Shark Attack in Vicco

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Animal_Chin
Local

Shark Attack in Vicco

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... _news.html

This my local break and I sort of know the bloke bitten. Never knew Tiger sharks were down here though :?:

Any of you fisho types got an opinion?

mical
barnacle

Re: Shark Attack in Vicco

Post by mical » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Very doubtful it was tiger AC.

Still, someone was nibbled in Vic :shock: Pretty rare down here.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:44 pm

was at motogp 2009, parked the caravan usuaul spot(highside at the track).

racing starts friday. always go fishing on the thursday.
anyhow we out by that seal colony island thing(no sure what called) and some guys about 300mtrs in toward the rocks riding some fairly critical waves.

not 1 but two i'd say about 4m whites come up, have a look and head toward direction of surfers.
well fcuk me if i didnt crap myself for the guys in the water.
we started boat trying all sort of manner to scare these beasts off.

didnt see em, surfers alert by this time and visibly shaken.

where the fcuk are they!!

ill tell ya where they are, right fcuking underneath you i shout.

nothing happened other than scared shitless, and i was in a boat :shock:
signatures, finally got it covered.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 pm

^^^

Those guys are lunatics. It's a seal breeding ground, no way would I surf there.

Although having said that Flinders is a mere hop skip and a jump across the mouth of Westernport but I've never seen one yet
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Hatchman wrote:^^^

Those guys are lunatics. It's a seal breeding ground, no way would I surf there.

Although having said that Flinders is a mere hop skip and a jump across the mouth of Westernport but I've never seen one yet

^^ always take my board and have had plenty nice waves(on the beaches). i always see guys around this area, not for me either mate.

its not far from vic h crazy catch.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Hatchman wrote:^^^

i reckon hatchman if you did see 1, good chance not 2 hungry. its not far like you say and they "know" where they can get preferred meal :wink:

topic: tiger shark in vic, suppose its possible??

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 pm

maybE mkm is sending em south :shock:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:59 pm

turtle wrote:out by that seal colony island thing(no sure what called) and some guys about 300mtrs in toward the rocks riding some fairly critical waves.
Surf here pretty often and have done for about 18 years, it's called the Nobbies.

Remember Vic Hislop and the 20ft white he caught?

This one:
VicsRecordSharkLarge.jpg
Rumours have abounded for years that it was a pregnant female, which only mate with a white bigger than themselves yadda yadda.

There's been a few calls made about dad still being around.

It's all good, they're only cruising for seals :wink:

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Well, this didn't deter the multitudes out at 13th on Sunday. There even guys surfing the bombie.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Re: tiger sharks - World Shark.Com:
Distribution:
Worldwide in temperate and tropical seas. Western Atlantic: Massachusetts to Uruguay, Gulf of Mexico, Bahamas, Caribbean. Eastern Atlantic: Iceland and possibly the UK (due to the warm Gulf Stream), Morocco, Canary Islands, possibly Mediterranean, Senegal to Ivory Coast. Indian Ocean: South Africa to Red Sea, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Thailand, Vietnam. Western Pacific: southern China, Japan, Philippines, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, New Caledonia. Western central Pacific: Palau, Solomon Islands, Marshall Islands, Tahiti, and Hawaii. Eastern Pacific: southern California to Peru, Galapagos.

Biology:
This species lives in coastal and pelagic waters, from the surface to about 140m depth. Wide tolerance for different marine habitats, but seems to prefer turbid waters. On or adjacent to the continental and insular shelves. It is often found in river estuaries, close inshore, in coral atolls and lagoons. Tiger sharks are nocturnal and can show diel cycles of movement inshore at night into shallow waters and retreat to deeper water during daytime. Tiger sharks are mainly solitary.
Also got a few articles citing shark spotter planes seeing tigers around Vic waters, but not much else.

Thinking about it more while I was reading up on them, I remember a story from years ago of a guy catching one in San Remo, the entrance to Phillip Island from the mainland.

I'll change my earlier statement and say it's possible, but need to check on average water temps this year compared to others.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:17 pm

For Fong: Tiger Shark

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 pm

pinhead wrote:Well, this didn't deter the multitudes out at 13th on Sunday. There even guys surfing the bombie.
Sunday was fcuking grouse! Best waves for months.

OK so maybe it was a tiger then... I was out at 13th this morning and no-one I spoke too could care less about sharks in the area. Maybe I'm just paranoid coming Perth, they seem to lose someone every year.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:36 am

Yeah the last person to die from a shark attack in Victoria was in the 1950's I think. Plenty of bites but nothing fatal.

I doubt it's really a concern for most people, heck Westernport Bay is full of them, but as mical says they're only cruising for seals, they wouldn't waste their time on humans as we aren't that good a meal!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:30 am

Yeah ... what Hatchy said ... we taste like old boots ... old boots without souls ... I mean soles ... oh whatever ... but I'm not sold on the idea that it was a tiger ... more likely a domestic cat with a snorkel ... :shock:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:32 am

Did anyone catch 'Blood in the Water'? A 2 hour docu-drama about the Shark that terrorised the US in 1916 up around New Jersey. Before that, they didnt think that sharks were capable of killing a man. Well this shark did. He loved it.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:42 am

^^
Never heard of it, but I'll be looking it up now.

Thanks Coops.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:Did anyone catch 'Blood in the Water'? A 2 hour docu-drama about the Shark that terrorised the US in 1916 up around New Jersey. Before that, they didnt think that sharks were capable of killing a man. Well this shark did. He loved it.
Yeah....I watched it. The shark (probably Bull shark) killed some people in one go about 10km? up Mattawan Creek. Technology from that era determined that the best way to catch/kill the shark was to stand around the waters edge with guns firing into the water as well as chucking dynamite in (even though the shark was probably long gone)

I had one ear on the phone when it was on so can't remember the details of the deaths exactly......It was pretty meaty though :!:
Yeah, it inspired the movie Jaws. I laughted at the patrols with guys dressed in suits walking up and down the beach with guns. It was a great story and the original Summer of the Shark.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.