Equipment appeal

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

vb
Local

Equipment appeal

Post by vb » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:26 pm

I went to a pre-Xmas party last year and met a couple (Ken & Di) whose go it is to bring down to Sydney from Brewarrina a bunch of Aboriginal kids for a taste of the northern beaches. The kids' surf awarness is obviously pretty close to zero but according to Ken their enthusiasm is off the Richter.

Whatever, I got to thinking that a lot of pre-surf skill can be learnt in fresh/still water (either the Barwon/Darling or even the local pool) ... paddling, rudiments of duck diving, swivelling, power-ups etc and Ken and Di seemed pretty keen on my offer to donate a board or two (there's a softie in the garage that the graddkids have grown out of plus a 6'1'' of my son-in-law's that I'm sure has taken up permanent residence).

I told them that I'm a member of a forum whose members may be able to give some additional help ... either in equipment or maybe lending a hand for an hour or two in surf craft or safety tuition.

The kids will be billetted at South Narrabeen surf club from January 22-25 and Ken' Passmore's mobile is 0414 716 086.

If there is any sort of response re equipment I've got access to a trailer and a week off in late February to get the stuff there.

cheers VB

PS I'm actually rather fascinated with Brewarrina after Googling it up ... apparently there's a case for the stone fish traps in the river there being the oldest existing human contruction in the world (possibly dated 40,000 years).

Monty
Grommet

Re: Equipment appeal

Post by Monty » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:55 pm

I've got an old 6'6" that never gets used, it's a little brown now but no major dings.
I live at Southy so you can pick it up nearer the time or I can drop it off. Let me know which you would prefer.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:13 pm

vb wrote:I went to a pre-Xmas party last year and met a couple (Ken & Di) whose go it is to bring down to Sydney from Brewarrina a bunch of Aboriginal kids for a taste of the northern beaches. The kids' surf awarness is obviously pretty close to zero but according to Ken their enthusiasm is off the Richter.

Whatever, I got to thinking that a lot of pre-surf skill can be learnt in fresh/still water (either the Barwon/Darling or even the local pool) ... paddling, rudiments of duck diving, swivelling, power-ups etc and Ken and Di seemed pretty keen on my offer to donate a board or two (there's a softie in the garage that the graddkids have grown out of plus a 6'1'' of my son-in-law's that I'm sure has taken up permanent residence).

I told them that I'm a member of a forum whose members may be able to give some additional help ... either in equipment or maybe lending a hand for an hour or two in surf craft or safety tuition.

The kids will be billetted at South Narrabeen surf club from January 22-25 and Ken' Passmore's mobile is 0414 716 086.

If there is any sort of response re equipment I've got access to a trailer and a week off in late February to get the stuff there.

cheers VB

PS I'm actually rather fascinated with Brewarrina after Googling it up ... apparently there's a case for the stone fish traps in the river there being the oldest existing human contruction in the world (possibly dated 40,000 years).

^^ i got a couple short mals, 7'2 & 7'6 and i think a pink softie floating about somewhere.
pm vb
signatures, finally got it covered.

smallhouse
Grommet

Post by smallhouse » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:18 pm

good on you guys for donating, sorry no boards here .

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:27 pm

'd love help...but a state away

ffs....they need skateboards :idea:

thats the most pratical thing ...no?
c'mon crew :!:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Do they bodyboard too?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:09 am

pffffft, he never said they were gay

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 am

WANDERER wrote:pffffft, he never said they were gay
not quite a lol but definitely a :)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:05 am

Great idea. I remember Greg Light from Byron organised something like this maybe 25 years ago out at Alice before he tragically died in a bike accident out there.

I think I've got an old shooter or two that could fit the bill.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:12 am

WANDERER wrote:pffffft, he never said they were gay
Well im sure there not fat so i guess they'll have to do without your 13' malibus.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

RunamuckMalBoy

Post by RunamuckMalBoy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:37 pm

hey, would love to get involved... i've got a couple of thrusters that are just gathering dust, that i'll never use again...

i'll throw some wax and stuff in as well...

good to see this sort of thing happening, BUT on a side thought, if you asked most people on here, whether they would fund more learner surfer kooks in the line up at one of Sydneys best beaches, they would propbably punch you in the face... :shock: :lol: just a thought...

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:10 pm

^^^^^^^
RunamuckMalBoy wrote:if you asked most people on here, whether they would fund more learner surfer kooks in the line up at one of Sydneys best beaches, they would propbably punch you in the face... :shock: :lol: just a thought...
just in case anyone was expecting that person to be me ... it won't be ... :wink: :lol:

I have a couple of short baords and a soft mini mal, and live nearby so will call Ken directly ...
looks like a good cause for some kids so thanks for the heads up VB ... :idea:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:55 am

you might end up with a shiteload of stuff the way this is going....I am a fair way away but would gladly throw in an old board or 2....have to think that a few skateys could be a goer also as Fong suggested, maybe contact a few of the big companies too, they are making squillions so get em to put back something..... :roll:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:29 pm

pridmore wrote:maybe contact a few of the big companies too, they are making squillions so get em to put back something..... :roll:
I am sure if there's a >100% tax write off involved they'll be in. Otherwise I wouldn't bother asking them...