The Drifter

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lard Lad
regular

Re: The Drifter

Post by Lard Lad » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 am

sandee jonsen's performance in mad wax is the best for non contrived ad free surf movie performance

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 am

Ah Mad Wax!

...we're going to Pipeline.... :D
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm

the Drifter is the latest thing that's cool to hate in some circles...although I can't fathom how people can see a title which states "based on the wanderings..." and then expect it to be fly on the wall stuff :lol: I guess the downside of being a moron is skewed expectations - they must be constantly dissapointed.

My version has a 20 odd min in the extras which is just surfing and includes footage from Dane, Kelly and Mikala Jones too.

Interestingly, at the very end, after the credits and split screen footage, there is a copyright - Rob Machado sign. That explains the massive round of PR for it - definitely a retirement plan! I did hear Rob lost a fair bit of dough ona failed project a couple of years back.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:57 pm

what's your scene man
oh, reification
guess that means big books piled high on a table
nope, i drift, mostly i just drift
Attachments
The Cowboy Philosopher.jpg

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
dunnc wrote:the Drifter is the latest thing that's cool to hate in some circles...although I can't fathom how people can see a title which states "based on the wanderings..." and then expect it to be fly on the wall stuff :lol: I guess the downside of being a moron is skewed expectations - they must be constantly dissapointed.
Anyone watch that Bear Grylls stuff? Thing is, that shit is made (I hope) with a nod and a wink. Not this though, and that might be why it's cool to hate it...people are happy to be bullshitted if they are in on the joke.
Funny you should mention Bear Grylls... I was having work drinks with a small time travel show presenter; she often does those travel shows you see on in house channels in hotels and the occasional bit on Discovery. She was going on about how she loved watching Bear. How in the wild it was, how he was all alone and how extreme it all was.

I asked how the sound guy, camera guy and director would all cope with the same conditions and it was honestly like having told a young child that Santa or the Easter Bunny didn't exist. She hadn't once for a moment thought that there could have been people with him doind sound and film despite the fact it was on the telly!

bc
charger

Post by bc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Just watched it. Tripe.
No sense of humour to it, other than the taxi scene. Never seen anything so earnest.
Love the idea of the solo traveller, throwing away his mobile phone, then dedicating the movie to his 2 daughters at the end.
Nicely shot, and some nice waves tho.
Watching Machado write deep thoughts in his journal, and photograph 'the natives' on a medium format camera (where did that fit on the bike?) was too much.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:35 pm

It is isn't it.

I mean really Rob.....

That's what happens when you surround yourself with yes-men and sycophants : no-one has the sack to tell you that what you are doing sucks scabby goats balls and is making you look totally phoney and ridiculous.
As profound as Rob Machado is my favourite oxymoron of the moment.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:00 am

Havent seen it, but do you reckon RM cares about being seen as "contrived" when he checks his bank account??

I mean, most people here have no problem with people surfing as a living via the tour ( hero worship almost ), but when they make their living from a different form of surfing they're all over it ( free surfing,movies ). he makes a living from surfing, what difference does it make if its the tour,free surfing or movies?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:14 am

he has cool hair but :mrgreen: :roll:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:46 am

Beerfan wrote:I mean, most people here have no problem with people surfing as a living via the tour ( hero worship almost ), but when they make their living from a different form of surfing they're all over it ( free surfing,movies ). he makes a living from surfing, what difference does it make if its the tour,free surfing or movies?
Nothing against freesurfers making movies mate, actully prefer to watch that than the 'CT fiasco.

But JESUS, you can't really defend the tripe that RM and TS have served you here.

I found it contrived, condescending and lacking. I'll take a ...Lost or Mod Col vid over this shit anyday.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:55 am

Im definately not defending anything, or anyone. Just saying its part of his "job", and it will still make him a nice bit of coin.

Almost all surf movies are either arty farty to the point of vomit inducing, or are hardcore "crew" wanks, with thrashy shithouse music that are, again, almost vomit inducing.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:36 am

Beerfan wrote:or are hardcore "crew" wanks, with thrashy shithouse music that are, again, almost vomit inducing.
Mute is your friend I've found.

Surf vids are in constant rotation at my place at the moment. The 3mth old little bloke loves watching them. Who am I to stand in the way of that? :wink:

Btw .. he thought The Drifter was contrived too.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:37 am

Beerfan wrote:Almost all surf movies are either arty farty to the point of vomit inducing, or are hardcore "crew" wanks, with thrashy shithouse music that are, again, almost vomit inducing.
Hard to argue with that.

I find that thrash metal hard core sound just so ummmmmmm, contrived? :x Just seems like a put on to me, hardly ever adding to the overall enjoyment and usually detracting from it. Then again, I'm not the target audience, which is the ever-loving all-purpose get out clause used by the producers to justify the crappy music.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Zen and Zero was a fun watch.
Looks like a lot of time and effort went into it.
It's more a road trip than a surf movie.

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:52 pm

WANDERER wrote:One California Day is a very nice film if you are after something different, yeah there's some longboarding in there, but what the hell, it's a nice concept and the editing and quality is top notch, so much so that even the second DVD with the out-takes makes bloody good viewing on it's own (especially the beachie left with the Currens - how it didn't make the cut I'll never know).

I am using it as day-dream fuel for my upcoming roadtrip through north america.

Check it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SAX0r8oDg0
got this movie this weekend, and yes its definitely worth getting / watching.... makes me wonder why someone hasnt done a similar movie on east coast australian surfing....

imho, that would be an awesome, noosa, the goldie, new castle, seal rocks, all the way down to bells....

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 am

back onto the topic of the difter, maybe you guys would prefer this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3n4am3AsqM

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:04 pm

I liked bad Rob better...when he tripped guys over, Momentum 2, and played punk rock and wrote off guys like Kong for having crook styles
Too much weed...

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:11 pm

lovenutz wrote:Too much weed...
1. Blasphemy!

2. Not possible

3. Not the weeds fault he turned into a hippy poseur

4. BLASPHEMY!