Lost some weight, been doin abs, surfing better.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Lost some weight, been doin abs, surfing better.

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm

In the past 3 months i've been on a health kick, eating right, and doing a bit more excercise ( down to 78 from 90kg ). The last few weeks i've been doing crunches everyday.

I have noticed the last few surfs, i've been able to pull off some pretty good turns, much better than i could before, and feel like i can compress down lower. Anyway, i think its helped, and its a f*cken good feeling to be pulling off tighter turns, and having better balance. Manouverability is addictive!!.

Thought i'd share.

Anyone else do specific excercise for surfing?? Share your secrets!

mical
barnacle

Re: Lost some weight, been doin abs, surfing better.

Post by mical » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Beerfan wrote:Anyone else do specific excercise for surfing?? Share your secrets!
I do a lot of core work solely for better, tigher surfing because I just don't get to surf everyday.

Using a stability ball I do 3-4 nights a week and 2-3 sets per exercise, changing them up each workout: Bridges & Side Bridges, Back Extensions, Crunches, Lying Trunk Twists, Superman Balance, Rollouts, Russion Twists, Balance Twists and Jackknifes.

Stability ball is the best training tool you can have other than a board and waves I reckon.

Also have a heavy bag and skipping rope in the shed that I try and use for 30 mins each every night.

However, I still believe the best specific exercise for surfing . . . is surfing.

But I really like Loofy's idea :idea:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:58 pm

I do 50 chin-ups every second day.

then check out Russian brides on the innernet.

thats physical and mental workout.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:23 pm

steve shearer wrote:I check out Russian brides on the innernet.

thats physical and mental workout.
That's not a bad workout Steve.

Beating yourself into submission AND fitness :wink:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:43 pm

it seems simple and harks back to me days of yoof, but skateboarding is great for my surfing.

not kickflips, just plain ol carves and speed. get low to the ground, really points out how weight distribution and where you *lean* affects speed through turns.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:30 pm

I've been doing a bit of core training recently and its been making a different for me too. More balance and better control through turns, especially during driving cutbacks and low center of gravity turns.

My personal opinion of core training for surfing is - ok strength and endurance are important in your core muscles for any sport, surfing included. The other equally important part in my opinion is the motor learning and coordination of your core muscles.

If you ever watch someone try something new that requires coordination you might see them start off wobbly and lacking control, and with time they build precision and become more and more smooth and controlled in their movement. This is motor learning - your brain learning how to control and manipulate the many muscles and forces in your body to serve the purpose.

Building off this theory, the more dynamic and challenging core exercises that you do (e.g. with a swiss-ball), not only do you develop stronger and more enduring core muscles, but you also develop the motor part of your brain that controls these core muscles. There are a lot of muscles and complex forces going on in your core, and the more you develop and enrich the motor learning part of your core muscles, the better your brain will be at using your core under all sorts of different circumstances.

So sure, huff and puff doing heaps of crunches until your abs burn up and tell you that they'll be stronger next time, but also challenge your core in many different ways to enrich the part of your brain that controls your core = high level fitness and strength IMHO :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Just come off 3 weeks of doing some running/jogging.

Have to do it so I could make it round the maroubra fun run without stopping (just 4 km, but that's a long way to someone who hates running). Did ok and have lost a little weight in the process.

I'm getting less interested in exercise and more interested in beer, but my main health thing for the last year or so has been to keep the weight off. It's the one thing I can do without getting too much into exercise.

Love to be fitter but having trouble finding the motivation. As it is though I reckon I am carrying only 3 to 4kgs of excess, and by that I mean to get down to seriously low fat levels, like boxing fit. It's about as low as the weight will go without serious training.

I can't abide carrying excess weight. I've never been a big bloke, but I just have to put on 3 or 4 kgs and I feel like I can hardly get out of a chair. I don't know how people get around carrying 20 and 30 kgs of fat.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:19 pm

swimming, next best thing to surfing for surfing fitness I reckon. Some push-up too. with feet on the couch for shoulders and on dumbells for chest.

Also balance on a skate deck, trucks removed, on a 2 ltr bottle, roll around, get really low and hold grabs for as long as possible. Good for balance and muscle tone, and a bit of fun, been doing that for years then noticed you can pay shitloads for a 'balance board' advertised in the back of surf mags, :roll:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:37 pm

Cheers guys, i'll have to steal the gym ball back off the kids. Or maybe i'll just buy another one, it'll be easier haha.

I have found that its 80% eating right, and 20% excercise for losing the kilo's. Sounds crazy, but knowing what fuel you put into your engine makes a huge difference.

Cheers once again.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:55 pm

True, the average weight loss for exercise on its own for 12 weeks is around 4kg. Pretty dismal compared to diet only with an average of 11kg. Put diet and exercise together and its an average of around 13kg.

Everyone responds differently to exercise only though. Some people will loose a lot, and some will loose only a little. Exercise on its own makes it harder for your body to gain any more weight though, that you can count on.

Diet plus exercise tends to be more long term sustainable as well, with a lower likelihood of rebounding back up in weight later on.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:01 pm

hmmm atm (not counting pool squads):

Tuesday: flat water board training, in a group, 5km broken down into speed sets/endurance, ie 3 x 4min descending effort, 6 x 1min at 90-95%, 3 x 2min at 70-95%. Or 3 x 400m run-5min at 90%-400m run with warmup and warmdown

Wednesday: surf set: 12min warmup through surf / 6 x 4min paddle-run-paddle 90% effort / 4 x 6min swim-run-swim 90% effort / board relay warmdown

Thursday: run/static: 10 min warmup jog / 400x abs / 8 x 25-10sec sprints / 400x abs / 4 x 12sec sprints / 10min warmdown jog

Friday: weights: long warmup / leg press / fitball balance set / squats / fitball balance set / warmdown

Saturday: board speed/endurance: 10 min warmup jog/sprint/jog/static / 18 x 1min 90-95% / 12 min 70% warmdown

Sunday: 10min warmup jog/dynamic stretch / 4 x ironman set, one easy, one extended run (150m each leg), one 90-95% effort, one warmdown

Saturday being the toughest by a fair way, you can get through 10 or so 1min sets at 90%+ but getting to 18 is something of an ask, even for the supergrommet 15yos who hold the NSW board relay title and three of whom were top 10 in the junior Coolangatta Gold two weekends ago

Plus a lot of stretching, "core work" etc

You want to be fit? Try to hang with the grommets.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 am

F*ck me dead nick, when do you fit work in?? 400xabs? jebus i thought i was doing ok with 100 a day. Gunna have to bump them up now :cry:

I have a lake a few hundred metres down the road. What do you use in the flat water??.

Grommets?? I surf the dawn patrol, i never see any grommets. Once or twice in the last 4 or so years i've seen grommets before 8am. Nowhere to be seen early arond here haha.

surfdenbeer

Post by surfdenbeer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:30 am

Beerfan wrote:In the past 3 months i've been on a health kick, eating right, and doing a bit more excercise ( down to 78 from 90kg ). The last few weeks i've been doing crunches everyday.

I have noticed the last few surfs, i've been able to pull off some pretty good turns, much better than i could before, and feel like i can compress down lower. Anyway, i think its helped, and its a f*cken good feeling to be pulling off tighter turns, and having better balance. Manouverability is addictive!!.

Thought i'd share.

Anyone else do specific excercise for surfing?? Share your secrets!
Congrats Beerfan , I'll add my 2 cents as ive been thru a similar weight transition

Now you don't have that extra carton on your guts try some smaller thinner boards , even those trendy sub 6'0 thruster/quad fun boards - you'll be amazed how much you love your surfing again ( assuming you were not as much at 90 keg )

Sounds like the secrets out on draining the pipes :lol:

And the Bike riding is a gun exercise for the low - impact / elevated heart rate ( i cruise for a little then ' sprint ' keeping a constant feel of my heart rate , try to keep it above 120bpm for 40 min )

A small amount of soft sand / dune climbs won't hurt and you can cool off straight away - mix it up a bit

Your spot on with the diet , i had to do my own research and even went to the extreme of counting my calorie intake for a few weeks just to see what fuel was going in and what i was burning
the site is calorie-count its a yankee site but you can change to metric measures

My tips ( which are not secrets really ) Plenty of Spinach/silverbeet , Tuna in springwater only , lean chicken / beef... Small amount of nuts/ dried fruit , yoghurt in between meals, vege / tommie juice

If you count up correct there's still enough room for a couple of rewarding coldies

Currently im stripping 3 -5 kg again after a run of very little surf options and niggling injuries and beer consumption

This is a great thread for everyone to contribute a few secrets i reckond

I need some help with ab exercise's that won't hurt/pressure/pull on lower back , ive tried the ball ( with some surfing specific routines ) and on the floor is a big no no for me as it does more harm than good ...

Maybe someone has had success with those machines that ladies buy off the tele , only to use once collect dust and end up at the tip?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:34 am

Nick Carroll wrote: You want to be fit? Try to hang with the grommets.
Someone told me you growl when running a bit behind on your paddle board. :D

Enlighten us please kNicknaCk, is this voice training or is there another benefit?

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:57 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:05 am

I go to the gym three times a week.

Tuesday - weights and core muscles
Wednesday - rowing machine and light weights
Thursday - weights and core muscles

Saturday/Sunday 2 hour surf and about 2 hours gardening (building retaining walls, digging etc..)

Can't break through 88kgs, must be the beer and ton of food I eat during the week that keeps it there.

Surfing wise no better but once a week is not really going to help in that regard - fcuk I hate work
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:19 am

robzig wrote:I have started to eat healthy again and get on the bike through the week but I'm finding it hard to stay on track. Any pointers?
Unfortunately the only pointer I can give is 'commitment' and 'consistency'.

I f#cking hate exercising but at 36 I need to do it to stay in shape.

If we all could just get consistent swell everyday we wouldn't need to do anything else.
surfdenbeer wrote:Maybe someone has had success with those machines that ladies buy off the tele , only to use once collect dust and end up at the tip?
Wife wants one of these Ab King Pro's you see on the devil box:

Actually thinking of relenting and letting her get one so I can try it out.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 am

robzig wrote:Man I need some guidance in losing some weight. I went from 68kg to 80kg in what seemed to be over night. I found out I really love red wine and Coops which set my eating ship in the wrong direction. F**K......now I'm up around 84kg and feel massive.

It never hindered my surfing up until now, my lower back went on me last week. I gotta get back to fighting weight period.

I have started to eat healthy again and get on the bike through the week but I'm finding it hard to stay on track. Any pointers?
What part is hard to stay on track so far rob?

In terms of staying on track, the more strategies that you can think of that will make it easier to stick to, the better (e.g. don't have unhealthy foods in the house, make a batch of food that can be reheated later to avoid turning to fast-food, find someone to ride with, etc.)

Will power only lasts so far, strategies will get you through until the healthy eating and exercise are just a normal part of your week.