places you just cant surf anymore

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

silvafish
Grommet

places you just cant surf anymore

Post by silvafish » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:44 am

ive been going to raglan for over 30 years and the sandflys have won.Camped there for a month 1st time,ended up wearing my leggie on my wrist after welts turned into ulcers,nowdays just putting my wettie on iam smashed,gave every bush tip a go,nothing works,last trip they won,after surfing great indies late every sand fly in raglan took there piece of me.
ive surfed a little of the worlds waves and dont have this problem anywhere else, i love raglan,raglan hates me....

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: places you just cant surf anymore

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:48 am

You have just put me off ever going to Raglan. I hate sand flys.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:29 am

I have the same problem with sea lice, they love me! At Lohi's last year they where rife on a coupla days. I found out that the insect repellant sun block worked really well and ended up going through two tubes of it. Also found that really hot water, same as bluebottle sting, followed by a rub with anti-bacterial wipes cleared up the bite in a coupla days.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:28 pm

the detail u won't find in a surf mag 8)

i'm safe...traveling with a mate who just attracts the suckers.....i invite him fishing all the time :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:32 pm

I hate sand flys, just hate em.

Got attacked when I had a stay at Boambee Bay in Sawtell about 10 years ago. My feet were covered and they itched for a week to 10 days, each and every one of them. I hate itchy feet!

As for other places you just can't surf anymore, well, not with any self-respect anyway, - Bondi!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:And yeah I thought this would be about crowds etc...and in keeping with that theme I would say Nth Steyne and Queenscliff. Too many "no idea" punters having a crack to make the experience anything other than an exercise in frustration and self preservation.
Obviously the Pass.

Superbank!

Dee Why point if you haven't already been doing it for 15 years.

Maroubra north end when that is the only part of the beach working.

There's a batch of places where the cost/benefit analysis just doesn't work out well.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote: I call 'em march flies....same thing??
Aren't March Flies those great big bastards?
Bite like a horse. :twisted:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Have also heard them called horse flies, (I assumed your comment related to that TrevG) and was never sure whether it was march flies or marsh flies. Yep, dem the big ones.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:21 pm

march flies are a different and bigger version of horse flies and stable flies ... they are bigger and meaner ... the male march fly is vegetarian but the female march fly feeds on blood and they like human blood ... they use 2 spear like prongs at their mouth to slash open the skin then poke at it to get the blood flowing and then drink the blood that oozes out ... obviously by the time they make the first bite you are aware of them so we humans only feel the bite then give them a whack ... an animal that can't reach the fly on it's back or something isn't so lucky ...

they are not one of God's more pleasant creations ... :idea:

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:13 am

thankyou woolly,great cyber barrybackup....and bird rock would be the wave for me

DucksNuts
regular

Post by DucksNuts » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:37 am

Blackrock. Those booger flies suck my blood and make me want to commit

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:25 pm

There's a secret E coast left ledge that ive never surfed since getting off the belly and onto the feet. In fact, ive never known a stand-up to EVER surf this wave. Up untill a few years ago never even saw another soul surf it. Seriously shallow legde with very short surfable tide window.

Agree with DY point, can never be f@ked anymore, just not worth it unless your one of the 4 people getting waves out there on any given day

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Try eating garlic to get rid of the bugs.It comes out of the pores in your skin when you sweat bugs hate it (people too!)...As for places I wont bother with Id say bondi,manly,newport(the peaks been buried under sand for years)and nth narra is pretty over rated too.Ho and I nearly forgot bronte,even the fish swim past bronte :roll: ...