Most consistent stretch of coast? (EC)

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

brownhornet
Grommet

Re: Most consistent stretch of coast? (EC)

Post by brownhornet » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:00 pm

silvynn wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
The mid north Coast between Port and South of Coffs has the most consistent surf but can be overpowered by big swells easily.
Having lived on this very stretch of coast for the last year and a half, after moving up from the Eastern Subs of Sydney, I unfortunately disagree. The surf in this stretch is shithouse. Don't bother. Hardly ever breaks mate. In fact, stay in Sydney cause it's waaaay more consistant.
I agree. Lived in Sydney NB and have to confirm that the quality,variety and consistency of surf is much better than this stretch of coast where I currently live. NB wins hands down. Points, reefs, beach breaks and far too many to choose from.

The difference I see is up on Mid-North coast you trade wave consistency for numbers. Always easy to find a wave up here out of the way with few one it. When it is great you still get plenty of waves vs the dog eat dog of sydney. More fun yes. Better... no chance. S swells miss a lot of places and anything over 6ft is not held very well except for a few fickle spots. Spend hours driving between spots. NB is covered in an 1.5 hrs in good traffic and check 20 spots

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:50 am

interesting to hear the opinions.
Ive heard people rip sydney off so often (got mates who hate it for surf) but i reckon what they really hate is the crowds.
I reckon that if the NB had no crowds, it would be one of the best stretches for surf on the entire east coast. Just lacks consistently long waves, ( Box, but fickle as all hell)
I agree that the variety of waves within an hours drive here is almost second to none. From the bower to palmy, so many options for so many conditions.
Compared to other areas (eg sth coast) where you often need to drive 30 mins just to check 2 or 3 spots, you can walk between more spots on the NB.
Then again if the sand is fcuked then, like anywhere, there can be almost nowhere to surf even with a decent swell running.
I reckon the grass will always be greener.....good spots everywhere.....pays to know, and pays to be able to drop everything and go when the conditions are right.

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:48 am

I think Jimi is right.
My mate from the Manly Water Board, a keen surfer, reckons the Wollongong to Newcastle stretch gets more swell activity in the 1-2m range than anywhere measured on the entire continent, which means that it has the highest surfable consistency (but not necessarily absolute quality) in the country.
However,you will get more waves in the Ulladulla area. The south coast has quite a varied off shore geography. The Ulladulla area has a very deep channel in the continental shelf about 20km each side of it. It is far enough north of the Vic border and has some south facing breaks to catch the SW swells which means a lot of swells that run parallel to the coast around Narooma refract in and are surfable at Ulladulla. Therefore it is more consistent than the other areas on the south coast, with more surfable days than both Wollongong and the area south of Batemans Bay. With the relative lack of crowds and variety of breaks it has the best wave to surfer ratio than anywhere in the country by a long, long way.
However, if Sydney had the same crowds as Ulladulla it would be the winner. In the wave to surfer ratio equation, it is not the waves that are the problem, just the surfers.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:25 pm

I'd say Woolongong the brave to Newcastle has more good surf breaks (as opposed to gets the most swell) than anywhere per klm. If you chuck in Nelson Bay as well its a no contest. Of course this is just as well since youve got three of OZs biggest cities as a catchment :? :?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Beanpole wrote:I'd say Woolongong the brave to Newcastle has more good surf breaks (as opposed to gets the most swell) than anywhere per klm. If you chuck in Nelson Bay as well its a no contest. Of course this is just as well since youve got three of OZs biggest cities as a catchment :? :?
Yeah we'd be fcuked in this neckof the woods with the crowds if we didnt have the variety and number of waves per km that we do