Hey Longinus!!!!!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chillin
charger

Re: Hey Longinus!!!!!

Post by Chillin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:19 am

Page 5

Four weeks after their affair began the house was raided on suspicion of drugs. He’d kicked himself for breaking his own golden rule and leaving some stuff in the pot above the stove. Luckily it was a small amount and as it was his first offence. He’d escaped with a fine.
Next was an un-roadworthy ticket for his van. Okay it had a bit of rust in the tailgate, but it was hardly un-roadworthy. He’d always kept it mechanically sound and made sure the tyres where in good nick. After that the sergeant had continued a steady stream of niggling incidents that left no doubt that he was not going to let things slide.
The other cop in town was a former school friend Darren Finch. He’d grown up just a few doors down the road and they’d spent many summers hanging out and surfing together. Their relationship had soured after Finchy had returned from his police training and came back to town like an avenging angel deciding to clean up the local drug scene. This appalled everyone because they had all shared a few nights on the grog and weed with him. Instead of tidying up the town he ended up alienating himself from his roots. People said he would arrest his own mother to further himself.

Sweat was running down his back now making his t-shirt cling like a second skin. He walked fast, constantly listening for cars and occasionally looking at the phone. He told himself that he would dive into the bushes if a car came by that he didn’t recognize. Eventually he reached the end of the track and headed down the fire road that joined the highway near the servo.
The sound of a car coming up behind him was more of a problem than a relief as a thousand scenarios flashed through his head. A minute later the battered old Sigma wagon belonging to Paul ‘Aussie’ White pulled up beside him.
“G’day Waz,” Aussie said as a cloud of roll your own smoke drifted out of the car “Need a lift?”
“Yeah, thanks mate, the battery died on the old van down at Seaweed.”
“Spewin’. D’yer wanna go an jump start her?”
“Nah, if you drop me at the servo I’ll buy a battery and ring me missus to come and get me”
“No worries. Any waves down at Seaweed?”
“Na, it’s pretty small,” he lied.
Aussie was a born and bred local who’d left school early and never went back. He lived with his mum south of town near Grays Head. Their old weatherboard house had once been a farm and fishing shack for his father, who’d died in a boating accident when Aussie was young. He’d never worked a real job in his life and spent his days fishing, surfing and tending his veggie garden, which was his only source of income.
Grays Head overlooked a bombora that was surfable above four feet and really turned on over six. The story goes that Aussie had surfed there every time it was on for the best part of fifteen years.
“Been down to the campground at Stingray Creek for a coupla days, fishing ‘n’ stuff,” he said, “I’ve found some old chook ta shag down there.”
“Haha, ya mad bugger. Is that a new board in the back?”
“Yea, she’s a pretty grateful chick; she looks after me real well”
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Page six

What anyone would find attractive about Aussie was beyond him, but the board in the back looked pretty sweet with its big city style paint job and glassed in fins sitting between a narrow swallowtail.
The old Sigma chugged into the servo driveway and Warren climbed out. He had another look in the back and noticed a new fishing rod and a shiny new tackle box. Aussie followed his gaze. “She’s a great root too, ay.”
Warren grinned, “There’s no doubt about you mate.”
“Catch ya later Waz,” Aussie said as he gunned the car out of the servo and back towards town.
He watched the car disappear around the bend with his mind was full of questions. He’d known Aussie for years but they had never really been mates. Aussie loved a big night out and usually ended up picking a brawl with some unfortunate tourist. He was a pretty intimidating character, solidly built and covered in tattoos that looked all the more daunting against his dark part koori skin. Mind you, he was generally easy going when he was sober, except when he was out in the surf. Nobody dropped in on Aussie, especially at Gray’s Bombie. As far as Warren knew, Aussie had never had a steady girl and usually didn’t give a rat’s who he went home with. His latest exploits were no surprise.
He took the phone from his pocket and looked at the screen; finally the signal bar was full. He frowned at the irony and went into the servo.
“Hi Waz,” the girl behind the counter said.
“Hi Sharon, you got a phone book?”
“Yeah,” she said, reaching under the counter.
He looked up the local police station number.
“Do you want to use the phone?” Sharon asked.
“Nah, its cool I’ll use my mobile”
“Why do you need the police?” She asked, looking over his shoulder.
For a moment he froze, wondering what was he going to say. “I just want to let 'em know my car’s stuck down at Seaweeds, in case someone finds it before I get back.”
“Do you want me to get Dad to tow it back here for you?”
“Nah, I’ll just need to buy a battery and she’ll be sweet, I’ll get Leanne to run me back down.”
“While you’re on the phone, you might tell ’em about that,” she said, pointing to a silver grey Porsche Cayenne 4WD that was parked in the picnic area next to the lookout. “It’s been sitting there for a coupla days.”
“Nice,” he said “Do you think it’s been dumped?”
“Dunno. It was there when we opened up on Tuesday morning and nobody’s been near it since.”
“I’ll let ’em know.”

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks fella! Keep it going!

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:14 pm

page seven
He walked outside and went over to check out the car. He had never seen a Porsche Cayenne. There was some camping gear and a couple of designer travel bags in the back. None of it looked like it had ever been used. He tried the driver’s side door; it was locked. There was nothing in the front except a map of the local area on the front passenger seat. He sat down on a bench and looked at the Porsche. Could it belong to his dead friend? If it did, how come it’s up here and not down at the beach? He shrugged his shoulders. What the hell, he thought, it was a matter for the police now; but his heart was racing as he dialed the number.
“Henderson police, Constable Finch speaking”
“G’day Darren, its Warren Dickson here”
“What can I do for you Warren?” The tone on the line was icy.
“Mate, I went for a surf this morning at Seaweed and I found a dead body on the beach.”
The line was silent for a moment. “Is it anybody we know?”
“No.”
“Where are you now?”
“At the servo on the highway.”
“Okay, we are on our way.”
He hung up and called Leanne. “What’s the matter? Where are you?” she said.
Strange how women always seem to know when there’s trouble.
“My vans got a flat battery down at Seaweeds; can you come up to the servo and pick me up?”
“Why don’t you get the mechanic to run you down? It’s only a few minutes away.”
“Just come and get me okay, I’m not in the mood for stuffing around,” he seethed.
“Jeez, calm down, I’ll come after I finish at the hairdressers.”
Friggin women. “I’ll be waiting.”

The police must have made the trip in record time. The sergeant leaned out the window as they pulled up. “Get in” he said.
“You don’t need me. Just go down there and walk along the creek, you can’t miss it.”
The sergeant got out of the car. “Get in the car Mr. Dickson,” he said.
Warren hesitated for a moment and then climbed into the back seat. The cop shut the door “You had better tell us what you saw.” He said.
Warren told them everything as they drove back to Seaweed, except his encounter with Aussie. They parked the car next to his van and he led them down the track to the body. As they cleared the trees it came into view, exactly as he’d left it, much to his relief.
“You say you moved it?” the sergeant asked.
“It was down there,” he motioned, “the tide would have covered it by now if I hadn’t.”
“Your fingerprints are gonna be all over it.”
“I thought it was the right thing to do.”
“Yeah, well forensics and a couple of detectives are on their way from Wendell,”
“Can I go?”
“Go where?”
“I’ve asked Leanne to come and pick me up.”
There was an almost imperceptible flinch in the Sergeants eyes at the mention of his ex-wife’s name. “I think you had better hang around here until the D’s have talked to you.”

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:57 am

page 8

“I just want to get my van fixed and go home. If they want me they can find me there.”
“It doesn’t work like that.”
“Why not, I’m not a suspect.”
“We have a dead body with you’re fingerprints all over it.” The police sergeant said.
The two men stared at each other for a moment “You can’t pin this on me.” Warren said.
“You should stay here until the detectives arrive and give them a statement.” The sergeant replied.
Warren was about to walk away, but stopped. “It’s not my fault what happened between you and Leanne” He said.
“I know,” the cop said. There was a long awkward moment, and then his voice softened slightly, “I’d appreciate it if you would hang around.”
Warren turned and walked away.
He was stuck at Seaweed for two hours waiting to give his statement to the police. Then came the news that his van was being impounded so it could be checked over by the forensic crew. His crappy day was getting worse.
The dusty parking area filled with police cars and vans. Plain-clothes officers were working together with uniformed police as they swept the area for clues. Warren was sitting on a fallen tree looking at the waves as they peeled across the sandbar when a loud shout shattered the tranquility. It took only a moment to realize what it was; Leanne had arrived. The cops had stopped her and told her not to get out of the car.
Leanne had been married to a policeman long enough to know when to follow instructions. nonetheless, her demeanor was more angry than curious.
“What have you done?” she demanded. “Why are all these cops here?”
He climbed into the passenger seat. “I didn’t do anything; I just found a dead body on the beach.”
Leanne looked at him, staring intently into his eyes. Then she nodded to herself, “We’d better get out of here.”

The following morning he woke from fretful sleep to be confronted by Leanne walking naked around the bedroom.
“So, you finally woke up,” she said mockingly.
“I don’t think I got to sleep till 4ish.”
“I don’t know what you’re worried about. I don’t think they have any reason to make you a suspect.”
“I know, but I’m not exactly their favorite person.”
“Pete may be a lousy husband, but he’s not a bad cop and won’t draw any conclusions. Besides, it’s a problem for the homicide squad, not the local police.”
Warren looked at her standing in the doorway. She was a beautiful woman by any standards and he wondered what had drawn her to the burly police sergeant. There were many questions about her past that remained unanswered. He climbed out of bed and she walked over to him, sliding her arms around his neck.
“Don’t worry, he’s not going to get me back,” she said.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:52 am

Page 9
“I know, I’m not worried about that. I’m more concerned about the fact that somebody has been murdered in this little town. It’s not something that you imagine would happen around here.”
She kissed him lightly and then turned and walked over to the dresser to apply her make-up. He didn’t realise he was staring, but she smirked in the mirror. “Are you going to get dressed?”
“You started something,” he said, walking towards her.
“I don’t have time for that, you are going to have to wait until I get home this afternoon.”
He was just about to try and persuade her differently when the phone rang.
“Hello... Yep………no worries see ya soon.”
“Who was it?”
“Smithy. He got the contract to do the extensions to the pub, which means we’ve got work for the next six months at least.”
“That’s great news.”
“Yeah, let’s celebrate,” he said, wrapping his hands around her waist.
“Warren! Don’t, I’ve just done my hair.”
Again he was interrupted by the phone ringing. Reluctantly he picked it up. “Hello?”
“Sergeant Lewis here Warren. You can pick up your van this afternoon.”
“Good, thanks. I’ll get Smithy to drop me down after work” he replied.
“You’ll need to sign the statement that you made yesterday while you’re here.”
“No worries.”
“And Warren,” Lewis said, “It might be a good idea to keep it under your hat for now.”
“Okay, yeah, I’ll see you this afternoon.” He put the phone down and turned back to Leanne “I can’t believe that.”
“Was that Peter?”
“Yeah. I guess I may as well give up on sex. Even your ex is cramping my style.”
“What style Mr. Groper?” she laughed.
He shrugged and dragged on a pair of shorts.
“Aren’t you going to wear any underwear?” she said.
“My name is not Mr. Groper, its Captain Commando!”
“Ha-ha, I hope you aren’t going up any ladders today.”

Leanne’s new job as a salesperson at the Real Estate agency was great. It had allowed them to move into the nice unit that looked over the park towards town beach. It was certainly more salubrious than his room over the Chinese restaurant.
Smithy arrived at the front door just as Leanne was leaving. “Did you hear the news this morning? They found a body on Seaweed’s beach.”
Leanne grinned, “Ask Captain Commando about it,” she said as she brushed past.
“Captain Commando?” Smithy called after her, but Leanne ignored him and kept walking. Smithy looked back at Warren quizzically.
“I found him yesterday morning when I went for a surf,” Warren said.
“Holy shit!”
“Yeah, I know.”
“Who was it?”
“Dunno.”

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:47 am

Page 10

“Fark Waz! Did it look like a murder?”
“Shit Smithy, I don’t know mate. I’m not supposed to talk about it.”
“Bullcrap mate, its all aver the radio, and it was on the telly this morning. You may as well tell me all about it.”
“The cops have asked me to keep it quiet, so I’ll have to ask you to not tell anyone else.”

Later that afternoon Warren was dropped at the police station to pick up his van. Smithy thought it was a great joke that the cops had given his van a free tow back to town but Warren was shitted off to see his board and gear covered in the black forensic dust. After signing all the paperwork he spent half an hour fitting his new battery into place. The old girl started first turn of the key.
As he was pulling out of the holding lot he noticed the Porsche Cayenne parked in the garage area. It too had been dusted for fingerprints. The hair on his neck suddenly prickled as the realisation hit that his fingerprints were on the front door handle. He hesitated for a moment, trying to decide what to do. Resignedly he threw the van into reverse and pulled back into the car park. He walked back into the station. “I forgot something,” he said as Constable Finch looked up.
“Something important?” Finch said.
“Maybe. I tried the drivers’ side door on the Porsche while I was waiting at the servo.”
“Why did you do that?”
“I don’t know. I was just curious I think.”
The cop turned and called out. “Sarge!”

Sergeant Peter Lewis stuck his head out of the doorway behind him. “Ah Warren, I’m glad you came back, we’ve got some more questions for you. Come on through.” He motioned to the handle-less door on the right of the counter. The Constable unlocked the door from the inside and Warren walked through and into the interview room.
Inside there was another man sitting at the table. He stood as Warren walked in. “Hello Warren, I’m Detective Philip Hall.”
“G’day,” Warren said. The detective looked down at some papers on the table in front of him. He seemed to take an interminable amount of time to examine them. He made a note on the top of the page then sat back down and looked up at Warren.
“Mr. Dickson, it says here that your fingerprints are on the driver’s door of the Porsche Cayenne 4WD that was found in the parking lot of the Oceanview service station.” He paused for a moment before continuing “Do you have an explanation for that?”
“I was just having a look inside. I’m not quite sure why I tried the door, I just did. I’m prepared to make a statement to that effect.”
The detective glanced across at the sergeant then back at Warren. He seemed to be weighing the situation up. “We have traced the owner of that vehicle. It belongs to a Sydney property developer by the name of Dieter Bandenhouser. Mr. Bandenhouser was on a surfing and fishing holiday before his untimely demise.” He watched Warren closely, probably looking for some kind of reaction.
“Is that the person I found down the beach?” Warren asked.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 am

Page 11

The detective consulted his notes again. He ignored Warren’s question. “Tell me Mr. Dickson, did you see a surfboard or fishing rod in the back of the Porsche?”
“No.”
Hall made some additions to his paperwork at Warren’s reply then looked across to the sergeant. “Take a statement from Mr. Dickson. After that he can go.” He looked back at Warren. “Thank you Mr. Dickson, you’ve been very helpful and if you think of anything else, please call me.” He dismissed them both by sitting down and continuing his notes.
Ten minutes later Warren was driving out of the Police station. As soon as he was out of sight he gunned the van down the road heading for Aussie’s place. He felt like screaming at every other driver on the road to get out of the way. He got stuck at the Bain Street intersection when a bunch of kids crossed on their way to the pool.
‘Surely Aussie wouldn’t kill for a surfboard and a fishing rod, would he?’ his mind queried. The lights turned green and he accelerated past the ugly new housing development with its wall to wall McMansions and perfectly groomed lawns.
His patience was again tested when he came up behind Ma and Pa retiree in a brand new Toyota Prado towing their palace-on-wheels. Much to his relief they turned off at the caravan park at Stinkie's Corner. A sign stuck on the back of their caravan read ‘Adventure before Dementure!. He laughed out loud and waited until the behemoth cleared the road before gunning the van up through the gears.

At a hundred kilometers an hour the old van rattled and shook like a dog with worms, a legacy of the badly out of balance front wheel that he hadn’t repaired. Grays head came into view through the trees momentarily as the road curved around the side of the hill. It skirted the old timber mill before running back towards the coast. The tyres howled in protest as he pushed the van through a series of bends.
Warren had never been to Aussie’s place and he didn’t know anyone who had. The only thing he knew was that it was at the end of a dirt track marked by a broken gate. He slowed down looking for the big Moreton Bay Fig that overhung the highway just before the entrance. Eventually he saw the hand painted sign - ‘Private road, keep out’ – and swung the van way too fast onto the dirt track, causing the suspension to clunk in protest as he bounced over the cattle grid.
The track meandered though a copse of trees before opening onto a green paddock. Old grey hardwood fences kept several cows off the track and served as a climbing frame for blackberry bush and lantana. He could see the house up ahead surrounded by two giant gum trees. It was the same colour as the fences and had noticeable lean away from the prevailing winds. It seemed like the old gum trees were the only thing keeping the whole house from falling over. The yard was littered with old car bodies and junk that was home for chickens and dogs. The overgrown vegetable gardens were jammed with weeds, although there seemed to be a healthy crop of corn standing proudly down one side.
He pulled up next to the dilapidated veranda to be greeted by a couple of large dogs who barked and jumped up at the van. An old Koori lady appeared at the screen door. She swore loudly and profusely at the dogs until they settled down. “Yer might want to stay in yer car,” she advised.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:53 pm

get scribbling. the suspense is driving me crazy.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi Chillin,
re-reading this, it's just as good the second time round.
I'm reminded of the time many years ago when our family was sitting round the dinner table, post meal and discussing the new film "The Bicentennial Man".
As all three of our kids were pretty much into sci-fi and assuming they had read the story, I commented that "it was sad when he died"
None had read it had they? :oops:
"Gee! Thanks Dad!" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
But don't worry, I won't drop any hints as to who dun it. 8)

ps. keep up the good work.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:39 am

Page 12

He looked down at the dogs then wound the window down. “Hi Mrs.White. My name’s Warren Dickson, I was wondering if Aussie’s home?”
“He’s down the back having a surf,” she said.
Warren just stared at her for a minute. He looked at his watch, it was 5.15pm and would be dark soon. “Would you mind if I wait?” he asked.
“Please y’self,” she said. “D’yer want to come in?”
He looked down at the two dogs, “What about them?”
“They won’t hurt yer, unless I tell ’em too,” she said.

Tentatively he opened the door. The dogs started barking and snarling again but where settled by another tirade from Mrs. White. He got out of the van and walked gingerly past them.
“I thought you might have been another one of them fellas in the black suits” Mrs White said as she unlocked the screen.
“What fellas in black suits?” he asked.
“They’ve been coming round here trying to buy my land. I just keep telling ’em to piss off, but they won’t leave me alone.”
Inside, the house was neat and tidy despite being in need of a new coat of paint. The hallway went right through the house, passed two closed doors, probably bedrooms, then the opened into a kitchen and a small lounge. The back door led onto a screened back veranda. Aussie’s Mitsubishi Sigma was parked in the old milking shed.
The land behind the house fell away towards the ocean giving an uninterrupted view over a private cove. Despite having lived in this area all his life Warren had no idea the cove existed. In the distance he could make out the shape of Aussie hunched over his board waiting for waves off the southern headland. There wasn’t really much of a beach, just a boulder strewn stretch of sand that kept the waves from eroding the red soiled bank where the paddock ended.
“Mrs. White this is beautiful,” he said.
Her smile was gentle and knowing. “Can I get you a drink?” she asked.
“Just water thanks.”
“I’ve got some beer there.”
“Nah, water's good, thanks anyway.”
“Are you a friend of Paul’s?” she asked from the kitchen.
“We went to school together and we surf a bit sometimes, especially at Gray’s Bombie.”
The Bombie was just over the headland to the south, probably about a fifteen minute walk.
“Oh yes, he loves his surfing. He just got a new board you know.”

The dogs started barking outside and Mrs. White cursed again as she walked back up the hall to see what had excited them this time. Warren heard a male voice talking calmly over the ruckus. Mrs. White replied, filling the air with yet another stream of obscenities. Warren tried to ignore the noise, but eventually curiosity dragged him up off the lounge. The old woman stood resolute at the locked fly screen door while the car’s occupants did their best to placate the dogs’ escalating excitement.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 am

Page 13

Warren intervened. “Call off the dogs Mrs. White.” He said. She turned and looked at him momentarily, then called to the dogs in her now familiar colourful language. He eased past her and opened the screen. Thankfully the dogs obeyed and calmed themselves. Mrs. White followed him out the door and stood beside him. Two men in dark suits climbed from the black Audi A8 sedan and moved warily towards the steps. The dogs bristled and moved towards them. Mrs. White only had to call out for them to quieten. Warren was pretty impressed by her control.
“Don’t bother getting any closer,” she said.
“Mrs. White, we only want to talk to you,” the smaller man said. He was slightly built but immaculately dressed, and bore the air of a man well used to being in control. He made no effort to stop at the bottom of the stairs.
“I think Mrs. White has asked you to leave,” Warren said.

Now the man stopped, acknowledging Warren for the first time. “And who are you?” he asked.
“It doesn’t matter who I am mate. Mrs. White asked you to leave her property.”
The other man moved now, just a slight turn of the head and shoulders that made little doubt as to his intensions. He was large and broad, and had the face of a man that had seen a tough life. The smaller man held up his hand and the movement stopped. He turned from Warren dismissively and looked at Mrs. White.
“We have made you a very generous offer Mrs. White. It’s an offer which will make you an extremely rich person. If you force me to have your land re-zoned, then I can assure you that you will likely receive only a fraction of this amount”
“I don’t want your money, now git from my land or I’ll sik the dogs onto yers,” Mrs. White said.
The man continued unperturbed, “I don’t think you would want to face assault charges Mrs. White. Why don’t we go inside and have a little talk about your options.”
His condescending tone was really starting to grate on Warren. He felt it was not his place to interfere, but he did anyway.
“I don’t know who you are mate, but around here we don’t go threatening people. Now get in your car and leave or I’m going to call the police and have you arrested for trespassing.” He pulled his phone from his pocket.
The man smiled thinly and looked at Warren like he was looking at a child. “Well, isn’t that also a threat?” he asked.
Warren flipped the phone open and thumbed the search button. “It’s up to you mate” he said, poised over the ‘send’ key. The man stared at him for a few moments. Then he nodded, pursing his lips in deliberation. He looked back at Mrs. White.
“I’m afraid your friend here has forced me to withdraw my offer and I now intend to pursue this matter through the council.”
With that, he turned and walked back to the car. His burly companion quickly opened the door for him before heading for the other side. He paused and looked at Warren through mirrored sunglasses, as if he was summing him up, then climbed into the car.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Keep 'em coming - they're a fcuking great read. :!:

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 am

Page 14

They stood and watched the car disappear with the dogs tailing behind. Warren turned to Mrs. White. “I think I’ll have that beer now” he said.

He screwed the cap off his beer and set out down the path towards Aussie’s private break. He took a mouthful and sighed. What the hell had he done to deserve all this crap in his life?
He stopped at the bottom of the paddock and watched Aussie making his way toward the shore. His movements were assured and uncomplicated, a reflection of his lifestyle.
The two men came together at the top of the worn path. “What the fcuk are you doing here?” Aussie said. The new board under his arm shone wetly in the orange of the setting sun behind them.
“Mate, you’ve got a problem and I came to warn you,” Warren said. He offered Aussie the cold beer he was carrying in his other hand.
“You shouldn’t be here Waz, just leave,” he said, dismissing Warrens offer by trying to push past.
Warren moved in front of him. “Where did you get that board Aussie?”
Aussie stopped. The muscles flexed and bulged on the side of his neck and coal black eyes stared back at warren with cool intensity.
“I found it.” he said matter-of-factly.
Warren lifted up the beer and held it up like a prize. “Take the beer mate,” he said. “We need to talk.”
Anger rose in Aussies face “I fcukin’ told you Waz, I found it, now eff off and leave me alone.”
Warren remained calm. “Oz, you told me the other day that you got it from some chick you were shaggin' down at Stingray.”
“Yeah, well you told me there was no surf at Seaweed, so we’re even.”
Exasperated, Warren thrust the cold beer onto Aussies chest “I found a fukkin’ dead body down on the beach at Seaweeds Oz. I just wanted you to stay away, now sit down, drink the friggin' beer and listen to what I have to say.”
Silence filled the moment, broken only by the sound of waves rolling onto the rocks. “Who was it?” Aussie said eventually.
“I just found out this arvo when I was at the cop shop. It was a Sydney property developer called Dieter Bandenhouser.”
“You’re fukkin’ joking!” Aussie said.
Warren started. “Don’t tell me you knew him?”
“Yeah. He was gunna buy this place from me. He told me he’d give me a million bucks.” He placed the surfboard carefully onto a patch of grass and took the beer out of Warren’s hand. He twisted the top off and took a long pull. What the fukk am I gunna do now?”
“Tell me how you got the board and the fishing gear Oz, and no bullshit. You may be a prime suspect in that bloke’s murder.”
“Why would I be a suspect in a friggin’ murder? I didn’t kill no one”
“Just put two and two together mate, the cops will - especially if they find out that that surfboard and fishing gear belonged to him.”

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:13 am

Page15

Warren sat down beside Aussie and stared out to sea. “Tell me what happened mate and I’ll see if I can help.”
They sat in silence sipping their beers until Aussie opened up. “He came up the track last Sat’dee. He was drivin’ that silver forby that was parked up at the Oceanview all week. I wondered why it was up there for so long, ay. Anyway, Ma had gone inta town for the bingo and this bloke seemed friendly and wanted to have a look at the land. You know what I mean Waz?”
Warren nodded.
“He talked about surfin’ and stuff, and how he was down here fishin’, and how he wanted to buy some land hereabouts ta retire to. He offered me a million bucks Waz, can you imagine a million bucks Waz? .... I can’t.”
Warren nodded, “Life’s not just about money Oz. You have every thing you need right here.”
“I know that mate, but me Ma’s been diagnosed with cancer, and she don’t have long to live ay. Who’s gonna look after me then Waz?” His voice cracked at the thought. “What am I gonna do around here without me Ma?”

Warren had a lump in his throat that the beer wouldn’t wash away. Aussie sat in silence for several minutes then continued.
“He gave me the board and the fishing gear - a ‘sweetner’ he called it. Mate, I was so stoked ay, I’ve been surfing that old board for so long. Ma was really pissed off that I took ’em. But I told her what Mr. Bandenhouser had offered and she just sighed and said something about history and families and stuff. Mr. Bandenhouser said I had to let him know when I was ready and he would come and see me and bring all the paperwork and stuff.
“Has anyone else been around making offers like that Oz?’ Warren asked.
“Yeah mate, these two pricks in a black limo have been hassling me and Ma for the past few days, they won’t leave us alone. I told ’em we’d already accepted Mr. Bandenhouser’s offer, but they kept coming round.” He fell silent again.
Both men had finished their beer and Warren wished he had brought a couple more. Aussie stared at the empty beer bottle in contempt then threw it into the grass.
“I suppose I’m gonna have to talk to those blokes now ay,” he said.
“This place is worth a lot more then a million bucks Oz. If you talk to the right people you could have far more money than that.”
Aussie looked around at him. “Are you serious?”
“Mate, I’ll tell you something. People are willing to pay a million bucks for a house near the beach. Imagine what they will pay for some land with a private beachfront and all within minutes from town. You would be better off keeping it and having someone build a couple of little surf shacks and leasing them out to surf starved city folk. They would pay just about anything for a surf without other surfers in the water.”
Before Aussie could answer him, the dogs started barking again. The two men looked back towards the house. A police car rolled to a stop alongside one of the gum trees. The dogs were going berserk at yet another intrusion.
“Shit” Aussie said, “I suppose we’d better go see what they want”

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:48 am

Only just saw this, top read so far Chillin - keep it coming i'm going to be bored at work today

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:01 am

page 16

“Mate, I think you had better prepare yourself for the worst. I reckon they might be here to talk to you about murder.”
Aussie’s head swung around quickly “What the fuck for? I didn’t do nuthin!”
“Mate, I reckon those guys that where here earlier in the black Audi have told the Police that you have Dieter Bandenhouser’s surfboard.”
“He fuckin' gave it to me man! I didn’t have to kill him for it.” Aussie pleaded.
“We had better get up there before the dogs tear the police car apart or the cops get out and shoot them,” Warren started, but Aussie was already sprinting up the path towards the house with the board. Warren jumped up and followed.

Aussie called to the dogs and they responded immediately, ceasing their campaign at the door of the police car and running up to him. He dropped the board and grabbed them both by the collar.
Warren caught up. “It’s all right mate. I don’t really think they’re going to shoot your dogs, it just kind of came out of me.”
Aussie patted the dogs and talked to them quietly.
Warren put his hand on Aussies shoulder. “Come on mate, let’s sort this out.”
Detective Hall got out of the passenger side door of the police car and walked towards them. Sergeant Lewis went the other way and intercepted Mrs. White, who was coming down the back steps yelling expletives at the police. Aussie called to her, “Pipe down Ma, I ain’t done nothing wrong.”
Detective Hall stood in front of Aussie. “Are you Paul White?” He asked.
“Yep,” Aussie replied.
“I’m Detective Hall from the Homicide squad. I believe you might be able to help us in our enquiries into the death of Mr. Dieter Bandenhouser.”
“I fucken’ doubt it mate,” Aussie replied.
The detective remained calm. “We would like you to accompany us to the Henderson police station to make a statement.”
“Am I under arrest?”
“Not at all, but as you are in possession of some of Mr. Bandenhouser’s belongings, I think you might be able to help.”
Warren intervened before Aussie could reply. “I’m heading back to town now detective; I can drop Aussie at the station if you like.”
The detective looked at Warren. “It’s very interesting to find you here Mr. Dickson,” he said.
Warren’s eyes narrowed. “Aussie told me that Mr. Bandenhouser gave him the surfboard and fishing gear as a sweetener in a real estate deal.”
This comment caused the detective to look sharply at Sergeant Lewis and the two men shared a knowing look. Detective Hall reached into his jacket pocket and took out his notebook. He wrote a few lines before looked back at Warren.
“Mr. Dickson, I’m not sure of your position in all this, but I would engage a lawyer if I where you.”
Warren thought for a moment. “How did you find out that Aussie had that fishing gear and surfboard detective?”

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 am

Page 17

Hall didn’t reply, he simply stared, his gaze going through Warren like a steel blade.
Aussie broke the deadlock. “If I ain’t under arrest, then I’ll get a lift with Waz” he said.
It was like an elastic band had snapped. Hall suddenly turned on his heel and walked back to the car. Warren looked questioningly at Lewis who looked back with a questioning frown then detective called him to the car and they drove away in a cloud of dust, trailed by the now loose dogs.
Mrs. White came out into the yard and handed them both a cold beer. Considering how dry Warren’s throat was it was one of the best beers he’d ever had.

Chapter Three

Leanne rang and told him she’d booked a table at a nice restaurant to celebrate his six month’s worth of work, but in truth Warren just wanted to go to the pub and write himself off.
It was dark when he got home and a cool southerly was stinging through the trees.
“How was it?” Leanne asked as he walked in.
“How was what?” he said.
“Your day, dopey! What did you think I meant?”
“Oh … how long have you got?” he said, heading for the fridge.
She intercepted him on the way. “All my life,” she said, sliding her arms around his neck. Their kiss was long and passionate. Warren was surprised how cathartic it was.
“I think the cops are gonna finger Aussie for that bloke’s murder,” he said as they drew apart.
“Fair Dinkum? But you don’t think he did it do you?” she said, raising one eyebrow.
“Nah. I think he’s been set up, just like in one of those cop shows.”
“So its Detective Dickson now, is it?” she giggled.
“No, I’m serious. I’m really worried about him and his mum. They own a great piece of coast down near Gray’s Head and I reckon somebody is trying to get it off them.”
Leanne suddenly pushed him away, holding him at arms length.
“Gray’s Head?” she said.
“Yeah, well just this side, it’s an awesome piece of land, it even has it own private surf break out the back.”
Leanne walked over to her briefcase and came back with a sheath of papers. “You’d better have a look at this then.”
Warren took the papers and rifled through them without really looking, “What are these?” he asked.
“It’s a development proposal……for an area of land near Grays head.”
Warren’s eyes widened. “Holy crap! You mean somebody’s already bought it?”
“No, it’s a proposal. Somebody has just set the ball rolling.”
“How long have you had this?”
“A week or so.”
“What’s the name on it?”
Leanne took the papers back off him and flicked through them. “Regan Developments.”
“Never heard of ’em,” Warren said. “Who’s the owner?”
“It doesn’t say, but we can Google the company.”