Has surfing lost it's soul?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Has surfing lost its soul?

Yes
42%
No
42%
Are you a hippy?
17%

Total votes: 24

lessormore
barnacle

Re: Has surfing lost it's soul?

Post by lessormore » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:54 pm

1. Sex. ie Do you use your status as a surfer to pick up wide eyed hippie chicks for evenings of patchouli-scented intercourse, only to move on next day because "the waves are calling"

2. Mother Nature A: Health foods. Do you, however vaguely, tread down or toward a Macrobiotic pathway in the foodstuffs department as a result of your wanting to live closer to Mother Nature.

3. Hand made. Do you ride your own hand made surfboards as a result of your wanting to engage in the totality of the surfing experience.

4. Mother Nature B: Animals. Do you have several animals and appear to have an almost mystical bond with them even if some of them are chickens.

5. Stance. Are you a goofyfoot, and if not, do you secretly long to be a goofyfoot.

6. Parents. Do they send you money occasionally. When they die will you inherit a sum of money or possessions equal to or more than one million dollars.

7. Parenthood. Are you secretly terrified of having children, despite the fact that you may well have one or more of 'em without knowing it.

8. Mother Nature C: The Ocean. Do people ever comment on your apparently magical fluidity of movement through the water, almost as if you are a fish of some kind.

9. Art. Do you do any art. Include playing a musical instrument.

10. Mother Nature D: Gaia. Do you believe in any practical sense that the Earth is one organism.

If you answered "yes" to four or more of the above questions, you are a fcukwit
Seeing how I asked the question,I better give it a go-
1.No, but I used to ride my trailbike around Bundagen near Coffs, watching the hippy chicks work naked i the corn fields!

2.I once bought a museli bar from there

3.Nup

4.Closest to a chicken I have got is a cockatiel.

5.Big yeah to that one.

6.I wish.

7.Used to be but it's too late now.

8.They usually tell me to fcuk off when I drop in on them!

9.Yep to that one.

10.God no.

11. She only survived because she had God on her side-
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 pm

nick carroll you need to add two yeses to your list, first because writing poems counts as doing art and second because you have a head like a fish's and i know from seeing you in vids that it enables you to surf remarkably fluidly. welcome to the ranks of us fuckwits!

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 pm

nic...in regards to being a goofy footer. lets set this straight...

tom....goofy..2xworld champ

nick..natural...0 times world champ

CASE CLOSED YOUR HONOUR :lol:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:51 pm

brendo wrote:nic...in regards to being a goofy footer. lets set this straight...

Hmm? The only pic Wikipedia can find of Tom is in his race suit for a celebrity race at the AGP.
Nick, can't you send them a pic of Tom surfing?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:02 pm

Lucky Al wrote:nick carroll you have a head like a fish's
More like a smeagol ... and he is approximately the same height as those pesky hobbitses ... yes my preciousssss.

Smeagol.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:11. Bethany is still coached by Mumbles!
thankyou ...

I used to love surfing with him ... he helped me a lot in the olden days ...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:25 pm

brendo wrote:nic...in regards to being a goofy footer. lets set this straight...

and I thought everyone on Realsurf thought competitive surfing was a hoax.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Womble wrote:
Lucky Al wrote:nick carroll you have a head like a fish's
More like a smeagol ... and he is approximately the same height as those pesky hobbitses ... yes my preciousssss.

Smeagol.
And your head, womble, what does it appear to be like?

Sauron after three days on the gear no doubt.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: And your head, womble, what does it appear to be like?
Sauron after three days on the gear no doubt.
mmmm ... no ... more like Uncle Fester after three decades of the being on the aforementioned gear ... and if I see your smeagolian melon floating around at the quicky ... I'll introduce myself and we can compare follicular deforestation and the fine art of cranial decomposition whilst maintaining a positive slant during the downwards spiral of age and incontinence.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:

and I thought everyone on Realsurf thought competitive surfing was a hoax.
its is shite, but i gotta defend my goofy brothers 8)

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 pm

i'll have a proper go too.

1. Sex. ie Do you use your status as a surfer to pick up wide eyed hippie chicks for evenings of patchouli-scented intercourse, only to move on next day because "the waves are calling"
No (not yet) but come to think of it a pretty nice idea so I'll say yes in the hope it helps come true. (Yes)

2. Mother Nature A: Health foods. Do you, however vaguely, tread down or toward a Macrobiotic pathway in the foodstuffs department as a result of your wanting to live closer to Mother Nature.
I haven't looked up the word 'macrobiotic' in a dictionary for years, but when I was undergraduate (mid-1990s) I joined the UNSW Food Co-Op because there was a hot chick working there, I think a biology student, and because the food was alright and you could rummage around in the lentils and scoop them out of huge sacks. I never did get laid with that girl but I did bury my face in the lentils a few times and pretend she'd been sitting in them, so I'd better answer yes. (Yes)

3. Hand made. Do you ride your own hand made surfboards as a result of your wanting to engage in the totality of the surfing experience. No, but I do like to try to ride flotsam and jetsam I come across while wandering along the shore in order to engage in the totality of the surfing experience, and I am trying to make a surf mag with my friends in order to engage in the totality of the surfing experience so I'd better answer yes again. (Yes)

4. Mother Nature B: Animals. Do you have several animals and appear to have an almost mystical bond with them even if some of them are chickens.
No, but I think people who keep animals are pricks and people who eat animals are cunts, so in solidarity with animals I'll answer yes. (Yes)

5. Stance. Are you a goofyfoot, and if not, do you secretly long to be a goofyfoot.
Yes, yes. (Two yeses because goofyfoot's so cool.)

6. Parents. Do they send you money occasionally. When they die will you inherit a sum of money or possessions equal to or more than one million dollars.
Yes they send me money, but they say it's for my one-year-old son: $50 every birthday and Christmas. I won't be inheriting anything like a million dollars off anyone. If I inherit any amount it will be in the tens of thousands... of trees, because Dad keeps saying that once he's retired he'll devote the rest of his life to planting trees. (No)

7. Parenthood. Are you secretly terrified of having children, despite the fact that you may well have one or more of 'em without knowing it.
Fuck yes, even though I have one already. (Yes)

8. Mother Nature C: The Ocean. Do people ever comment on your apparently magical fluidity of movement through the water, almost as if you are a fish of some kind.
Yes: giant grouper. (Yes)

No, but I want to do a bit of writing. Just had a bit of a block recently (last six years). Anyway I'll answer yes. (Yes)

10. Mother Nature D: Gaia. Do you believe in any practical sense that the Earth is one organism. No, I believe it is one big orgasm, and we're all stuck in a drop of cold sperm in the outer reaches of a dry grotty fuzzy vagina.

11. Shark question: No.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:16 pm

dunno about surfing, but Cronulla has lost its soul.

Mr George Moore and his wife were an old couple that let us surfing bum teenagers leave our boards in the laundry. we spent a lot of time in that laundry tucked in beside the RSL bowling green and the block of 1920's units.
a place we called adrians place, after their grandson.

over the years cronulla became more and more developed, peoples houses with backyards were ripped out and cement rendered apartments, coffee shops and glass walled balconeys took over from red brick.

The Days leading up to the demolition, late mr and mrs moore let all us boys and neighbours and old people friends from the RSL write nice messages on the building.

I superglued 20 cents to the wall as a start to the save adriens place fund.
others wrote loving messages.
old people became graffiti artists and wrote of their love of the old building.

we as kids and teens had smoked funny cigarettes from bali, touched girls in secret places and slept on that tiled floor in that laundry before earlies and after nights drinking in cronulla park.
we had eaten the sweetest big mandarins from the tree on the way to checking the island.
mandarin peelings would form a trail down geralle st to elizabeth place.

that day with a black texta i wrote on the front wall.
cronulla has lost its soul.
f#ck off developers
not long after mrs moore passed away then later mr moore passed away.

with them and that building now gone, a new cement rendered building in its place, cronulla has lost some of its character and soul.

below is a building from a similar era, another soulfull joint in the nulla that is now a cafe or some wanky joint
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:20 pm

that's gotta be the beautifulest thing you've ever written in the realsurf forums marcus, now i'm feeling a bit funny maybe i'm going to have a cry.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Crap, i don't have to do the questionaire to know i'm a f'wit, but i can sing a bit and play guitar, write poetry/short storys. no money from the rels, goofy, health food? well if you call no presevatives or colourings health food, then i guess so. hand shaped? Yep. Animals....got a cat...fkucing HATE dogs. Kids are fine. Sex with a hippie chick through surf status...that sounds like an alternative to the nurses uniform with the missus.
Surf soul? Who gives a, I just love it.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:OK let's add that to the list. 11. Mother Nature E: Mutilation. Have you been attacked by a shark and survived.
11. Nope, but I copped a near-brutal nibbling once on my big toe from one particularly vicious salmon trout. He was a good size... maybe 16 inches... and rather cross at me dangling my legs over "his" reef. I fought him off only to have him return for another go... but somehow I survived to re-assert my position at the top of the food chain.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Fcuk! I'll take it up ... having done the Course.

Do I? No. Have I? Yep. Was I successful? Hell no.

Absolutely NOT. Bacon & eggs, steak and veg for me. But I do have my 2 fruit and 5 veg every day

3. Hand made. Do you ride your own hand made surfboards as a result of your wanting to engage in the totality of the surfing experience.
I painted one once. Does that count? Maybe half a point?

A cat. Had plenty of birds in the past. Finches and budgerigars. Too small to bond with.

Not a chance. But I do have some friends who are (including the Fongster)

All dead and gone. Still waiting for my million.

Shit no. They've all been good fun.

Does it count if Iggy says I overcall wave size?

No.
10. Mother Nature D: Gaia. Do you believe in any practical sense that the Earth is one organism.
Of course. Doesn't everyone?

If you answered "yes" to four or more of the above questions, you are a fcukwit.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:35 pm

^^^^ isn't that still there?
Beanpole

Skipper