Classic ebay surfboards WTF?!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Classic ebay surfboards WTF?!

Post by Beerfan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:35 pm

What's the stupidest board you've seen on ebay.

I always trawl ebay to see what's going. Lately i saw an andy irons board for 2k haha, and there's one on there now for 3955 haha. Why the f&ck would anyone in their right mind buy a surfboard for 3955, just coz its signed by smelly skater??.

Other classics are the ones that start with AWESOME surfboard hahah.

What other classics have you lot seen??

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: Classic ebay surfboards WTF?!

Post by dUg » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:26 pm

Got one listed right now and the kids are going bonkers for it. 36 watchers. :D

What's the go with all these Fanning DHD things I keep seeing?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:10 pm

dUg wrote:Got one listed right now and the kids are going bonkers for it. 36 watchers. :D

What's the go with all these Fanning DHD things I keep seeing?
Someone mentioned that before, forgot the reason, there was one :?
dunnc wrote:There was a glutt of them around from the VB comp, these are what you saw from out west.

Even surf shops on consignment with untouched ones only wanted $450 which says something. They are also marked on the stringer with soemthing about VB. I don't think they are up to the normal BASE standards though.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:14 pm

VB Comp had ebay flooded with them. Even brand newies from the comp (pencilled on the stringer) were selling on consignment in surfshops for $400 odd...

The funnier listings are the ones where it is an yellowing dinged up 6,10 gun and the description pumps it up as a great board perfect for beginners.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:31 pm

dunnc wrote:VB Comp had ebay flooded with them. Even brand newies from the comp (pencilled on the stringer) were selling on consignment in surfshops for $400 odd...

The funnier listings are the ones where it is an yellowing dinged up 6,10 gun and the description pumps it up as a great board perfect for beginners.
Mate thats just smart marketing I may have done this blatanly to sell a piece of shit before

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 pm

dunnc wrote:VB Comp had ebay flooded with them. Even brand newies from the comp (pencilled on the stringer) were selling on consignment in surfshops for $400 odd...

I had a guy bring one in the shop the other day and he told me it was a limited edition Mick Fanning DHD VB board, he said he wanted the fin fixed and to do a very good job because this board is going to be a collectors item.....it had a Fanning signature ( not a real signature, a decal ) on it and VB pencilled on the stringer, I didnt think it was too rare, saw at least 4 or 5 at Cooly recently and plenty on e-bay too.....some people are real suckers hey ....

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14 am

There is currently a Channel Islands K - board with the three colour spray and Kelly's signature on it with a "buy it now" price of $7500 :shock:

You can try your luck at standard bidding, starting at $3500!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:24 am

Reminds me of a little story I heard a while ago :twisted:

Believe it was 20 or so locally produced boards under the XX brand (you can work it out) for the Quik Pro comp, primarily for Dane Reynolds selection, took one look and said no thanks to all of them. And so did the rest.

Then again, someone said to me yesterday they can get virtually any brand they want out of China. Never did ask if that was with the knowledge of the owner of the brand.

Hmmm, don’t like what’s happening, but maybe it will go full circle.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Hey Ric, I heard a similar story of a local shaper taking 10 boards up for the Quik pro one year for Kelly et al, when he called around to see how they went caught Kelly throwing them in the bin, unsurfed.
Poor guy, he is a great guy and just trying to build his brand and get a little confidence but the surfers don't care, spoilt little brats most of them :D

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Welcome to the real worl of board production.

Don't believe the HYPE.

Learn Yourself (sic Beautiful Girls)

And Understand what works for YOU on a wave.

Kern laugh still at all these punters with the whole, OMG I picked up one of (Ad WTC Surfers name here)s board!!!!

Does that mean he/she will enjoy there surfing more???

i don't kern fkern think so. :arrow:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:17 am

bro wrote:Hey Ric, I heard a similar story of a local shaper taking 10 boards up for the Quik pro one year for Kelly et al, when he called around to see how they went caught Kelly throwing them in the bin, unsurfed.
Poor guy, he is a great guy and just trying to build his brand and get a little confidence but the surfers don't care, spoilt little brats most of them :D
Bro, good to see you are still around... real point of my post is the boards in question are considered a premium brand, or should I say people pay a premium for them, not someone trying to establish themselves.