lewis samuels in surfer's path

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: lewis samuels in surfer's path

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:36 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
steve shearer wrote:How, for instance, did Shane Peel ever get a voice in surf culture?
well that's easy ... he gave you a job.
steve shearer wrote:History may judge harshly this "lost" period of surf culture when voices merely reflected the Corporate aims of the industry.
nay shearer, History will pretty much disregard it I would reckon.
steve shearer wrote:The Conversation has been taken away from the toadies with their mouth on the tit.
Who ARE these cnuts? these tit munching bastards who've denigrated the surf culture with their toadying behaviour? Fcukers!
Hang on , a job, at least as it is understood in polite company usually implies getting paid.
Non?
Peely!
PEELY......for the benefit of the parliament could you detail the weekly payment and benefits package?

Oh I wouldn't change a goodamm thing Nick, it's just when I hear Paul Keating swinging his verbal baseball bat I get all emboldened.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 am

Look, I guess what this all comes doen to is that it makes me fking sick...sick to my stomach that whilst Samuels blog was running and especially after he started Bong bashing that Australian surf media that had either an advertising arrangement or Bong store franchise arrangement couldn't distance themselves further from what he was doing. They ignored it and tried to focus on reporting on meaningless surf competitions held in marginal conditions despite the fact that everyone had already seen it the night before on the webcast. A sneaky little article here and there with a thinly veiled attack and then from Surfers Path themselves an otburst against 'surf bloggers' in general and the threat they made to their crumbling media empire of soy based inks and recycled toilet paper pictures of Andy Irons and his sunglasses.

Now that Postsurf is over, and the steam has cleared out of the ears of Bong,they can't get close enough to feed of the clicks, the 'radical departure from previous forms of surf media' the 'new generation' It makes me wanna....it makes me wanna....it makes me wanna shoup.

Perhaps one thing that will come out of this is that surf magazines will realise that it just isn't good enough to simply replicate your magazine online every month, add an off the shelf forum and cross your fingers that they will come - you have to bring something else to the table.

salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:14 am

heck, that's the difference between us and the septics.

when they believe in something they will fight for it and make it damn well known
thats why every joe on the street has some junk opinion of Obama and such and they tell it to you as often as possible.

aussies are quite happy to be spoonfed our surf media, making no contribution nor demand for change.
as long as we get a free dvd with ry craike getting barrelled in WA we're sedated.

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am

Perhaps one thing that will come out of this is that surf magazines will realise that it just isn't good enough to simply replicate your magazine online every month, add an off the shelf forum and cross your fingers that they will come - you have to bring something else to the table.
heh, i went thru getting the shits with the "off the self" surf magazines about a year ago.

some months, they had good articles, some months, they were just crap. i still enjoy reading tidbits of them. tracks did a one on indo mag awhile ago, which i thought was damn good.

awhile ago though, i subscribed to surfers journal. this was by far the best decision i have made. the articles are excellent, and has actually opened up my mind to what others are doing. for example, they did an article on obvisouly a very small selection of surfers who are now flying little single engine planes to breaks. putting sand wheels on the plane, checking google earth, and flying to a break they think will go off in the right conditions, and landing on the beach. the stories were damn awesome. like taking off in fog, developing a system to drop a weighted ball from the plane to see if the sand can be landed on etc, and finally surfing uncrowded breaks that are just going off...

ive gone off track here, but i guess what im trying to say is that there still exists good surf journalism. u just gotta know where to look. and the same type of "culture" still exists in the industry. it is just what u make of it.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm a little sad about magazines the format of Waves, ASL, ALB, Pacific Longboarder, and to a certain extent Tracks and their New Zealand counterparts all seem to be layout clones of each other!
I'm too old and ancient to be in their sales demographic but I do like to read IMO intelligent articles ( few and far between).
I enjoyed Surfers path while it was a predominantly UK publication that is now going downhill under US guise.
There is still good stuff there!
The same could be said of Slide ( NZ longboard quarterly mag) degenerating now it too is under US ownership.
There was a magazine (Longbreak) out a little while ago that was clear a full on advertorial but they were honest in their appraisal and paid articles and I notice that some of the Morrison Media now do the same with their lifestyle sections in their mags.

The point of this rave is I enjoy reading articles that allow me to read between the lines and form my own opinions and not suffer the (to me ) meaningless drivel of adolescent speak and froth.
IMO stick Gangsta trash talk, fashion and attitudes and their implications in the water, as far up the Cloaca Maximus they can go!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 pm

once a year or so i enjoy reading threads where realsurfers lament the decline in quality of surf mags. makes me remember the sunshine that warmed my cheeks when i was a child and sat on the back step eating watermelon and reading tracks between surfs.

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

but actually in saying all of this, i would rather have the surfing culture, compared to other sports. for example, i like it how people instantly understand at my work that i will only drink one or two beers on a friday night if the surf is looking good for tomorrow, and those same people ask on monday how were the waves.....

i also like the fact, that the adventures ive had and travel i have done (due to surfing) is not very common. when people do ask me about my travels, i sometimes feel bad about telling them the good parts, because it is so good.

to be honest i relish in this, and its these events that creates the culture. well for me anyway.

when i read a magazine, or an article, i want to be reminded about these things, not what boardshorts i should be wearing this summer in super slow mo...

<end rant>

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Lucky Al wrote:once a year or so i enjoy reading threads where realsurfers lament the decline in quality of surf mags. makes me remember the sunshine that warmed my cheeks when i was a child and sat on the back step eating watermelon and reading tracks between surfs.
before the looming and soul-less leviathan consumed your once unquenchable spirit with the lecherous manner of a remora ensconced upon the flanks of a great whale

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Otway,
Agree with your comments about Surfers Path.
I recently cancelled my subscription after seeing a mail order add in the classified section for steroids, this magazine is supposedly promoting a green conciousness and they want surfers to put steroids in our bodies.
The surfers path just hit a dead end.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 pm

LONGINUS wrote:Perhaps one thing that will come out of this is that surf magazines will realise that it just isn't good enough to simply replicate your magazine online every month, add an off the shelf forum and cross your fingers that they will come - you have to bring something else to the table
Yeah like what the ASL crew (including me) busted their arses doing online from Hawaii this year.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:21 pm

LONGINUS wrote:Look, I guess what this all comes doen to is that it makes me fking sick...sick to my stomach that whilst Samuels blog was running and especially after he started Bong bashing that Australian surf media that had either an advertising arrangement or Bong store franchise arrangement couldn't distance themselves further from what he was doing.
I reckon you're weird.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:31 am

started Bong bashing
i think you're the one Bong bashing

lay off the billies

all of you.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:Perhaps one thing that will come out of this is that surf magazines will realise that it just isn't good enough to simply replicate your magazine online every month, add an off the shelf forum and cross your fingers that they will come - you have to bring something else to the table
Yeah like what the ASL crew (including me) busted their arses doing online from Hawaii this year.
Exactly Nick, you have proved my point! That's why I advertise with ASL
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:51 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:Look, I guess what this all comes doen to is that it makes me fking sick...sick to my stomach that whilst Samuels blog was running and especially after he started Bong bashing that Australian surf media that had either an advertising arrangement or Bong store franchise arrangement couldn't distance themselves further from what he was doing.
I reckon you're weird.
:D

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:06 pm

i reckon you're paranoid and have delusions of grandeur, longinus!

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:11 pm