Billabong Pipeline Masters

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: Billabong Pipeline Masters

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:08 pm

i love reading about those old guys. i wonder if there are interviews with owl or profiles in any mags from the 1970s. but you've been writing from hawaii for ages, nick. do you remember your first ever north shore report?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Stoked on that NC.....good to hear about Andy. Me, him, Dean Dampney , Jack and Owl had alot of awesome times surfing Sunset.
I heard Andy got into some strife with some locals..

I'm having to restrain myself from busting out another Owl anecdote.

When I think of Owl I think of the line from "Needle and the Damage Done": I sing the song because I love the man.

I think you did him justice.....I saw him....I heard him.

Clear as day....just like he was standing there in front of me.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:28 am

steve shearer wrote:I heard Andy got into some strife with some locals..
He did! Some of the old Sunset Point boys, Ricardo Pomar and crew, got irritated because Andy was catching too many waves. Andy isn't the kind of guy to back down ... indeed I suspect he may relish a bit of conflict on occasion ... the result being that Ricardo and the crew went to court and got the Hawaiian version of an AVO served on him. This effectively prohibited him from surfing Sunset Beach whenever any of the crew were out. I ran across him out at Greggy's Jumps, you know the wedgey little peak at the west end of Turtle Bay, not long after the AVO had been served, and he told me the story. The Jumps was about as close as he could get to Sunset at the time.

The North Shore is such a big deal in surfing that you sometimes forget it's just a small town, with all a small town's quirks and incidents.

Glad you enjoyed the piece shearer, I always think when you like something then I must have done a good job.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 am

Nick Carroll wrote:hey gang you might have read the pre eddie piece I wrote in the ASL forums, well I got round to adding some more notes from the trip in the same thread if you're interested

http://www.surfinglife.com.au/forum/vie ... 906#p45906
An "asylum" it is.

Well written.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:57 am

For anyone interested in the pyschological fall-out from Parko's failed campaign check the vid online at Stab (no I don't fcuking work for them)......
It's all there: the bitter disappointment; the self-loathing("in the end you can only hate yourself"); the timid self-justifications that fail to convince; and the admission at the crushing weight of pressure.

It'd be a mighty, ney, monumental effort for Joel to rise again from these ashes.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:57 pm

It'd be a mighty, ney, monumental effort for Joel to rise again from these ashes.
i hope he does "rise" from the ashes... imho, he brings a lot more style to australian surfing than mick does......