you want me to pay for what?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

Re: you want me to pay for what?

Post by marcus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:32 pm

don't know where i stand on this either, yet.
would like to give something back to don for thanks for keeping the forums up and running. and i am a great believer in paying back favours to people who do something nice for others, i just cant put my finger on how much i owe.
i guess somewhere between a beer and a case.
It would be nice to see realsurf "spruced up" without so many glitches, maybe let more people do surf reports and add pics to the main page.
i think realsurf need some tech guru volunteers to give don a hand perhaps.

I have got to say i think surfline is an absolute rip off, they show a web cam of pipe or waimea for a microsecond then ask you to subscribe, as well as calling cape solander by another name :evil: they are not getting any of my money.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:49 pm

well....if we got pay...let be fair....realsurf is a surf report site first and foremost

so how much are people who bother with the front page being ask pay :?:

as the forums are our own creation and we don't rely on others for it's content

we shouldn't have pay half wat report users do :idea:

i find it very hard support a forum with endless global thailand surf ads as well as quite honestly...the worst up grade un user friendly parracloured enhacenent :|

p.s how much for a realsurf t-shirt...$90 :shock:

don..i tell ya...your dreamin
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:53 pm

oh...and

the whole "model"of a pay website is wrong

it is not a publication...but many ( cause there idiots) try and push them as such

i.e pay for content and ad

the web is much more a radio type model....where no one pays jack and u need attract a audience too capture ad revnue

it's pretty fu.ckin simple if u think about

murdoch sent all u net nerds up the wrong get rich quick tree

( lessen....never believe news ltd :x )
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:41 am

realsurf is an online carpark for surfers! one of the busiest and the best! there's a spot with a view of the waist-high closeouts out front for everyone here at realsurf!

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:57 am

I've been viewing the site daily since I got my first 'real' job over a decde ago and contributed a couple of times way back before the forums and advertising on the site ('black screen of death' days). I noticed the imploring finished about the same time as the ads appeared and figured that was that.

Not so sure now. Is RS about covering costs, which surely it would do given the advertising, or turning a profit?

Much respect to Don and what he's created but, as Iggy says, it's probably time to try and define exactly what RS is and/or wants to be. I think it's pretty clear this is now more a forum than report site, in which case the posters create the content which in turn creates more viewings and posts, and therefore ad revenue. So should the people who read and post also pay? :?
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:46 am

I'd like a trip to Indo, so I'm going to ask for donations and the more donations I get the more I'll post on these forums. How's that sound? I'll paddle like a shortboard and turn like a longboard....

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:52 am

I think most people that have not been involved in web publishing would get a shock to discover web advertising is not quite the cash cow they might have dreamt. :shock:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Question.

If I've put my hand in my pocket to help pay for the upkeep of RS, should it not remove all of this?
RS.JPG
Bloody annoying.

Plus I'd have thought donating would remove all the ads?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Remember the "black screen of death"
For the duration of the funds drive ("Friends of Realsurf") whenever you got on the site you had a black screen which, throughout the month stayed in place for a progressively longer period. When you paid some money you got a "login code" which bypassed it.
But you just had to wait (up to a minute IIRC towards the end) and the site came up anyway.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 pm

And Don, although I have never met you personally, from reading your posts and seeing all the work you do posting weather and swell info you do seem like a great bloke.

There's no offence intended in my post above, it's just a general question as I thought that's what would happen.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 am

i'm firming on paying, i don't know why, just a vibe, $24 doesn't seem a lot ask for a year, and he has asked nicly

his a wat if :arrow:

say don goes broke...we would...mostly, likly, go and talk on another forum for free 8)

but it wouldn't be " our " forum now would it :?

and who...the fu.ck...would want see don go broke just because his set this site up for all to enjoy :idea:

i don't know....i dislike the major advertiser here....so maybe i need put my hand up

p.s i really do hate the colour scheme thu....the new upgraded forums...mannnnn :|

realsurf used be so much better

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:40 am

Is there not a way to remove advertising & donation requests for those that donate for say 1, 3, 6 or 12 months depending on the donation?

As it is, I've taken RS out for a show and still see every ad and every donation request when I log on.

Happy to help pay to run things but I would like to see some additional benefit for those that give.

Don't 'user pay' sites have that functionality?

Even if you changed me from a 'Local' to 'Realsurf Supporter' or 'FORS' . . something, anything! :wink:

First preference would be to kill all the ads for donators though.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:19 am

i have no problem with donations. i'd be happy to pay for a year's subscrition to the web forums. they have been valuable to me.
like, i read up on Platty's tips on putting a spray on top of the board. i now have 3 boards in my quiver which i have sprayed myself.
a dollar a week seems fair to me. it's not much when you think about it.
every where you go, a bit of loose change gets handed out as "gold coin" donations - clubbies, daffodil day, kid's cancer research, etc.
i'm up for it.
so should you, you tight arses.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 am

Why does everyone need to know what everyone else thinks ?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 am

I think they call it a forum Roy, especially the General surf discussion section.

Not too sure though :roll:

nosedrip

Post by nosedrip » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:02 am

roy Stewart wrote:Why does everyone need to know what everyone else thinks ?

Well - thanks for letting us know what is on your mind Roy - I was wondering what you were thinking about all this.....

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:14 am

Not me. STFU Roy.
:mrgreen:
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:58 am

Looks like I'm not getting a response to my queries from the powers that be.

Unfortunately I think I've made my first . . and last contribution to the upkeep of RS :(

Nothing personal Don, really.