fishes head or flank would put a massive hole in the fish. (ok if you survived being bitten in half)

as for provoked attacks, anyone else seen jackass, where steve rides the fins of 6ft hammerheads in open water? and i think its jackass 2 where they use steve as bait and a decent mako goes for his leg and he accidentally kicks it away when the sharks in full charge.

bonkers !!

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:15 pm

No-one is safe! Anywhere!
(Except out in the ocean surfing!) :shock:
Snakes alive: weather brings out reptiles
By Angela Lavoipierre and staff

Posted 20 minutes ago

Experts say the eastern brown snake is not especially inclined to attack people. (Wikimedia Commons: Peter Woodard, file photo)

MAP: Aberdeen 2336
RELATED STORY: Man bitten twice in face by brown snake
Experts are warning that warm weather combined with the recent rain across large parts of Australia has increased the prevalence of snake sightings and attacks.

Two people have sustained dangerous snake bites in New South Wales in the past 24 hours, while six people in Queensland were taken to hospital today after being bitten.

A woman in her 40s is in a serious condition in hospital after being bitten on the foot by a snake in the Blue Mountains, making her the eighth victim in six days in NSW.

She was taken by ambulance from her house in Winmalee to Nepean Hospital.

Among those treated in Queensland was a 15-month-old boy who was taken to Bundaberg Hospital with puncture wounds to his stomach.

Meanwhile a 26-year-old man was taken to Ipswich Hospital with a suspected brown snake bite.

Last night a snake handler was bitten twice on the face by a deadly eastern brown snake at his home at Aberdeen in the Upper Hunter Valley.

The 38-year-old snake handler was given antivenom and is recovering in hospital in a stable condition.

Dr Jane Melville, a herpetologist from Museum Victoria, says the face is a strange place to be bitten and a snake handler is an unlikely victim.

"Often professional snake handlers are careful and take precautions in what they're doing," she said.

"There are situations where people need to handle snakes with their hands of course, but I would say it is unusual to have a snake near your face."

The usual precautions include the use of heavy canvas bags and snake sticks that allow handlers to keep snakes a safe distance from their body most of the time.

Dr Melville says the eastern brown is not especially inclined to attack people.

"I wouldn't say it's an aggressive snake looking to bite people," she said.

"It's usually a situation it's put in that leads it to try to bite people."

Feeling the heat

A spokesman for Sydney's Taronga Zoo says the warm weather and rain has brought the snakes out.

"The warm weather means it's peak snake season, and the bit of rain we've had brings out other animals which the snakes eat," the spokesman said.

"Our advice is to give them a wide berth where possible."

An ambulance spokesman advises snake bite victims to remain still to prevent venom being pumped through the lymphatic system and to apply a pressure bandage to the affected area and dial triple 0.

Warwick Dyer from the Australian Reptile Park says if someone is bitten too many times, the antivenom can make them sick.

"There's a thing called serum sickness. Basically it's a foreign object going into your body attacking the venom and your body doesn't like that, so naturally it's going to react to it," he said.

- ABC/AAP

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 pm

To return to topic , I remember pissing myself laughing at documentary footage of Ron and Valerlie Taylor demonstrating their new chain mail protective suit. It started out all normal with a medium sized reef shark having a go at the forearm like a big dog when a second one skulls up behind and latches on to the backbof the neck for a few hairy moments. I reckon that'd apply as a documented case of a provoked attack.