5 Year Anniversry

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: 5 Year Anniversry

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:13 am

Your first post wasn't till Jan 23rd and is reproduced below.
Seems you were a bit shy in those days. Joined on 8th Jan but waited until 23rd before posting.
Re: swellnet

mad wrote:Looks like Coastalwatch has picked him up as well, little wonder.

Don't confuse Ben Horvarth and his crappy coastalwatch reports with Ben Matson of Swellnet.

by salty
Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:42 am

Forum: Weather & surf forecasting
Topic: www.swellnet.com.au?
Replies: 48

Views: 8306

You can see all your posts by clicking on your user name beside any of your posts and selecting "Search Users Posts" in your viewing profile.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 am

Here's an interesting one. It's Larry's reply to one of savesealrocks(buffbrad's) first posts:

by Larry » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:32 am

Will you unmannerly f.ckers kindly retire from this sober thread

- and YOU sealrocks, appear to be suffering some major erotic delusions here .. there is a consistant train of thought in your writings that demands immediate self-appraisal .. I suspect you to be a self abuser

- and you BA ought to know that when they built the shousers at N'Av they built the bloody thing in the MIDDLE of the carpark !!

No go away will yez, it's time for me napLarry
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:40 am

I was off to a great start -

Deesee » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:52 am

I've been surfing around Cronulla for 15 years, and this trouble is nothing new.
New Years Eve 2000 - 8 ethnic slur goes here walking through Shelly beach putting the shoulder into a few people, walking through family picnic set, yelling if anyone has a problem come sort it out with them, until they picked the wrong group of guys (Aussies from the St George district who have good reputations in the local boxing / rugby league community), and all hell broke lose with everyone deciding enough was enough. When the cops and ambo's actually decided to clean up the mess (they arrived earlier but decided to let natural justice run its corse), 5 ethnic slur goes here were left KO'd to a pulp and the other 3 legged it so quick out of there no one saw 'em. 1 aussie had to get his head stitched up from copping a baton across the back of his head - yes, once confronted, the ethnic slur goes here all pulled weopans out. After that their cars were written off in the car park by a mob of locals. The cops did not arrest anyone at the scene that night.
Best scene of the night - a 45 year old dad in blue singlet and stubbies throwing an unopened VB stubby into the ethnic slur goes here and running at them with a cricket bat while his wife and kids were yelling at him to come back.
Another good one was the Renown Vs Brighton grand final at Jubilee in 2004, but that's a different story.
If it feels good, do it.

Little D
regular

Post by Little D » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:42 am

Im not quite at the 5yr mark yet (April 2010)
I was interested to discover that my most frequented thread was the Sandra Sully one with the hot newsreaders...
Im on my way there now...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:54 am

Here's my first one, from April 2005... I've really gotta quit this soon.

---

OK, look I'll get 'em going, the most scared I've personally been in the surf was at Teahupo'o in Tahiti in 1999, just on a trip over there. Teahupo'o's becoming a bit of a cliche in the mags lately -- like a cheap fear thrill -- but nothing prepares you for the place at full throttle. On this particular day my friends and I got there around 9 am, it looked around four to six feet and super perfect, though even at that size you can FEEL the solidity of the reef and the thickness of all that deep water outside. So we're surfing away, I catch a wave and ride it through, flick off a bit deep, turn around and see a twelve foot wall of water stand directly up out of the ocean and begin to suck and barrel its way toward me. Absolute maximum Teahupo'o out of nowhere. I've never, before or since, seen such a thing from the water, and I only looked at it for a second, because it seemed to me that if I kept looking at it, I wouldn't be able to move -- the thing would just keep me frozen there, like a snake with a rabbit, before swatting me out of existence. So I put my head down, averted my eyes, and started paddling like a madman for the channel. Ten or twelve seconds passed that way, with not a thought except to get out of the way of death. As the wave got to me I went off the side of my board and dived toward deep water; the wave gave a mild tug on the legrope and broke it without me feeling another thing.

It wasn't apprehension or panic or anything. Just pure honest scared shitless, and I'm sorry to say I sort of enjoyed it.

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:17 am

Nick, have you surfed Chopes much? How about anyone else here? Your thoughts on the place? Gnarly drop? Slams?

Like you wrote, it has a reputation all on its own - another break that non surfing public seem to know about (eg. Pipeline). I've watched some POV footage from the break and it looks like a rush, but quite honestly, i'd never contemplate surfing the place (unless it was alot smaller and friendlier).
If it feels good, do it.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am

From Tue May 09, 2006 8:55 am on the VIC surfers sign in here thread

Hello everyone.

First time posting and thought this was as good a thread as any.

I'm based on the Mornington Peninsula. Regular breaks are usually Flinders and Pt Leo when the swell is good (which it has been lately)

Used to surf all the time at Gunnamatta and Rye but the pollution and sore throats and ears that follow it got to me in the end.

And I've never seen the bay break with decent waves. Ever!

Pretty standard intro post, I think my first barney was with some lid-tard who went by the name of snakes
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:44 am

my first post was nearly 6 years ago on the 10th feb 2004. giving some fashion advice.
by the way, where's stuey?

crystal cylinders is making it's way back into K-mart........
now there's a good value board short!
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:12 pm

First post was on the 30th May

My first board was a McTavish JB performance board made in conjuction with Beach Beat, it was ok, but was only really good for the bigger stuff. In the small waves it would be very unstable and quite hard to properly nose ride.

I got a custom 9'4" Classic Malibu Jai Lee noserider and it shits all over the mctavish

From this thread http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 953#p20953

Still have the the JB. The Jai Lee is long gone after being snapped out at at the bluff.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Here's my first ... no surprise that I came in complaining about the arrogance of people and how their behaviour effects others ... at least I can say that quest of mine has not altered over the years :arrow: I will always point out peoples unjust treatment of fellow human beings ... I found that landscaping tips gave me something to do in between complaining :idea:
so there's the key :idea: keep me focussed on landscapes and I wont start sh!tfights ... :idea: :wink:

it is interesting to note that the thread in question started by reefer was at a time when there were a lot of tow in crews practising on small beach breaks , but that has not really occured over the last few years ... it makes me wonder if the tide of opinions on RS actually contributes to changes or if it is as simple as something like the econimic crisis meaning less people can afford jet ski's ... :?

by surfin39 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:48 am

After 30+ years of surfing a lot has changed, surf ski's came and went, boogie boards co-existing with surfers, surf schools!, and now the mal revolution. All sports evolve, and tow in surfing has it's valid part to play in surfings evolution. The surf will not always be big and like anyone these guys need to practice for when it does get big. However, practising at Long Reef or Narrabeen beach breaks etc. is not only causing angst amongst the paddling surfers it is a highly dangerous activity, and I cannot understand that the laws for jet ski riding seem not to apply when towing in. I now go surfing with my daughters when it's small, which is hard enough with all the mals but these guys towing into 2-3 foot beach breaks are just making a mess of things. If the practising tow in surfers are not going to consider that they are making a mess for other people just trying to have a normal everyday surf, they might consider the dangerous position they are putting other surfers in, and that there may be inexperienced kids in the water.

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 8&start=18

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:52 pm

^^^^geez, that sounded pretty tame, SURFN" - even polite-sounding!
you must have become more cynical in more recent times, or maybe you're more polite to tow-ins than boogers. but your focus has remained on the DY - longy stretch!! ha ha.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:59 pm

My first post was conceived after taking some panadeine forte washed down with a large vodka chaser ... to mask the pain of the recent surgery I'd had on my back to remove a rather nasty skin cancer ... anyway some young punk had decided it was his chosen task in life to put shit on Big Simon and his foam mowing prowess ... so I wrote some medication induced doggerel in response ... dip-shit returned the favour in kind ... and I wrote some more doggerel in reply ... not much has changed ... still got our fair share of dip-shits and doggerel.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:30 pm

christ.. i just discovered my first post was almost 6 years ago on the 23rd jan, 2004.... i remember spending way too much time on these forums talking shit with all the old regulars - was a great procrastination tool thats for sure. since digging up my first post iv had a look through a bunch of my earlier posts, and theyr all pretty terrible... mind you, i wasnt even 15 when i first registered and started posting

from the thread - "Your favourite Northern Beaches break"

"hey everyone...just registered for realsurf...i know crosswaves is a very inconsistent spot which only works about 5 days of the year but on a big swell or even on a 3'-5' swell it has always produced the goods...im voting for crosswaves."

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:45 pm

just found this one from way back.. the race to 1000 posts - a lotta rubbish one liner posts but some gold in there too, especially the weekly wrap-ups from nubby. ahhh... no wonder i got horrible grades in year 10

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... f=37&t=860

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 pm

pretty sure my first couple got deleted :lol:

hi mods :lol:

i've actually mellowed :shock:

hmmmmm.... :twisted:

p.s oh, and happy Anniversry salts

as far as i'm concerned...this will allways be your high point :arrow:

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... f=12&t=513

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hook, line and sinker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:30 pm

This threads a beauty, changed the RS landscape forever...
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... f=4&t=2863

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:29 am

Did you dig that thread up whislt preparing ya pitch wands.

Was a different place to hang out back then and that thread changed this place dramatically. It's sad that the ASn site no longer exists as the link Larry posted would give another insight into the issues first raised by Scott (Ctt)
anyway, water over the bank and those banks have long since become guttered and been replaced one hundred times or more. Still, those early days of this place helped to form some friendships that have stood the test of time and will continue to long into the future. Thanks don, for that I'll always be greatful

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am

Hey Wands...nice to meet you at the Xmas drinks......for the historically ignorant why did that thread change the landscape forever?

Seems like a pretty standard bitch session about surf reporting.
Just for the record and cause I'm in that game myself my personal ethics are that it is not necessary to name spots and in fact it is folly to do so.
Surf size, swell direction, wind and tide info......let 'em join the dots.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes