BEDE DURBIDGE AND A LACK OF SPONSOR

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

SPAKKFILLA

BEDE DURBIDGE AND A LACK OF SPONSOR

Post by SPAKKFILLA » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Can anyone PLEASE explain to me why Bede Durbidge still does not have a major sponsor?? I understand he was dropped by Billabong a few years back for "not being the right fit" (apparently), but give me a break, the guy is blitzing through the CT contests (has finished 5TH overall I think) is a great powerful surfer to watch with a solid bag of tricks, keeps making finals, has a mug that is not a million miles away from your Aussie boy next door, has a great rapour with the media, the other guys love him, what the fcuk is going on here?? Maybe someone better understands the machinations of the sponsorship process, but I was flat out shocked to hear that he still had no major backer! Please explain!

GFM
Grommet

Re: BEDE DURBIDGE AND A LACK OF SPONSOR

Post by GFM » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:03 pm

He finished 3rd overall this year with 6468 points I believe... I don't get it either, unless he's a total cock which I don't think he is. I don't get it why he's not signed up

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:09 pm

He's not pretty enough.

Sad but true.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Could it be partly due to there being too many higher profile surfers already on the major companies rosters . . . and GFC :arrow: :?:

Quik: Kelly, Dane et al
Rip: Mick, Steph et al
Bong: Parko, Andy et al

Then there's the other brands like O'Neill, Hurley etc. They all seem to have pretty full rosters of high profile surfers too.

Plus, they're all investing in up and comers. JJF, Clay Marzo, Julian etc etc.

It's a cryin' shame that Bede doesn't have a sponsor though.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Hatchman wrote:He's not pretty enough.

Sad but true.
You can say that again.

GFM
Grommet

Post by GFM » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:19 pm

You both might be right. A lot of the majors have high profile ppl.. plus there's some sponsored riders with faces like smashed crabs. Perhaps it is just up-n-comers

GFM
Grommet

Post by GFM » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Just on this, it was posted on his Facebook page a few hours ago that he's now sponsored by Fox clothing and eyewear

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Great news :D

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:03 pm

i think its more do to with his style, some time it just aint pretty. He's a great surfer though.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:29 pm

The major surf labels can be complete dickheads at times (read mostly always) ... its a boys club ... nepotistic to say the least ... why Bede couldn't get a major sponsorship from one of the big players in the last couple of years is a complete blight on what is a so called professional sport ... he finished second last year ... I think he finished third the year before and has finished third again this year ... looking at the consistency of his results at all contests proves that he is undoubtably one of the best performers on tour ... thats a no brainer ... and the no brainers at the big three have proven once again that its jobs for the boys ... wankers.
Layne had to look elsewhere for sponsorship even though she was a multiple world champ ... and bankable ... outspoken yes ... high profile and successful undoubtably ... the major labels have a strangle hold on not only the tour but on the whole surf industry ... advertising etc ... money doesn't talk it swears ... these retired hippies have unfortunately lost their conscience and good judgement ... it is apparent that they have cast away their high ideals in exchange for high profit margins regardless of cost ... never trust a hippy ... especially a profit driven one.
Happy Christmas QuickRipaBong and Co.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeah, it is unfair, and congratulations to Bede on another year of great results.

But sponsorships exist to sell boardshorts (and t-shirts and shoes and watches and wetties). How many surfers do the majors need to feature in their advertisements to sell their products. Maybe 2 or 3 WCT surfers, a soul surfer or two, a longboarder or two, a couple of chicks, maybe a few old heroes a la Curran or Carroll and you're done. Full roster. 44 guys on the WCT and maybe a need for 10 0r 15 sponsored surfers.

That's one reason why the tour desperately needs sponsorships from ourside surfing.

And yeah, Layne is a great role model. Rather than waiting for the surf industry to come to her she rustled up sponsorships for herself, same as PT and Rabbit and Shaun Tomson did when pro-surfing was starting out. Good on her.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:54 am

Just confirmed with L***, Bede was in discussions with Fox while in Hawaii, Bede now is sponsored by Fox and takes over as their number 1 man...apparently not alot of dollars but from what I was told, he needed something soon, which is a real shame considering his ability and position in world surfing ratings....

SPAKKFILLA

Post by SPAKKFILLA » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:07 am

Thats excellent news for Bede..I heard Nike were wanting to expand into the surf market. What a terrifying concept but it maybe just what the industry needs in terms of a traditional non surf brand throwing some big bucks into the ring and loosening up the stranglehold of the Big 3.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:10 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:13 am

Nike 6.0

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:14 am

Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:18 am

Nike as a stand alone brand wont do well in the surfing market, as Hurley, yeah no probs but who wants to wear Nike shite ??? its connected to homey and seppo basketball and stuff, well it is for me anyway.....I remeber Shane Bevan being sponsored by Adidas for a while there too....

Luke Munro rips, he should be in there.....

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:57 am

Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.