tips on rips for the beginners

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

tips on rips for the beginners

Post by marcus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hCZuYzNujI
(edit, made sticky for a month)
Last edited by marcus on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made sticky for a month
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

mical
barnacle

Re: tips on rips for the beginners

Post by mical » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Sticky please :idea:

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:35 pm

How the boobs on the chick at 3:25???

God I love boobs.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:31 pm

one thing id like to add is that rips can be a very useful tool for getting yourself out the back, but i guess by the time a beginner finds that out they are ready to use it.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Should this excellent safety video be screened regularly on TV :?:
I think so but fear that the people who would benefit most by watching it probably won't bother. :(
Nice boob diversion at 3.25. :D

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:08 pm

good idea :idea:

get that video into as many schools as possible.
its an easy to understand for all education of basic surf knowledge. it :!: might save someones life
signatures, finally got it covered.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:10 pm

chrisb wrote:Should this excellent safety video be screened regularly on TV :?:
I think so but fear that the people who would benefit most by watching it probably won't bother. :(
Nice boob diversion at 3.25. :D

^^yeah, why not. its easy to follow
signatures, finally got it covered.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:04 am

Dr Rob Brander from UNSW.

He does some good work. I watched two fat ladies nearly drown the other day going out into water that seemed calm with that big swell coming in and breaking a few hundred metres away. What they didn't know was that the little bay they were paddling in was part of a large rip which took them out to where the waves were breaking.

Lucky some lifeguards were there, and the boat that helped tow them in.

Stupid stupid people.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Its good that it was narrated by a guy with an American accent. That way the tourists will be able to understand him ;)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:41 pm

oldman wrote: Stupid stupid people.
Watched a surfer on a longboard out Bombo this morning break his legrope and started going sideways towards the northern end while swimming against the rip. He got to within 10 feet of being able to stand up on a sandbank and started putting one arm up in the air.Luckily a set wave washed him in a bit further, allowing him to stagger up the beach. Total swimming time- about 5 minutes. I watched him return to his car, he looked mid 20s and fit.
Moral of the story- if you can't swim- don't go in the water!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:05 pm

People no longer listen several years ago a kid was digging a cave to hide in, in the side of a sandhill.
Local clubbies suggested that it was dangerous ( it was). Father told them to fcuk off and mind their own business! Five minutes later it collapsed killing two kids.
Remember the guy who successfully sued Waverley Council when he dived under a wave and broke his neck on the same sandbank on which he had been standing. FFS. His case was based on the fact that there had been no warning signs!
The tragedies are sad and horrific for the families, but common sense has gone out the door and the Gubberment will dictate the how to do on everything for a fee of course.
Older posters think about the differences between old time Surfaris up or down the coast and how much you are regulated now! No fires, National Rules... where you can camp or not etc some regs are an improvement but others are just nonsensical.
Watched a whole summer break of no brains at my local beach, flat as but still minimum of 3 rescues a day :evil:

RANT OVER Thank you for listening or ignoring.

More shark warnings less tourists.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:37 am

Sadly there was another rip tragedy yesterday on the NSW South Coast:-

Father drowns trying to save sons from surf January 25, 2010 - 9:18AM

A man who drowned in rough seas off the NSW south coast died trying to save three boys, including his two sons, from a rip, police say.

The incident follows the deaths of Joseph and Carole Sherry, from Orangeville in Sydney's south-west, who drowned at Ballina on the NSW north coast while on holiday last week.

Do you know more? Message 0424 SMS SMH (+61 424 767 764) or email us or direct message us on Twitter @smh_news with information or images.

Their three children, Monique, 17, Elise, 14, and Nicholas, nine, were also at the beach.

Police have issued a warning about the hazards of swimming at unpatrolled beaches.

"Police are advising that people should, where possible, only swim at patrolled beaches and should take care to familiarise themselves with an area before venturing into the surf," police said.

In yesterday's tragedy, the 48-year-old man and a number of other people entered the water at the unpatrolled Lake Conjola beach about 7.30pm yesterday when his two sons and a friend "got into difficulties".

"Two of the boys were brought safely to shore, while the 48-year-old man rescued one of his sons. However, he then apparently got into difficulties and was lost from sight," police said in a statement.

"Board riders began searching the surf until the man was found, shortly before 8pm, and was brought to the beach, where CPR was administered."

He could not be revived.

"It is believed the man is from Newtown in Sydney and was holidaying with his family at the nearby town of Berringer Lake," police said.

The man's identity is yet to be confirmed by police, who will prepare a report for the coroner on the incident.

Beach safety website beachsafe.org.au says Conjola can have up to 10 rips at one time, joined by a continuous trough separating the sand bar from the beach.

The owner of a caravan park on the lake said he did not encourage guests to swim at the beach because of the rips.

"It can get dangerous but that's the same with all beaches that are unpatrolled," Allen MacDougall said.

"We encourage people to swim at the lake because it's a lovely, pristine lake and it goes right along the edge of the [Lake Conjola Entrance Tourist] Park."

Mr MacDougall said he had lived in the area for five years and this was the first drowning he had seen.

Earlier on Sunday, about 3pm, a woman had to be revived after getting caught in a rip while swimming with her 12-year-old child at North Broulee near Batemans Bay, the Australian Lifeguard Service (NSW) said.

"The woman was brought to shore by other swimmers and was displaying no signs of life," NSW Lifeguard manager Stephen Leahy said in a statement.

She was revived by rescue crews and then taken to hospital.

The woman had been swimming at an unpatrolled section of the beach, the service said.

The common theme seems to be outside the flags or unpatrolled. Even up at No-Mans there's wallys swimming, sometimes getting in the boardriders way. Guess who comes to their rescue if they get into trouble :?:

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:52 am

Reminds me of the attitude over on the 'surf etiquette signs at Manly' thread where a number of posters were opposed to them due to being sick of being told what to do. I've seen the same attitudes at various beaches when clueless tourists have been told to get between the flags & it makes me think these people NEED a near-drowning experience to realise their idiocy can get them (& others sadly) killed.

I can't help but feel an overwhelming sadness whenever I hear of stories like the ones we've heard over the last few days. Those ads they've been showing recently (the ones where you've got the two people carrying the signs stating to swim perpendicular to the beach when caught in a rip) I thought were pretty good in their simplicity, but I reckon that video of the UNSW guy should be mandatory viewing for all.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:36 am

Don't worry Karlos I remember Virginia Trioli interviewing the Harbour Master at Newcastle after the Pasha Bulka ran onto the reef. He said they were going to tow the ship till it was perpendicular to the reef. She questioned the logic of that and when he explained it needed to be 90 degrees to the reef she told him she thought he would find that that was wrong and that perpendicular was 180 degrees :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I mean why would the harbour master know anything about moving vessels at angles compared to a journo with an arts background. Never did hear a correction about that or an apology.

So if she doesn't know what perpendicular means how many people do?

Last year I dragged a couple of Indian or something tourists out of the gutter next to the flags. I was literally standing in knee deep water a metre from them. Chucked a boogie board to one dragged him in and told him to walk to the beach. Dragged the other one out and told him the same thing. As the second one walks in he sees his mate on the beach who waves to him so he walks towards him straight into the gutter about 2 metres from shore and he's back out next to me in the gutter in about 39 seconds. :? :? :?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:40 am

That's a good video.
Certainly should be mandatory viewing for everybody.
Only thing I can suggest might improve it is possibly a reference to the danger of the edges of sandbars suddenly collapsing into a rip.
So, where he suggests swimming across the rip to the sandbar (where the white water is), perhaps he should make the point that you need to get a good few metres inside the white water area before you relax.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 pm

No graphic designer involved it seems.
-the sandbars are yellow and the rips purple at the start but later, the rips are shown as yellow.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:09 pm

we need a graphic designer at every beach!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 am

Theyre probably is. Tell em to get back to work. The bludgers.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?