NO TOXIC SHIP

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

matt...
charger

NO TOXIC SHIP

Post by matt... » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:53 pm

tomorrow 10am the sharktower...

Avoca Beach Residents action group petition:
http://www.noship.com.au

local news:
http://express-advocate-wyong.whereiliv ... -adelaide/
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: NO TOXIC SHIP

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 pm

make a great bands name :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:52 am

"Help us to stop them polluting our ocean and people with toxic metal!"

Toxic metal?! :roll:

Another case of the vocal nutcase minority wanking off on a non-issue.

Roy? You part of this?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:"Help us to stop them polluting our ocean and people with toxic metal!"

Roy? You part of this?
Roy's too busy designing a board to take to Wales for the next big Severn Bore event. Gonna break the distance record. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 am

Animal_Chin wrote:"Help us to stop them polluting our ocean and people with toxic metal!"

Roy? You part of this?
actually, it was a strong showing of about 600 residents & supporters of the issue.

including senior members of the surf club, boardriders, local doctors, recreational divers, resident ocean biologist, local business owners & many concerned residents.
You might say a lot of the people that turned up were well informed, intellectual, socially concerned & environmentally concerned, mr animal chin.

the metal may not be toxic, but the 1500 litres of paint on it may be. As well as the cabling & other services in the bulkheads. This is something we don't know. It is something that the local, state or federal govt. has bothered to find out either.
Everyone who attended just wanted a chance to get some answers.
Most want a detailed Environmental Impact Study done, some wanted it further out to sea, some didn't want it at all.
No-one wanted it in the proposed location. we still don't.
NO SHIP.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:25 am

no ship.jpg
no ship1.jpg

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I really don't get why Surfrider didn't get all over this and block it. They were on the original list of interested parties but they are only just now saying they are in favour of continued monitoring of the ship in case of toxic leaks. Wouldn't they care if it ruined the surf breaks at Avoca? All a bit strange and too late.

I like the idea of moving it out further, like the toxins won't kill anything out there? Probably they'd be just as happy to sink it off Terrigal or Macs, as long as it's not in Avoca. :?:

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 pm

whats with the flag?
the dreams that stuff was made of

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:18 pm

^^^^^
Yeah, cool, just an australian writing in an australian forum asking questions for australia about the australian environment.
the dreams that stuff was made of

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:12 pm

murrum wrote:whats with the flag?
same thought, bunch self-satisfied righteous cnuts. There are millions of impoverished, diseased people in the world these intelligent :roll: :roll: posers could be doing something about, oh no, it's in our backyard.

I got nothing, but at least I spend half my life doing something that may help some poor cnuts live a better life. Not that our fcucked govt funds anything like that, nah, i work shit-kicking.

Fcuk off back to your country properties, fat pigs

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:18 pm

loofy wrote:how the darn do you know anything about most of those people Darryl, who they help and what they do??

seems like a pretty presumptious statement to me...
true, true. Still, I'll bet that most of those people got their mortgages, house and contents insurance, and kids into school, excuse me for being different but that's all I'm saying, before looking after the rest of the world

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:26 pm

matt... wrote:

Roy? You part of this?
actually, it was a strong showing of about 600 residents & supporters of the issue.

including senior members of the surf club, boardriders, local doctors, recreational divers, resident ocean biologist, local business owners & many concerned residents.
You might say a lot of the people that turned up were well informed, intellectual, socially concerned & environmentally concerned, mr animal chin.

the metal may not be toxic, but the 1500 litres of paint on it may be. As well as the cabling & other services in the bulkheads. This is something we don't know. It is something that the local, state or federal govt. has bothered to find out either.

NO SHIP.
Think you're the first to get a dive wreck in your area? Think that it's never been done before? Get your head out of your arse mate. I worked on cleaning up the Swan before it was sunk off Dunsborough. The EPA have incredibly strict standards on what can be sunk and what can't. Do some research.

600 is a majority movement in the area? Bullshite.

I can understand if the site is blocking waves or affecting sand movement or any other legitimate concern, but "OMGWTFBBQ!! TOXIC METAL WILL KILL THE BABIES!!!" is pure crap.

I really am turning into my grandfather... god help me...

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:40 am

Interestingly the only "valid" complaint appears to be about not being consulted. Scuttles for dive wrecks have occurred all over the country without negative impact on the surrounding environment.

Byond that though, what media interest do you think you are gonna get when,going through all of the photos, there is not one looker among them :shock: Surely you could body paint a few of the local skanks to drum up some 'awareness"!

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 am

"when a shark bites of your leg!
and takes a child you love
What next!"

Quote - dan Santangelo (Express Advocate Article)

This issue is far more complex than I have been led to believe :shock:

The Oracle
regular

Post by The Oracle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:51 am

I worked on the acquisition of this ship a couple of years back when the feds opened tender on it, was working in a NSW central agency and from memory there wasn't much complaint about it back then. It was supposed to bring in a fair bit of tourist cash, provide a site for local divers, and the artificial reef was actually supposed to be good for marine life. How far out are they proposing sinking it? Coz I guarantee most people won't even know it's there, just a new excuse for a whinge. Go complain about something worthwhile.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:
matt... wrote:

Roy? You part of this?

NO SHIP.
Think you're the first to get a dive wreck in your area? Think that it's never been done before? Get your head out of your arse mate. I worked on cleaning up the Swan before it was sunk off Dunsborough. The EPA have incredibly strict standards on what can be sunk and what can't. Do some research.

600 is a majority movement in the area? Bullshite.

I can understand if the site is blocking waves or affecting sand movement or any other legitimate concern, but "OMGWTFBBQ!! TOXIC METAL WILL KILL THE BABIES!!!" is pure crap.

I really am turning into my grandfather... god help me...
it's obviously affected your ability to read plain english.
i didn't say half the things you said I said. everyone's entitled to their own opinion - yours is just a much less informed one. get my head out of my arse? go f.u(k yourself.

The Oracle wrote:I worked on the acquisition of this ship a couple of years back when the feds opened tender on it, was working in a NSW central agency and from memory there wasn't much complaint about it back then. It was supposed to bring in a fair bit of tourist cash, provide a site for local divers, and the artificial reef was actually supposed to be good for marine life. How far out are they proposing sinking it? Coz I guarantee most people won't even know it's there, just a new excuse for a whinge. Go complain about something worthwhile.
it was initially proposed to be scuttled at terrigal - with no details on the location. then it was only just over a month ago that the location was changed to avoca beach.
also, the exact location was kept from the public until recently.
this is why this action appears to be at a very late stage.
this is the main issue oracle.
it's planned for 1700m from the sharktower! there's 80m of beach left before you hit the high tide line! that's only a mile offshore in the old money. in a big swell (4 -6m) the waves start capping nearly out that far!
it's just too close to shore.
there's 7 other dive sites nearby around terrigal.
it's likely to affect the lake when it opens up & the ability to shift the sand around.
no one knows for sure - that's why the residents want a detailed EIS to be done. which will mean postponing the scuttle date.
putting it 2k's further out still makes it a dive site with a short boat ride & then it won't be on the only sand/silt bed in the area.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm

matt... wrote: there's 7 other dive sites nearby around terrigal.

if thats true....it's a issue...

as well the apparent lack consultation between government and the people who actually live there :!:

plenty rural areas would love it as a tourism boast :idea: if done properly

i wonder why the haste :? when do u vote in nsw next :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:02 pm

it wasn't changed, it's just that nobody bothered to investigate the actual location (well some of us did and knew for quite a while where it actually was), then when they found out is was off Avoca, they were up in arms. It is off Terrigal also but it's close to both headlands, it's just that Terrigal has the boat ramp and dive centre which is why people referred to Terrigal as the location as that will be the hub for boats/divers etc. So apparently it was OK until it was going to effect Avoca locals.

Good luck if they can stop it but it's a bit bloody late.