Skin Cancer

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

roy Stewart
regular

Re: Skin Cancer

Post by roy Stewart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:26 pm

iggy wrote:
roy Stewart wrote:.
and just in case you missed it..
roy Stewart wrote:.
what's with the whole . thing anyways??
That's 'anyway' not 'anyways'

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:08 pm

I wear sunscreen and a hat most of the time, i have naturally tanned skin and the last time i was checked the (gay!) doctor checked me out, even picked up me nob, which i assured him had never seen the sun, looked behind it/ underneath it and said (quote) "if you hav'nt got em by now, you're probly not gonna get em". Still wear me hat and blok though, even though i have a pretty good tan up most of the year. I was once berated by a bloke smoking in the carpark about my 'skin in trauma', go figure.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 pm

And I thought RINGMASTER was the biggest tool on Real Surf but after hearing Roy's dribble....actually no I still think RINGMASTER is the bigget tool on Real Surf, its just now he has some competition ....Roy. Roy, my karate pant wearing, tanned, lunatic, you need about 15 mins a day mild sunlight to get all the Vit D you need. Most people that work in an office will get it walking from the car / station and back so dont kid yourself.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:43 pm

roy Stewart wrote:Do it yourself, only you know what you standard of respectability is.
I have studied occupational hygiene and have some knowledge of what the confirmed, known carcinogens are. My 'standard of respectability' is the best the human race currently has. ie the scientific peer review system.
In my opinion health is a matter of chemistry not social respectability.
Agree. See above.
Have a look at the problems caused by vitamin D deficiency while you are at it
Yep, vitamin D deficiency may lead to impaired bone mineralisation and cartilage degradation. However, the benefits of exposure to sunlight radiation cannot be separated from the harmful effects. Skin cancer is more of a problem than vitamin D deficiency. http://www.skincancer.org/scf-journal-2008.html

I'm more than happy to have crackpots like yourself in society to lighten up a dull day, but when you start sprouting shit like this you expose yourself for the close-minded idiot that you are.

I was waiting for a nano-particle/sun screen argument, which may have indicated that you had done even a little research on the subject. But no...

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:30 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:And I thought RINGMASTER was the biggest tool on Real Surf but after hearing Roy's dribble....actually no I still think RINGMASTER is the bigget tool on Real Surf, its just now he has some competition ....Roy. Roy, my karate pant wearing, tanned, lunatic, you need about 15 mins a day mild sunlight to get all the Vit D you need. Most people that work in an office will get it walking from the car / station and back so dont kid yourself.
Only if it's to 90% or more of your body, while lying prone. How can office workers get that walking from the car ?

:roll:

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:34 am

Animal_Chin wrote:
roy Stewart wrote:Do it yourself, only you know what you standard of respectability is.
I have studied occupational hygiene and have some knowledge of what the confirmed, known carcinogens are. My 'standard of respectability' is the best the human race currently has. ie the scientific peer review system.
The same system that brought you the global warming and swine flu vaccination scams !

You are extremely wet behind the ears of you still believe the scientific peer review BS !

The authors of the article are from the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York, hardly an independent group.

I'm more than happy to have crackpots like yourself in society to lighten up a dull day, but when you start sprouting shit like this you expose yourself for the close-minded idiot that you are.
For all your talk of scientific method, you rely heavily upon personal abuse in your own posts.

There is no point in me posting information which supports what I'm saying, as people like you use the same tactic every time: you simply say that the source is not up to your supposedly high ( but actually low ) standards. . . using language peppered with abuse as you have used already.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 am

Roy,
I'd take the advice of the Cancer Councilof Australia over any organisation is New York every time.
roy Stewart wrote: The same system that brought you the global warming and swine flu vaccination scams !
So, you're also one of those people who will have us believe the swine flu vaccination is poisonous?
roy Stewart wrote:For all your talk of scientific method, you rely heavily upon personal abuse in your own posts.

There is no point in me posting information which supports what I'm saying, as people like you use the same tactic every time: you simply say that the source is not up to your supposedly high ( but actually low ) standards. . . using language peppered with abuse as you have used already
When you espouse the crap beliefs you do, you lay yourself open to all sorts of abuse.
Again Roy, to argue against the use of suscreen is about the most irresponsible thing I have ever seen anyone post on here.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 am

I don't want to take sides here and im no expert, but don't sunscreens lower,not stop, your risk of burning, therefore lowering your risk if melanoma, however they don't block the rays that actually cause cancer.?
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:47 am

Chillin wrote:I don't want to take sides here and im no expert, but don't sunscreens lower,not stop, your risk of burning, therefore lowering your risk if melanoma, however they don't block the rays that actually cause cancer.?
There's sunscreen and sunblock, Chillin.
Different ingredients and different results.
And despite what Roy says, you only need a few minutes in the sun in the early morning or the late afternoon for your arms OR face OR back OR legs. to absorb the required amount of Vitamin D.
The big thing is with sunscreens to make sure you apply them 20 minutes before going in the sun. If you put them on when you are pulling on your boardies on the beach, you'll be starting to burn before you get out the back.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:50 am

Jeez Roy, if I wanted to insult you I would have asked if you were a climate change sceptic. I actually typed out that question in my previous post but then deleted it thinking 'nah, he couldn't be that stupid'...

Well, there's no point in me trying to argue with you. Your closed mind is made up. You rebuff the peer review system but offer no other alternatives. Typical fringe loony with a bomb shelter stocked with canned goods.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:you need about 15 mins a day mild sunlight to get all the Vit D you need.
roy Stewart wrote:Only if it's to 90% or more of your body, while lying prone.
Where did you get that info from Roy? Was it something you tested yourself?

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 am

Roy, I consider myself fairly open minded when it comes to alternative medicines and therapies but only where there is some form of objectively tested methodology or results to prove the efficacy.

Sure, sunscreen contains chemical compounds which are absorbed by rubbing into your skin but I'm sure you also inhale plenty of chemical compounds from the old exhaust or your kombi van or the sealants you use in your (long) boards.

Show me examples where the sunscreen is more dangerous than the other things we expose ourselves to on a daily basis.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 am

And guys, on a serious note; when you get your moles checked if you doctor isn't using a digital dermoscope when reviewing your skin, he is doing fcuk all.

Google digital dermascopy for someone in your area who knows how to use one.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am

Seeing as NE NSW and QLD have the highest rates of melanoma in the world it'd be interesting to see any research to determine if widespread public education re: sunscreen use is actually reducing the incidence of melanoma or not.

My mate , who is as black as a Nigerian in summer, had a nasty skin cancer cut off his lip.

I'm a fcuking haole and never had one cut off.....I'm super careful now but spent days/weeks/months/years getting cooked as a kid.

Before Roy is written off too much here I'd say we're a generation away at least from determining the real effect of sunscreens from reducing melanoma rates. The available epidemiological data are contradictory.

I wrote to the chief scientist at Hamilton sunscreens asking for her advice on this.
She told me that titanium dioxide and zinc oxide both act as physical blockers of a wide spectrum of the UV band and that this effect was synergistic IE together they blocked a wider spectrum than alone.
I use a kids sunscreen with titanium dioxide and apply zinc over the top.
I know people have concerns about micronised titanium dioxide.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:06 am

He lives in a world made entirely of wood
and believes he is perfect … rather than good
a thought process that constantly goes against the grain
the mans not a menace … he's just simply insane
so he plays with his wood wearing only a dress
whats going through his mind is anyones guess
keeping it left of centre … and right away from any fact
lets him hold onto his outdated ... tired old hippy act
like the flat-earthers before him … he relishes the charade
henny penny the sky's falling … and the freaks on parade
yes he worships the sun and it responds to him
yet he refuses to believe it can damage his skin
soak it up big fella … its the emperors new clothes
one day you will regret it … no skin of my nose
and speaking of noses and of being sunburnt
I know from experience … and lessons hard learnt
simply slipping and slopping and slapping on a hat
can prevent melanoma … its as simple as that
don't let us deter you from living the dream
but take some advice and purchase sunscreen
a bit more advice … if you will let me digress
go buy some trousers and loose the fcuking dress.

:shock:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:50 am

wow this got real interesting...

think Roy has a point, but evidence would need to be presented to overturn the research already done into the benefits of suncsreens

as i mentioned on the first page, melanin is responsible for protecting the skin from UVA and UVB radiation. therefore the darker or tanny-er yer skin is the more protection you have.

australia has the highest rates of skin cancer in the world, but besides South Africa, which other nation is full of white people living in subtropical heat exposing themselves to the sun like we do?

the south american sun is badass, probably more burnier than ours due to the buggered ozone, but most have dark skin to combat it. same as SE Asia, those working long hours in the sun have adapted brown skin.

my view is, cop some sunshine every now and then, it's good for your soul, but don't get sunburnt. the evidence suggests european-based skin will cop a beating here

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Womble wrote:He lives in a world made entirely of wood
and believes he is perfect … rather than good
a thought process that constantly goes against the grain
the mans not a menace … he's just simply insane
so he plays with his wood wearing only a dress
whats going through his mind is anyones guess
keeping it left of centre … and right away from any fact
lets him hold onto his outdated ... tired old hippy act
like the flat-earthers before him … he relishes the charade
henny penny the sky's falling … and the freaks on parade
yes he worships the sun and it responds to him
yet he refuses to believe it can damage his skin
soak it up big fella … its the emperors new clothes
one day you will regret it … no skin of my nose
and speaking of noses and of being sunburnt
I know from experience … and lessons hard learnt
simply slipping and slopping and slapping on a hat
can prevent melanoma … its as simple as that
don't let us deter you from living the dream
but take some advice and purchase sunscreen
a bit more advice … if you will let me digress
go buy some trousers and loose the fcuking dress.

:shock:
That's classic Womble!

Beside the relevance to Roy, it's also witty, it flows well and made me fair dinkum lol.

You should go on that bush poets show on the ABC.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Agreed that was brilliant :D
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love