Greatest small wave session ever filmed?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Greatest small wave session ever filmed?

Post by steve shearer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:40 pm

http://www.marinelayerproductions.com/

scroll down to evening session.

no music. modern shortboard.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

SAsurfa
barnacle

Re: Greatest small wave session ever filmed?

Post by SAsurfa » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Sorry Steve, I don't agree, I've seen better but they just don't come to mind as the moment. Will come back after a surf with some ammo.

Nice feel though with the lack of sound and just the waves 8)

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:33 pm

I was ready to agree with SAsurfa after the first 20 seconds but it got better but certainly not the greatest ever.

Nice of KK to make an appearance at 1.34

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Archy in Wave Warriors 3..in the orange and grey wetty...I havent even checked ya link yet SS but it'd have to be special to top old Arch when he was coked to the eyeballs killing it in this vid IMHO...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:42 pm

that site wont play the game, cant see shitt..... :evil:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Mark, I can email it to you if you like. It's only 30mg or something and well worth a look.

Steve, awesome footage and although not sure I'd call it the greatest, it's definitely some of the best I've seen in that size surf.

Just love the look and feel of most of his clips on the blog. I read he's making a small creative surf film of his own, really looking forward to seeing it.

Imagining an arty, independent, Alex Knost style film . . . that's actually cool and features amazing surfing.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:58 am

yeah, send it over mate...cheers 8)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:41 am

Yeah....excuse my cynical eye but I find it beyond ironical that Dane is biting Bukowski's style.....trying to be some poor, boho hobo who sleeps rough.
And Dane's living in an ultra modern townhouse one block back from the beach, driving the latest 4WD and is on what: $2-3 mill US a year ?
Ahh.....the ennui of the rich.

The whole world wants to be like Dane and he wants to be a poor, semi-homeless bum.

Hey Dane, come on over and trade places I'll get you a few shifts in a bus drivers uniform if you really want to feel how it feels to be at the bottom of the pile.

If Dane Reynolds one day gave away all his money and became a wandering gypsy....thumbing his finger at the capitalist machine that has served him so well it'd be a miracle.

And Dane, re: your last clip. I hope you swung the old bloke playing the clarinet a 50 spot. 'Cause otherwise your a cnut.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that he is the best surfer in the world right now....daylight second.

PS....wonder what Bukowski would think of Reynolds; a multi-millionaire surf star. A part of the establishment he despised so heartily.
Last edited by steve shearer on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 am

bukowski?

I don't see any alcoholism, vitriolic misogyny, poesis, L.A ...

I do like the clip though. The everyday sounds and editing capture a simple unassuming arvo session well. I enjoyed the clip.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 am

pridmore wrote:yeah, send it over mate...cheers 8)
No sweat, I'll flick it over to you tonight. Might send you a few similar short clips as well.
steve shearer wrote:Yeah....excuse my cynical eye but I find it beyond ironical that Dane is biting Bukowski's style.....trying to be some poor, boho hobo who sleeps rough.
And Dane's living in an ultra modern townhouse one block back from the beach, driving the latest 4WD and is on what: $2-3 mill US a year ?
Ahh.....the ennui of the rich.

The whole world wants to be like Dane and he wants to be a poor, semi-homeless bum.

Hey Dane, come on over and trade places I'll get you a few shifts in a bus drivers uniform if you really want to feel how it feels to be at the bottom of the pile.

If Dane Reynolds one day gave away all his money and became a wandering gypsy....thumbing his finger at the capitalist machine that has served him so well it'd be a miracle.

And Dane, re: your last clip. I hope you swung the old bloke playing the clarinet a 50 spot. 'Cause otherwise your a cnut.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that he is the best surfer in the world right now....daylight second.

PS....wonder what Bukowski would think of Reynolds; a multi-millionaire surf star. A part of the establishment he despised so heartily.
Well, at least he's a little different from the rest of the pro surfer fraternity :|

I actually enjoy his Bukowski styled nihilistic veneer, it's a refreshing change from the usual crap of the 44. It shows me he has an interest in cultural pursuits and not just 'frothing' all the time.

Definitely the best surfer in the world . . right now.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:05 am

^^It's actually a pretty popular style pose in SoCal, that whole boho-hobo thing

Strange as it seems, Dane himself is in fact following a style trend. Go to west LA and you'll run across 'em in their hordes ... Devendra Banhart worshippers in cheesecloth and corduroy, reading Kerouac and attending casting calls.

In fact Dane is a nice enough kid, pretty smart, he probably shoulda gone to college. I'd pay attention to the surfing if I were you guys, it's all that really warrants our interest.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:15 am

I recently watched a show on Fuel of an under 16s comp in small waves from France. The aerial surfing was ridiculous-straight off skate ramps.The future of comp surfing is (stating the obvious) certainly going to be different.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 am

Nick Carroll wrote: I'd pay attention to the surfing if I were you guys, it's all that really warrants our interest.
Thanks Nick. But we're grown adults here and I think we'll pay attention to whatever the hell we want to.

It's on a publicly available blog and it's an image he's obviously keen to propagate......good luck to him...but the gap between the reality and the fantasy is pretty fcuking glaring.

Seems a common modus operandi for the wealthy Californian surf star....pretend your some wandering hobo artiste while collecting massive pay cheques and accepting all the trappings of being one of the masters of the universe.

I notice Quiksilver are selling a range of Dane Reynolds t-shirts.

Please let no-one of sane mind put Independent and Dane Reynolds in the same sentence together. I'm sure Quik have already got a dark-room full of Super8 ready for when Dane quits the tour and makes his arty, creative fillum.

Regarding Bukowski and Reynolds it's obvious Reynolds has taken to heart and put in practice on of Bukowski's most famous pronouncements on the nature of creativity : " Don't try. Thats very important: not to try.......You wait and if nothing happens , you wait some more. It's like a bug high on a wall. You wait for it to come to you. When it gets close enough you reach out, slap out and kill it. Or if you like it's looks you make a pet out of it".

Reynolds obviously did both in that backlit beachy in Ventura.
The man is an artist of the highest calibre on a surfboard......it's obvious that can't be showcased in the ASP.
For anyone who thinks this isn't the best small wave session ever recorded......watch it frame by frame.
There's a tiny fading trim adjustment on the drop to gain extra speed.....there's a massive frontside air.....there's a buried backside bottom turn to sushi roll......there's one to a straight up backside reo into a full power slide....a fins free frontside waft without a single wobble.

The creativity, flow and execution is flawless.

And regarding Rastovich.
The man just completed an 900 mile ocean voyage by canoe.
He paddled out into the cove surrounded by Japs with harpoons.
He's walking the walk.
I'd like to see someone on this forum get around Cape Byron in a 20 knot southerly.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:48 am

Nick Carroll wrote:^^It's actually a pretty popular style pose in SoCal, that whole boho-hobo thing

Strange as it seems, Dane himself is in fact following a style trend. Go to west LA and you'll run across 'em in their hordes ... Devendra Banhart worshippers in cheesecloth and corduroy, reading Kerouac and attending casting calls.
Always knew his 'personal style' wasn't original (is much of anything anymore?), he's just a different voice in the surf media which is why I think he stands out as individual on the personality front (Edit: sorry Steve).
Nick Carroll wrote:I'd pay attention to the surfing if I were you guys, it's all that really warrants our interest.
Definitely, but could you also tell that to my partner who always brings home those NW and Famous magazines?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 am

steve shearer wrote:Seems a common modus operandi for the wealthy Californian surf star....pretend your some wandering hobo artiste while collecting massive pay cheques and accepting all the trappings of being one of the masters of the universe
Not looking for an argument here Steve, just hypothesising.

Is it because he is now "collecting massive pay cheques and accepting all the trappings of being one of the masters of the universe" that he's free to pursue a genuine artistic interest? Also understood that there's a hell of a lot of people out there who just like to perpetuate an image so it really could go either way.

Did you email for one of the copies of l’atlantique noir ? :wink:

If I'd been in town I would have, god knows what it might be worth in a few years.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:35 am

Great surfing, interesting editting. Everything else is just fluff, useless unimportant fluff. I really don't give a toss if the cnuts a hobo on a paycheck, he surfs like a freak and that is what made it worth the three odd mins and 30meg of data.
Same with rasta, good on him for standing by his convictions, he's lucky he has an employer that allows him the ability to live out his passions whilst the rest of us get by driving buses, cleaning toilets, or whatever the hell we all do to put food on the table.
Better person than us? Doubt it. Just more fortunate

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 am

gibber wrote:cnuts a hobo on a paycheck
That would make a great title for a blog.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:23 pm

To bring things back to topic, I'd have to vote these two videos as damn good:

Kelly on his twin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcven_y57bE

Kelly at Rincon on his quad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwVnq_t-Wc4
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.