Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

grazza
Local

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Post by grazza » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 am

Apparently, we're going to get signs at Manly so that the production line of kooks churned out by Manly Surf School will behave themselves.http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/sign-of ... -m4ts.html

Leaving aside the issue of the sign jungle that is proliferating on our beachfront, and ignoring the uselessness of signs to control behaviour anyway, I personally think this will cause rather than diffuse conflicts. Since when were these the rules?

"It's my wave, I've been waiting the longest" might work in outer island Indo, but Manly? No way. And furthest out? SUPs rule, OK? (Should be farthest out, BTW)

Chillin
charger

Re: Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Post by Chillin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 am

Signs are a complete was of time, there could be fifty rubbish bins at the beach with fluro flashing signs on em and smokers will still chuck their butts in the sand.

"And the sign said anybody caught tresspassin, would be shot on sight"
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:26 am

We've had them at Alex for a while now. Not too sure if it makes a difference to be honest. I would rather have them or not, they aren't an eyesore and if it gives one kook a clue it's better than not having them at all.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:59 am

got nothing against people learning to surf via Manly Surf School, HOWEVER, these school holidays there have been at least 3 classses in the water at once, PLUS additional one on one lessons and honestly, they have taken over the break at mid steyne from pipe to pipe with over 50 learners, leaving SFA for free surfers. outrageous !

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Maybe money would be better spent in legislating and enforcing surfers to wear legropes.

http://www.tracksmag.com.au/index.php/2 ... n-Bay.html
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 pm

People have forgotten how to behave.
They have forgotten how to show respect.
Its starts at grass roots level.
We have psychologists and psychiatrists out there telling the world that our children should not be reprimanded if they do the wrong thing.
Now they are saying that a ‘naughty corner’ is bad for kids self esteem.

I fear a future where children take their parents to court if they get disciplined.

F-ck I got beaten like a savage by my dad and look at me now. Full of f-ckin’ respect.
I got so much respect it makes me f-cking sick.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Whoever Implemented that had obviously...

....while the decision making was happening.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:22 pm

aaronn wrote:got nothing against people learning to surf via Manly Surf School, HOWEVER, these school holidays there have been at least 3 classses in the water at once, PLUS additional one on one lessons and honestly, they have taken over the break at mid steyne from pipe to pipe with over 50 learners, leaving SFA for free surfers. outrageous !
that may be annoying but for one :arrow: it is Manly where at this time of year it wouldn't matter if it was surf school or regular surfers , it's insanely crowded anyway ... also I would expect the school pay for the right to use the area so are probably just taking the opportunity during the silly season to maximise their income ...

and not to forget that if it wasn't for surf schools I may never get to my feet ... one day , I hope ... :roll:

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:59 pm

I wander if these signs are all part of the fed funded upgrade of the manly beachfront.
Have you seen how many shiny new tables there are between Queensie and NS?
I hope they dont put up alcohol free zone signs because those tables are custom built for drinking out of brown paper bags and talking crap.

I blame the signs for the bad karma of last nights swell evaporating this morning. After surfing till 8.30pm last night and thinking the swell would still be good at dawn, got back down beach at 5.15am - total dribble.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:08 pm

barstardos wrote:I blame the signs for the bad karma of last nights swell evaporating this morning. After surfing till 8.30pm last night and thinking the swell would still be good at dawn, got back down beach at 5.15am - total dribble.
Same here Bastardos, was out from 7 till 8.30 last night and had a ball! Was looking forward to this morning and it was fat, small and had no push on the high tide. Great sunrise though 8)

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm

barstardos wrote:I wander if these signs are all part of the fed funded upgrade of the manly beachfront.
No, they're the result of work by North Steyne surfer and prospective Manly councillor Neil Ohlback (of Neil's Guitars and Amps, if you know the local scene). Neil's a lovely guy, all well intentioned and all, and he's been trying to set up a Local surfers action group or somesuch. This the output, apparently.

He talked to me about it last year, and mentioned the sign idea. My reply was that signs were a) ugly and b) a waste of time, and maybe a better project would be the restoration of the tidal flow from Manly lagoon, where the construction without consultation or study of the big new outfall a few years back has pretty much destroyed the staple and much missed queenie corner right. But signs it is.

My point was that these signs are wrong in fact - those are not the rules as I understand them. Maybe that's I get into so many arguments...

BTW, did anyone notice the signs that have been erected all over the rock platform leading round to the tunnel on Queenie headland, just below the pink QBC sign? Apparently there was a minor rockfall, so we need lots of signs. Ugly as sin - go figure.

Grab-Rail Cutties

Post by Grab-Rail Cutties » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Whoever Implemented that had obviously...

....while the decision making was happening.

<Mild Rofl

still here
charger

Post by still here » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Signs are ugly and stupid bureaucratic bullshit . Enough rules , laws and policing in this nanny state .

As a kid , no-one gave me a wave because I'd been waiting longest or sitting out furthest .
And there's no way after paying my dues and giving respect where it's due over the years , that I'm going to let one go to some Sao Paulo student or British Backpacker who's been to surfschool yesterday and is sitting in the shipping lanes "waiting in turn" as per some ugly taxpayer funded sign.
In any case , signs and advice do not work without some incentive or disincentive .

Jungle rule works for the most part , but could be improved by council installing a few "grom poles" for offending tourists to be stripped and tied up to , egged , pissed on etc. . I know it's outdated but it's worked in the past ...
There's not a surfer I know that wouldn'y instruct someone they're teaching to abide by the unwritten rules of respect and courtesy and to avoid dangerous bailing etc . I'm sure the surf schools do so too so if some newbie doesn't abide ..... then punish them on the pole !!
PS : Perhaps the surf schools should fund the new grom poles (and supply eggs ) as a reminder for how they're significantly and self servingly changing the lineup today and into the future ?

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

It might get better results if it was in Portugese...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 pm

grazza wrote: Leaving aside the issue of the sign jungle that is proliferating on our beachfront, and ignoring the uselessness of signs to control behaviour anyway, I personally think this will cause rather than diffuse conflicts. Since when were these the rules?)
Since the sixties grazza.
I don't blame you for not being familiar with them these days though.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

K10
Grommet

Post by K10 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Signs do nothing but justify a prosecution(not that that happens)

People in general seem to just do wotever-the-fcuk they like at the beach regardless of signs

Last weekend was a classic non-sign-reading kook weekend

Swimmers (or standers coz they wern't swimin') from DY to LR, in front of the break (every break), standing in waist deep water , wondering why all these surfer types are going straight for them.
You would have less chance of hitting a swimmer in the flags

Smokers, walking up and down the beach smokin... like up at no man's(where do the buts end up?)
Coffee drinkers, like WTF is that about, 35deg and you want to drink fecking coffee...at the beach?
Drinkers...again in 35deg at 1200 noon ...warm Bourbon with sand..yummy

3 Prime sources on litter on the beach

Dog owners, like fark off to a park or somewhere where you expect to find dogs...and dog sh1t
BMW X5's parked at 45deg angles, these cnuts cant drive? FFS, you must be loaded... have a parking lesson

I dont care about dropins anymore I just expect it to happen now but the sh1t I saw last weekend made me use one of these :evil: for the first time

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:23 pm

the protected area sign where i camp, nothing's allowed. whaddaya say to a beer gutted young dad beach fishing with a toddler, did ya read the sign.

Or for the same area, you're getting some hell tip on prawns. Uhuh

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:13 pm

you don't like signs?
come up to the sunny central coast.
signs usually are covered with surf stickers, removed, are good rock targets, ignored (by both residents & council inspectors), or end up in the lake after a busy weekend, along with mattresses and lounges.
if those surf etiquette signs are installed here, i'm sorry to say they won't last long.
the same young 'uns that think it's funny to set fire to all the otto bins in the sharktower carpark, will make good use of those signs.
the council inspectors are lazy fucks up here who don't want to offend their neighbours by enforcing any regulations, so the place is fucked.
you can walk your dog off the leash & let it poo on the beach in a "dog prohibited" area. even the local restaurant owner does it daily & when approached he will tell you to mind your own fucking business. nothing like respect for your area.
as for manly, (de ja vu from another thread)
tha brazilians will ignore it, the irish will stick their finger up at it, the english will whinge about it as their glassing their mates at the steyne hotel, the northern europeans won't be able to read it, the locals will be above it, but at least it will be a courteous, if technically incorrect, gesture towards humanity (but only on the surface)
have fun guys!
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...