Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:34 am

caspian wrote:I'll take my attitude any day
well yes, of course you would. you're all attitude. where would you be without it.

btw do people actually say "bro" in the gas bay carpark? good fcuken god. maybe there should be a sign there saying "no saying 'bro' in a public amenity space"

caspian
regular

Post by caspian » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:37 am

Nick Carroll wrote:btw do people actually say "bro" in the gas bay carpark? good fcuken god. maybe there should be a sign there saying "no saying 'bro' in a public amenity space"
I have been guilty of using bro in a non ironic fashion before :oops: (although that was to friends, in my defense). No one's perfect I guess, not even me.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 am

Nick Carroll wrote:btw do people actually say "bro" in the gas bay carpark? good fcuken god. maybe there should be a sign there saying "no saying 'bro' in a public amenity space"
Can we add Bra, Brah and Bruddah to that sign please brah?

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:52 am

mical - you are obviously an example of a good dog owner of whom i have no issue. it sounds like you pick up any poo left by it. i applaud you. but i don't want to be included in any dog community. i'm not missing out. i just fucken hate them. i resent any notion of a dog being equal to me. it's a fucking animal. get the point.

caspian - you live away from the beach. you don't own a dog. good for you. i hope you enjoy the beach when you visit. i have HUGE issues with people taking thier dogs onto the part of avoca beach that is supposed dog free. there is two thirds of the beach to the north where they can roam as free as a daisy. one third of the beach to thew south of the sharktower is dog free. i.e, MOST of the beach dogs are allowed. i'm asking people to use it.

no problems. i don't want to prevent people from taking dogs to the beach, or whatever, just be courteous to your fellow man, who may or may not enjoy the company of dogs, by obeying council regulations. :D
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 am

matt... wrote:i resent any notion of a dog being equal to me. it's a **** animal. get the point.
We're all animals mate, some are just lower on the chain.

Quite a few humans rate lower than dogs too imho.

Each to their own :mrgreen:

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Event the liberal think tank the Centre for Independent Studies is in on the action - from their mailout:

Don’t drop in ... or jump off

It’s not only road cops and highway sign-writers who have been busy over Christmas. Despite the lure of the banana lounge and the soporific sounds of the Channel Nine commentary team, it’s been hard yakka for our tireless (selfless?) local lawmakers this summer.

Surfers might say their sport is about getting out in the wild, with the difference between catching a good wave and missing out governed only by Mother Nature herself.

But at Sydney’s famous Manly beach, surfing is now managed by local government as well, with the council erecting signs instructing beach-goers on surf etiquette, titled ‘The Surfer’s Code.’ The code instructs board-riders when it is appropriate to ‘drop in’ on another surfer’s wave, and advises they must ‘remember to communicate.’ Like, duh!

What’s next? Surf cops on paddle boards? Recruit ‘The Hoff’ to patrol the area? Waterproof tasers? Or as one online commenter suggested, set up a ticket machine á la your local butcher shop? ‘No. 24, your wave is ready.’

But if you’re outraged that local government should be instructing surfer dudes on the laws of the beach, you would apparently be in the minority. Local surf groups support the rules, and according to the Council’s General Manager, ‘regulating behaviour is expected of us by the general public.’

We can lament that such an (in?)famously rebellious subculture is so ready to accept government command and control, but perhaps not all is lost. ‘Matto’ from the Gold Coast says, ‘Don’t worry, we’ve had these signs up the coast for ages and nobody pays any attention.’

One group that is not so enamoured with Manly Council’s efforts to regulate their summer fun are the local kids who plunge from the notorious ‘jump rock’ every summer into the cool ocean below. Two years ago, the council installed a $26,000 safety fence; this year, they pledged to have rangers patrol the area, intent on catching thrill-seekers in the act.

But their efforts haven’t stopped the kids from jumping, and the fence has simply turned out to be a very expensive ratepayer funded diving platform. Frustrating the efforts of patrolling council rangers probably makes the whole exercise seem even more worthwhile.

So whether you’re back in the office or out in the sun, spare a thought for our tireless local councils who are unstintingly regulating our summer fun. If you’re still at the beach, enjoy. Just don’t drop in or jump off.

Jessica Brown is a Policy Analyst at the Centre.
the dreams that stuff was made of

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:03 pm

murrum wrote:So whether you’re back in the office or out in the sun, spare a thought for our tireless local councils who are unstintingly regulating our summer fun. If you’re still at the beach, enjoy. Just don’t drop in or jump off.
Actually going to type this for the first time in my life . . . LOL!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

matt... wrote: where they can roam as free as a daisy.
Got some strange daisies up there :shock: :shock: :shock:

Looks like the libs are having a major push to be the surfers party.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:15 am

The government surf policing disease is spreading to New Zealand.

:?

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:39 pm

It's an orchestrated campaign is what I'm saying. . . in NZ they dragged up a 2yr old incident to try and drum up the idea that there's a problem which requires policing :roll:

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Roy you could put in a tender to construct the signs out of timber ... that way the message wood become ingrained ... :roll:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:33 am

I'd rather make a set of wooden stocks for the punishment of tyrannical bureaucracts

K10
Grommet

Post by K10 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:36 pm

K10 wrote:I dont care about dropins anymore I just expect it to happen now but the sh1t I saw last weekend made me use one of these :evil: for the first time
Guess what...I got run over today whilst paddling out ...by a tourist taking off straight ahead on a closeout

Im' yelling OI OI OI ( no aussie aussie aussie before hand though) and hes looking side ways goin straight in the white wash ultra wide stance with the bum stickin out 6' board no control

I ditch my board and dive and I cop his on the head, im thinkin "please no blood " as i rub me melon and tell 'im to use his farken eyes next time

Have to use anutha one of these coz of those sunday goobers :evil:

(also i saw a dog off the leash and it came over and licked up some of the missuses meat pie droppings and it ate some ants..hahaha suck sh1t illegal dog) :mrgreen:

"Tell me why I don't like Sundays" (or Saturdays)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:00 pm

murrum wrote:Event the liberal think tank the Centre for Independent Studies is in on the action - from their mailout:

Don’t drop in ... or jump off

It’s not only road cops and highway sign-writers who have been busy over Christmas. Despite the lure of the banana lounge and the soporific sounds of the Channel Nine commentary team, it’s been hard yakka for our tireless (selfless?) local lawmakers this summer.

Surfers might say their sport is about getting out in the wild, with the difference between catching a good wave and missing out governed only by Mother Nature herself.

But at Sydney’s famous Manly beach, surfing is now managed by local government as well, with the council erecting signs instructing beach-goers on surf etiquette, titled ‘The Surfer’s Code.’ The code instructs board-riders when it is appropriate to ‘drop in’ on another surfer’s wave, and advises they must ‘remember to communicate.’ Like, duh!

What’s next? Surf cops on paddle boards? Recruit ‘The Hoff’ to patrol the area? Waterproof tasers? Or as one online commenter suggested, set up a ticket machine á la your local butcher shop? ‘No. 24, your wave is ready.’

But if you’re outraged that local government should be instructing surfer dudes on the laws of the beach, you would apparently be in the minority. Local surf groups support the rules, and according to the Council’s General Manager, ‘regulating behaviour is expected of us by the general public.’

We can lament that such an (in?)famously rebellious subculture is so ready to accept government command and control, but perhaps not all is lost. ‘Matto’ from the Gold Coast says, ‘Don’t worry, we’ve had these signs up the coast for ages and nobody pays any attention.’

One group that is not so enamoured with Manly Council’s efforts to regulate their summer fun are the local kids who plunge from the notorious ‘jump rock’ every summer into the cool ocean below. Two years ago, the council installed a $26,000 safety fence; this year, they pledged to have rangers patrol the area, intent on catching thrill-seekers in the act.

But their efforts haven’t stopped the kids from jumping, and the fence has simply turned out to be a very expensive ratepayer funded diving platform. Frustrating the efforts of patrolling council rangers probably makes the whole exercise seem even more worthwhile.

So whether you’re back in the office or out in the sun, spare a thought for our tireless local councils who are unstintingly regulating our summer fun. If you’re still at the beach, enjoy. Just don’t drop in or jump off.

Jessica Brown is a Policy Analyst at the Centre.
hey Jessica, I tell ya what: why don't you go fcuk yourself.

is it part of a right wing think tank's job to draw farcical conclusions from underreported, overblown circumstances?

You're all pretty god damn keen to "regulate" other countries' behaviours if your unstinting support for sensational acts of Middle Eastern violence is anything to go by.

It's fine to kill thousands of people you've never met to ensure Democracy, but when it comes to the local council erecting meaningless signs, well holy crap! let's take a moral stand!

Leave us out of your idiotic vision of the world thanks ma'am.

Meanwhile ... anyone get in a fight during this last couple of days' worth of OK lil ESE swell in Sydney? Let's hear how you're coping (other than poor old K10)

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Well said Nick.

It's ironical that in reality they don't even ensure democracy via their middle east carnage, in fact they just set up another slave state to the centralised tyrannical global government.

Anyone with safety worries should just get a lid, but let's not make it compulsory !

caspian
regular

Post by caspian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:08 pm

roy Stewart wrote:in fact they just set up another slave state to the centralised tyrannical global government..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You an Alex Jones fan, Roy? :lol:

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Who isn't ?

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 am

I dropped in on a guy today. We were sitting looking out to sea with him on my right when we both spot this wedge. old mate starts paddling accross in front of me looking, i assumed, for the right. No worries i say and angle accross behind him and make to go left. It was starting to peak a bit fast so i paddled accross the face at a pretty acute angle to get to the clear water. I stood up and set up for a reo when i hear this "oy" from behind. It was my fault, i didn't even look, i just assumed he was going the other way. No damage done and we didn't hit, he was pretty good about it too, but it just goes to show ya.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.