Manly Tsunami?!?!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Manly Tsunami?!?!

Post by Karlos » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Run to the hills people!!!! Or at least back to Bondi!

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/manly ... -i3k9.html

Jus' tryin' to undo the damage of the recent Festival of Surfin' is all. Killjoy that I am...

magnusiax

Re: Manly Tsunami?!?!

Post by magnusiax » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Nice.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Hopefully we get some new breaks.

BOOMA

Post by BOOMA » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:18 pm

yes,
Pittwater Rd & Belgrave St,
Would make a nice Left hander
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The sins of the father shall not be visited upon the son.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Im thinking a nice ledge heading into the corso. Corso lefts and Corso rights. Quick lets build a layne statue so we get a fun end section aswell.

If only that pit was still there, could have had corso reforms aswell.

BOOMA

Post by BOOMA » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Revolution wrote:Im thinking a nice ledge heading into the corso. Corso lefts and Corso rights. Quick lets build a layne statue so we get a fun end section aswell.

If only that pit was still there, could have had corso reforms aswell.

It happened in 1974,
Salt water flowing down the Corso 8)

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:59 pm

I agree. When I had a gig there the NSROC study that showed much of the lower bits of NSB would go under and that the insurance companies and developers would wimp out and the LGAs would go down the gurgler AS THEY CERTIFIED the DAs for their WANKTARD MATES. FFS this is an OLD FROCKING TOPIC!! so stop whining and move out eh! :roll:

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Purri - you been talkin with too many public servants.
Fewer acronyms - more real language please!!

As a trained geologist - I understand the risks of tsunamis
As a surfer - should I by a house on the lagoon behind the dunes if a can?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:19 pm

NSROC: Northern Suburbs Regional Organisation Of Councils.

Geotech report abt 2005 spelt it out that councils are in deep doodoo for approving development and can't get insurance for the eventually. (viz the 1974? event at Narra). Sea level rises and sandstone degradation (see 2A Addison Rd developments etc at Little Manly) confirms the trend.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:27 am

I studied natural hazards at Macquarie under that bloke in the article, Dale Dominy-Howes. In around 2004 he was doing a lot of work for Manly council with regards to development, the sea wall, and possibilities of hazards like this article discusses. He used to get the st!ts because after asking for his advise and consultation, the council would go against his advice because it didnt fit in with thier 'vision'. He was laughing all the way to the bank though...
Apparently he is one of the worlds leading Tsumani researchers. They reckon that according to the frequency/magnitude history of tsunamis Greece is 500 years overdue for a big one. And its just a matter of time before our east coast cops it again. (One bloke reckons he found evidence of a huge one stripping our coastline down to bedrock!! That would have made the Indo boxing day tsunami seem insignificant.
Amazing topic though, part of me wants it to happen again in my lifetime just cause its so facsinating. (obviously I dont want to see the deaths)

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:14 am

^^ spot on! Pity the GM and some councillors were't too worried (the "not on my watch" syndrome).

There was a coastal hazards subcommittee that sunk AFAIK once the work was complete but it did linger on to abt 2006 in some form. Much of the shoreline rocks is tsunami and storm surf debris over the last 4K. There is a map showing the most at risk areas and it isn't good news! Have a look at the Crater Bay foreshore to get and idea of the scope of the events.
And boy did your mate profit. :lol:

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:19 am

So,if you were a councillor what would you do?
510.gif
This being an ancient map of the earth,showing Oz centered on the equator.
S hit is going to happen.
Humans and the coastline are inseparable.
What would be the cost of defending the coastline against every foreseeable event(by reading the past).
Have a look at the extension to the sea wall at Cronulla(it has progressed since this pic was taken).It has been ongoing for nearly two years and still not finished-
558104.jpg
5 million dollars so far.
Do you think you would stay a councillor long if you suggested building a protection wall the length of your electorate?
Every spot hit by recent waves(Indo,Samoa) will have building returned to pre tsunami days.
Maybe you could put up warning signs of impending (next thousand years or so)disaster and put life jackets on every street corner,absolving council of any legal threat,or refuse D.A.s that propose anything at sea level.And most building done prior that could be in harms way would have been"not on your watch".
The best advice ,as a councillor, would be to say,if you are worried about this, do exactly as suggested in the very first post here-head for the hills!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:56 am

It's funny hey, coastlines change, everyone's known that for a very long time and that there's nothing humans can do about it.

Yet we continue to value real estate as if it was permanent.

Radical notion: land has no intrinsic value. Think of the glorious ocean views once available to owners of land now 100m deep several ks offshore! It's not beyond human scope, it's only 20,000 years ago. But now it's as if the land never existed.

Humans invented the whole charade and it'll be plucked away from humans by the actions of the natural world one day. Meanwhile, we turn our lives over to fcuken insurance companies.

Ahh well it's just a game, might as well play it.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:07 am

Nick Carroll wrote: Radical notion: land has no intrinsic value.
Oh,oh.Lookout! Purri will be all over this one!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

northeasterly
regular

Post by northeasterly » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Not long after the boxing day tsunami, a scientist was talking about the tsunami that's expected to hit the East coast of the U.S. when a half of one of the Canary islands eventually falls into the sea. As an example of the carnage that will follow this scenario, he mentioned a tsunami that hit the west coast of the U.S. (oregon I think) 2 million years ago. At that time, one of the Hawaiian islands split in half and fell into the sea in a very similar way, only on a larger scale, as what's expected in the Canary Islands. A mega tsunami hit the west coast at an estimated 2 kilometers in height, washing giant rocks off the sea floor hundreds of kilometers inland.

That's a wave 2 kilometers high. According to this guy, these waves are common in the context of the earth's history.

Sea walls. Phhhffff.

BOOMA

Post by BOOMA » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:27 pm

puurri wrote:I agree. When I had a gig there the NSROC study that showed much of the lower bits of NSB would go under and that the insurance companies and developers would wimp out and the LGAs would go down the gurgler AS THEY CERTIFIED the DAs for their WANKTARD MATES. FFS this is an OLD FROCKING TOPIC!! so stop whining and move out eh! :roll:
One must ponder,
The possibility,
Of Tsunami Strike,
With Council in Session.
:shock: + :o = :P

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:22 pm

northeasterly wrote:Not long after the boxing day tsunami, a scientist was talking about the tsunami that's expected to hit the East coast of the U.S. when a half of one of the Canary islands eventually falls into the sea. As an example of the carnage that will follow this scenario, he mentioned a tsunami that hit the west coast of the U.S. (oregon I think) 2 million years ago. At that time, one of the Hawaiian islands split in half and fell into the sea in a very similar way, only on a larger scale, as what's expected in the Canary Islands. A mega tsunami hit the west coast at an estimated 2 kilometers in height, washing giant rocks off the sea floor hundreds of kilometers inland.

That's a wave 2 kilometers high. According to this guy, these waves are common in the context of the earth's history.

Sea walls. Phhhffff.
nah you got that wrong buddy. It was another half of a Canary island and it wasn't really all that long ago.

Like 60,000 years or some such.

Came to science's attention after geologists started wondering about a long, intermittent line of large coastal boulders scattered throughout the Virginia mountains. They tracked similar stuff down through the Carolinas and waaaay inland Florida.

Matched it up with carbon dating/exposure dating of a Canary island that'd split in half, turns out it was around the same time.

There's a similarly huge chunk of rock hanging off another Canary right now, waiting for a semi dormant volcano to blow it off. When it does, all else remaining equal, NYC etc will be obliterated.