Has surfing lost it's soul?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Has surfing lost its soul?

Yes
42%
No
42%
Are you a hippy?
17%

Total votes: 24

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: Has surfing lost it's soul?

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:12 pm

can we please stop bagging dope-smoking drop-outs. some of my best friends are dope-smoking drop-outs, and they are good people - good friends, good neighbours, good family members and good members of their communities. they are not spongers or layabouts or scoundrels, but principled, committed, honest and intelligent people - i would even go so far as to say they have soul. so please let's lay off the dope-smoking drop-outs.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:14 pm

merkin wrote:hastings retrovision
is that hastings retrovision at port macquarie :?:

I used to know the guy who owned it ... good bloke ... lives in taree and surfs saltwater ... he's not a soul surfer though because he has a job and a family and a nice house and a fancy car ... but he's a nice guy all the same ... :idea:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Well, we seem to have taken a turn away from discussing 'the soul of surfing' and ventured into territory that is dangerous to tread . . people's commitment and passion to something they love.

I don't know about all that, or how it fits with the 'soul' thing.

For me surfing isn't a choice, it's a compulsion. I need to do it ... everyday ... on whatever craft the conditions allow and I make life decisions around that.

I've been told I'm bipolar with a leaning more to episodes of mania rather than depression. :oops:

Surfing's the only medication I've taken in many years, it's the only thing that works, for me.

I don't have a choice, it's like oxygen.

That is all I know.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:44 pm

can i just add to that? surfing to me is like oxygen, it's like i.t., it's like woah, like tomato and cheese sandwiches, like checking out girls' arses and boobs, like lentil burgers and hemp sandals, like browsing the internet, like wondering whether everything they tell you is true, like picking your nose and farting, like overtaking in the right lane, like brushing my teeth first thing... it's a compulsion. i have to do it. but that's not all i know, just all i can be arsed typing right now.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Lucky Al wrote:can we please stop bagging dope-smoking drop-outs.
Lucky Al wrote:can i just add to that? surfing to me is like oxygen, it's like i.t., it's like woah, like tomato and cheese sandwiches, like checking out girls' arses and boobs, like lentil burgers and hemp sandals, like browsing the internet, like wondering whether everything they tell you is true, like picking your nose and farting, like overtaking in the right lane, like brushing my teeth first thing... it's a compulsion. i have to do it. but that's not all i know, just all i can be arsed typing right now.
Been hitting it a little hard this arvo Al? If I may offer a little advice that I personally live by, maybe stick to scoobs.

Them bongs'll fcuk shit up :!:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:51 pm

^^^^
He's missing the surf. :shock:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:37 pm

just having a few scoops over here boys! sticking to the scoops, nothing as dangerous as a bong.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:30 pm

HAS SURFING LOST ITS SOUL ... ?

Its ... not yours or his ... not where in the frock has the soul surfer gone wagging his dole cheque behind him ... not who is the most renowned soul in surfing ... not did surfing grow up and get a real job ... but has IT lost ITS soul.

Whilst some seem to be discussing the soul ... others are debating the level of dedication required to reach the zen-like summit of a true soul surfer ... Lucky Al on the other hand is still trying to figure out where he stashed that half ounce of Durban poison ... back in 1976 ... Surfn was on target until he became obsessed with a different kind of grass ... and Iggy ... well the sleep deprivation is really starting to kick in ... making him even angrier that before.
Notice the use of paragraphs ... I hope this small gesture will help in some way sooth your fragile and sleepless disposition.

I can really understand where Steve is coming from ... but he is measuring the man's soul and commitment to the cause. Surmising that by being more committed you are inherently more soulfull than the weekend warrior. I could not agree more ... but what in gods name has that to do with the question of ... has surfing lost its soul ? Sweet FA. Even it was wonderfully writ. And yes Greenough is without doubt the epitome of sole. Love your work ... But I'll get off at the next stop please driver.

Hatchman also made a valid point ... and I think Iggy hit the nail on the head with his example of the Hatchmans joy on exiting the surf.

Nicholas on the other hand wasn't sure if he even had a soul. He went and did a little soul searching and came up with this ...
Nick Carroll wrote: btw I did wonder if surfing's "soul" might mean are people emotionally involved and connected with it, and with others as a result of it, then this thread is pretty good evidence for its continued existence.
Not bad for a soulless beast feasting on the rotting remnants of a once noble tradition.

And as previously aired on realsurfs version of the Jerry Springer Show ...

Lets adopt the outlook that the soul of surfing is a shared awareness … a consciousness of spirit … rather than some idealistic purists view.

And that is the essence of surfing ... the heart and soul ... its not some intangible puristic realm ... it is quite simply the joy and understanding of the act ... a consciousness of the true spirit of surfing ... a shared awareness that as a group the majority of surfers have ... thats the soul of surfing.

Stick a fork in my arse and turn me over ... I think I'm done.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:55 pm

^^^ Womble, poetry, sheer poetry. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Lock her down please mods, Womble has spoken and summarised impeccably :idea:

It's been interesting gents, well worth the time it took to type out the first post, thank you for the education.

Edit: Just watching a bit of a surf film I downloaded called Believe with everything from footage of Morning of the Earth to Asher Pacey and had a thought.

What if the thread had been called "Has surfing lost it's innocence?'

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 pm

merkin wrote:Who can define the moment?

indeed....white folk with soul :D .....the fact they even believe themselfs makes it even funnier :lol: :lol:

:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipOz_k9zvzo

^couple moments in that little clip have soul :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 pm

THE Soul Man :!: (for Daryl)

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:09 am

Is it the sole ( :oops: ) province of the talented, the charger, the soulsurfer?
pl-ease

ha-ha

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:21 am

iggy wrote:
steve shearer wrote:mediocrity and that strikes a chord of terror in the middle class heart.

there you go steve, that was my middle class arse enjoying some heartwarming mediocrity..

didn't see any of your 'soulful' types out there..

IT geeks r 1 win !! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like your standard winter onshore conditions in Vicco, usually can count the amount of other "devotees" out there on one hand too.

No soul-surfers either, usually just guys getting out at the crack before the wives/kids wake-up plus a couple of tradies before they go to work.

One wonders where these mystical enlightened beings must reside....
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Hatchman wrote:One wonders where these mystical enlightened beings must reside....
Because they're so enlightened, they know where to go where it's not shit! :wink:

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Does KS qualify as a soul surfer?
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:41 pm

I believe that as he is the devil, he has no soul. :twisted: