Rubber

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Jimi
Local

Rubber

Post by Jimi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:31 am

It gets done every year, most are probably sick of hearing about it, but im going to bring it up again.
When surfing on Tuesday I was loving the water temperature (Sydney). Felt warm as and perfect to be paddling around in, but the amount of full length rubber on display, at midday, under a hot sun was unbelievable!!
What is going on? And I dont want the 'avoiding sun burn' excuse', I didnt get burnt at all with a long sleeve rashie and boardies, so that excuse just doesn't work.
What's the go?

Little D
regular

Re: Rubber

Post by Little D » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:58 am

Agreed Jimi, way too much rubber.
No need for anything longer than a springy this time of year.
I only recently discovered the brilliance of wettie top (1mm) for the early session this time of year.
Maybe full steamers this time of year provides some extra protection from the numerous threats at local beaches i.e. bluebottles, reef/rocks, out-of-control-learner-boards, shovel weilding bodyboarders...

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Jimi wrote:It gets done every year, most are probably sick of hearing about it, but im going to bring it up again.
When surfing on Tuesday I was loving the water temperature (Sydney). Felt warm as and perfect to be paddling around in, but the amount of full length rubber on display, at midday, under a hot sun was unbelievable!!
What is going on? And I dont want the 'avoiding sun burn' excuse', I didnt get burnt at all with a long sleeve rashie and boardies, so that excuse just doesn't work.
What's the go?
on behalf of all surfin ginja ninjas out there:

fark off cnut!

I wear a 3/2 in summer purely for the sun protection factor.

again:

fark off cnut!

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm

There were two guys out in bloody spring suits up here on Tuesday morning, the sun was fecking beating down for fks sake. Would have been about 30 degrees with the water temp close

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm

You don't need a 3/2 Animal_Chin, you need this:
sunscreen.jpg
sunscreen.jpg (40.88 KiB) Viewed 4183 times

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Wear a short-arm 2/2. I can surf for boardies for an hour or so with no wind before getting too cold.

But for a 2-3hr surf I need the extra little bit of rubber, I'm a skinny bastard!

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Apply the above as such:
sunscreen 2.jpg
You're good to go surfin' :mrgreen:

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:49 pm

woolly wrote:my boiled lolly is more colourful than your boiled lolly
you stay the fcuk away from my boiled lolly...

pervert.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm still wearing a steamer cause I know when I see s&t he'll fire up no end :D
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:31 pm

I recon fashion statement for sure, same with all this retro garbage.I've never seen so many guys with beards driving around in camper vans as I have this year.And when they suit up guess what ? Retro fishes and steamers.No wonder they're all so skinny it must be 40 deg in there.I dont mind the lentle soop but get rid of the steamers and have a shave for f$@# sake. :?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:01 am

Animal_Chin wrote:
woolly wrote:my boiled lolly is more colourful than your boiled lolly
you stay the fcuk away from my boiled lolly...

pervert.
:lol: :lol:
Animal_Chin wrote: on behalf of all surfin ginja ninjas out there:

fark off cnut!

I wear a 3/2 in summer purely for the sun protection factor.

again:

fark off cnut!
If your anywhere north of Eden I just dont know how you do it. Full rubber in 35 degree sun?? There are far more comfortable ways to keep from getting sunburnt.
Your must be flushing water through the neck of your suit every 30 seconds just to keep from overheating.
Or are you the most ginga ginga in the history of gingas?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:01 am

they are doin it everywhere, even up here in northern NSW, it has been hot as hell, water temps of about 23 the other day and heaps of knobs wearing steamers, some in springys' too, farx me why but did notice the guys in steamers couldnt surf so looks like just a kook thing, "I'm a surfer so I gotta wear a wetty ", " oh yeah, I rip on my 6'1" when I have the ability of a steaming turd and should be on a mini-mal or softboard, but hey I look the part and got all the gear"...oops, can you tell the holiday crowds have made me bitter... :roll: nah, everyone has to learn but there are some real wankers in the water and just no common sense at all.......

I surf in boardies only as much as possible, rashie for the middle of the day stuff, wettie only when its cold...I know weird hey ???.... :roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:57 am

my point was when it is very hot and no need for any rubber, the guys who I have seen in steamers are often of quite low ability, not sure why they would even consider a wetty in the warm water, can only be restrictive, not to mention , bloody hot.....but yes, kooks are in boardies too...I was prob too hard in earlier post, sorry to all learners and kooks who wear wetties when it is 23 in the water and 36 on the beach....

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:11 am

What's funny is all the 16-18 year old guys who, the second it's summer, 'have' to wear boardies without a vest even on days where a NE has blown and the water is cold again. I love it as they don't last long and get out. It must be terrible being one of these guys cause they can't wear a vest, heaven forbid, they would be the laughing stock of all their mates! They then have to get on Real Surf and complain about the rubber to make sure everyone knows they are the real deal.

For me a springy is the best. No nasty surprises when the water temp drops over night, I'm never hot nor cold, just right, except my balls are up in my throat cause the bastard rides up too much.
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:18 am

I'm not a ranga but I wear a steamer all year round myself because my skin is as pure and white as the driven snow.

Fcuked if I'm getting burnt, because when I burn, I fcuking burn
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 am

pridmore wrote:"I'm a surfer so I gotta wear a wetty "
I reckon most of us could probably own up to a bit of dressing for success -- or effect -- in the surf.

It'd be a rare surfer who hasn't done so over the years -- picking one pair of boardies over another because at some level, it made you feel a bit more confident (along with all the more acceptable reasons, comfort, practicality etc etc)

Think of the things you DON'T wear in the surf, despite their practicality -- neoprene shorts for instance -- and you'll see what I mean, if only in reverse.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:24 pm

I Couldn't give 2 frkcs what people wear in the surf. Its up to them.

I wear a thin springy most the time as its great sun protection and holds the tackle in.

Im more amazed at those that sit out there all day bare backed with skin the colour of beetroot by the end of the day.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:02 pm

yeah I cant do the bare back thing, too paranoid about the sun. A 1mm vest or long sleeve rashie does the job.

Hatchy, what does the water temp max out at down there?? I can understand wearing a steamer down there, but in Syd, and further north, just comfort factor. Rubber = harder to paddle, get too hot.
There is nothing like that feeling of jumping out for a surf in boardies and getting that light and naked feeling. Feels like you can paddle twice as fast.