Local bullies

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

FishStick
Local

Re: Local bullies

Post by FishStick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:37 am

The problem with punching a 'local' or anyone you don't know, is that you don't know how many of his mates are in the water at that point, or if you can make it back to your car without getting jumped on by them...... If you surf the area quite often it could also mean bad vibes every time you go there.
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:46 am

FishStick wrote:If you surf the area quite often it could also mean bad vibes every time you go there.
Not that I'm advocating violence as a means to solve anything but . . . .

It could also mean that nobody every fcuks with you at that spot again.

You've done nothing but show everyone respect and been a polite little blow in everytime you've surfed there, who has now also shown that you won't take any shit and can back yourself.

But everyone handles things differently, I usually just laugh them off loud enough for them to hear and go about my surf. If they continue and show any intent to physically harm me, they're going to get fcuked up.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:14 am

you'd think so. but i was driving past centential park when i saw a french backpacker who was snaking everyone at tama.
Cpt.Caveman wrote:I wonder if we're starting to see the big city phenomenom of road rage in the surf. The fact that there are so many people in the city, and that when you're driving down the street you're very unlikely to see the same driver twice, therefore it becomes a lot easier to act like a dick and be all pushy and rude. Theres a much lower chance of consequences, like they're not going to stop selling you hardware at the only hardware shop in town until you smarten up.

Maybe its becoming similar in the surf? If you're rude to one person, then its very unlikely that you'll ever see them or anyone they're related to again? Mostly due to the revolving door that is the Sydney line-up?
Last edited by purple pyramids on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:15 am

violence solves nothing

it's a sad day when anyone gets punched for trying to go out and enjoy a peaceful surf...

i've never been in a violent situation, never had to defend myself out in the surf. it's pointless, it doesn't make you any more respected or tougher, it just shows you can't control your temper.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 pm

matt... wrote:violence solves nothing

it's a sad day when anyone gets punched for trying to go out and enjoy a peaceful surf...

i've never been in a violent situation, never had to defend myself out in the surf. it's pointless, it doesn't make you any more respected or tougher, it just shows you can't control your temper.
You've never surfed with Brazzos I take it.

Read what I said in my last post again Matt, I'll only resort to violence to defend myself.

You're making out like those of us in this thread who would get physical to defend themselves are a bunch of wannabe hard men with low self esteem who are the ones looking for a fight and causing aggro in the water.

No matter where I am, whether at home or away, I always treat people with respect, smile and make sure I fit in with the current vibe whenever I paddle out.

That being said, fcuk with me and I'll fcuk with you right back . . and you'd better be prepared to go the distance because if you've pushed me to the point of violence I'm already past being concerned for your health.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:54 pm

when someone drops in on me, i launch myself straight at them -- it's sort of instinctual. no concern for my safety or my board. just like if someone runs by me with a ball i try and tackle them - very embarrassing. recently, a guy broke into a car near me and started running away with a bag. i automatically gave chase and tackled him. no thought to it. i feel like a sheep dog.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:37 pm

longyfreshy wrote:Your right he doesn't know I came on here I am just concerned like any parent who happens to be a surfer, when he was 17 he was in the city and was bashed by 7 guys who had him on the ground and kicking him so sorry if I am worrying unintentionally.
Understandable but unjustified concern: the chance of an unprovoked gang attack in or near the surf is close to nil. Even at Maroubra! A mate of mine surfs there regularly and has never experienced any surf aggro (no, he's not a Bra Boy).

I forgot to ask about what part of Mona Vale it was. If it was The Basin then the takeoff area is tiny and tempers can easily fray when it's crowded (more than 5 people out) with people getting in each other's way. Avoid it, and also the front of the clubhouse area - just walk 150+ metres down the beach. The peaks aren't as good but you'll have your own space.

Yes, the Royal Antler with Midnight OIl playing. Those were the days! A much higher chance of getting in a fight there and then.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:03 pm

mical wrote:
matt... wrote:violence solves nothing

You've never surfed with Brazzos I take it.

Read what I said in my last post again Matt, I'll only resort to violence to defend myself.

You're making out like those of us in this thread who would get physical to defend themselves are a bunch of wannabe hard men with low self esteem who are the ones looking for a fight and causing aggro in the water.

No matter where I am, whether at home or away, I always treat people with respect, smile and make sure I fit in with the current vibe whenever I paddle out.

That being said, fcuk with me and I'll fcuk with you right back . . and you'd better be prepared to go the distance because if you've pushed me to the point of violence I'm already past being concerned for your health.
chill mical - wasn't having a go at you personally, nor am i being judgemental of anyone else in this forum, just having my say. I'm just saying the aggro approach is not MY go. you do whatever you want, mate. you make your choices. but, i'm not choosing violence - i see no good in it or come from it.
but i must say you are getting worked up quite easily - and this is only an internet forum, mate - not the world championship!

I've surfed with Brazzos! Ha, I lived at fairlight for 3 years in the early '90's and have surfed down that way a couple of times a year visiting family. i know how frustrating it can be when a whole mob of them descend on a break, and none of 'em surf that crash hot anyway.
They require a special crowd control tactic while not being violent, is not very polite either.
i'll tolerate a drop-in or two from a brazzo - and i know they don't give a f**k.
but after no. 3 it's fade time and some fairly creative paddling techniques...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

mswebersd

Post by mswebersd » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:15 pm

Last edited by mswebersd on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Is this issue resolved yet?
Fark! How many times can peeps re-hash the same old speil and debate the merits of there take on it...jeez

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Give us another bandwagon to jump on Ranga and this all goes away :!: :idea:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Make him get back in the water ASAP. Sure NN and DY point when its pumping are no go zones unless you are the crew, shit hot or have an invite - which is fair but really he encounted an anomolie i reckon. I lived 10 mins from Manly when I grew up and in the early 80's got hassled once or twice - its changed for sure for the better, I think Barton Lynch in Bomborra was saying that coming from Mosman he was hassled until they found out what a awesome sufer he was, he still thought they were a bunch or wankers although they were now kissing his arse.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Ringmaster wrote:I'll try and think of something.............ANYTHING.....to help you keep your post count rising at an exponential rate.
Thanks for the thoughtfulness, my post count isn't important to me but hey, I'll indulge you . . it's Christmas :D

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I wonder if we're starting to see the big city phenomenom of road rage in the surf. The fact that there are so many people in the city, and that when you're driving down the street you're very unlikely to see the same driver twice, therefore it becomes a lot easier to act like a dick and be all pushy and rude. Theres a much lower chance of consequences, like they're not going to stop selling you hardware at the only hardware shop in town until you smarten up.

Maybe its becoming similar in the surf? If you're rude to one person, then its very unlikely that you'll ever see them or anyone they're related to again? Mostly due to the revolving door that is the Sydney line-up?
[/quote]

Decided I'd catch the bus to the shops today instead of driving. Bus comes and two cars are stopped in front of it at the lights so it can't pull in to pick me up. Trouble is the first car has stopped one and a half car lengths from the next car :? :? I go ooohie how about moving up. Reluctantly she does but the next car which is also driven by a female driver coincidentally just sits there with a determined look on her face refusing to budge. The bus driver just shook his head and let me on.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 am

gibber wrote:How many times can peeps re-hash the same old speil and debate the merits of there take on it...
well ... probably about 12 times since I've been on here ... but don't blame the "peeps" ... remember that while there are f'wits paddling around in the surf, there will always be something to discuss ... besides this would be a pretty empty forum if topics weren't re-hashed ... :idea:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 am

Perhaps we need to create a list that is auto emailed to all new members with their confirmation email, stipulating every topic that has already been covered in bullet points.

It could advise that if you start, comment or view any thread on these topics, you will be publicly ridiculed . . and then BANNED forevermore :?: :arrow: :idea:

Or people could just lighten the fcuk up and not read threads they're not interested in. :mrgreen:

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:01 pm

mical wrote:Or people could just lighten the fcuk up and not read threads they're not interested in. :mrgreen:
Indeed. Some fcken pansies on this site.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:06 pm

for starters mical ... lighten the f'k up will you ... :!: :idea:

the list idea sounds like such a great idea .... or what we could do is suggest that all new people read through the list of forum topics, which is conveniently found in list format, in the forums ... :idea:

for example ... :arrow: if you select the general surf discussion forum there is a list of all the topics ever discussed ... :!:

I think your idea is great but just wanting to put forward another option for seeing what has been previously discussed ... :idea:

:lol: