Most consistent stretch of coast? (EC)

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Jimi
Local

Most consistent stretch of coast? (EC)

Post by Jimi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Been thinking for a while what the most consistent stretch of coast on the east coast is?? Not Sunshine coast, dont think id say goldy....North/Mid north coast maybe......I reckon central coast and Sydney would be up there...but not quite....north of Newy a good bet.....sth coast seems a good bet too....but then again, maybe not, south swells seem to pass lots of spots (not others thankfully).
What do people reckon? have you got it good, or rather be somewhere else? Or is it all much the same depending on seasons? grass is always greener?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Re: Most consistent stretch of coast? (EC)

Post by LONGINUS » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Due to the west to east passage of storm systems, west coasts will always be more consistent as far as the delivery of swell. East coast syndrome on the other continents can make for some soul destroying lulls. Ever wonder why the Santa Catarina ASP event in Brazil was so crap? The NNE lie of the NSW coast is very fortunate in maximising any energy moving up the coast, we are lucky to get what we do. Compare this to West Coast New Zealand, you spend most of the time waiting for it to die down before you go out, even in summer.

But to answer your question, I would say Northern NSW, just dont tell steve Shearer, his local point break up there is best in a NE'er :D
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Jimi wrote:Been thinking for a while what the most consistent stretch of coast on the east coast is?? Not Sunshine coast, dont think id say goldy....North/Mid north coast maybe......I reckon central coast and Sydney would be up there...but not quite....north of Newy a good bet.....sth coast seems a good bet too....but then again, maybe not, south swells seem to pass lots of spots (not others thankfully).
What do people reckon? have you got it good, or rather be somewhere else? Or is it all much the same depending on seasons? grass is always greener?

How old are you Jimi?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:38 pm

How can the coast not be consistent? If it was inconsistent it would become a jumble of rock. Or maybe become a bay or inlet... but then it becomes a shore I guess... can it devolve into some form of matrix of quantum particulate matter with weak anisotropic bonds? No. No it can't.

So yes, the coast is consistent. All the way around. Like an island. Hope that helps.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:07 pm

Good question and worthy of some serious debate in my view (without giving away your favourite spots of course).
West coasts will deliver better swell, east coasts will always be brides-maids, relying on refracted swells and swells that go against the general direction. Why are Mentawais so good? Look at the position and geography, it doesn't get better.

Anyway, back to the easy coast. Thought about it myself in a kind off hand, should-apply-some-science-to-this sort of way, who hasn't? :shock: I think we've all had a good think about it, especially when you consider jumping in the car to hit the coast for a few waves. Without applying too much real science to the hypothesis, - but after some long term observations, gut feel, commentary, surf reports, surf trips and other information drenched in bias and emotion, one view as follows:

South Coast - definitely not. I spend a lot of time on the south coast and while it can get good on occasion, it's geographical location in relation to the east coast main swell generators means that it cops more onshore (southerly) winds when the mid north coast can be westerly on an ECL, especially if the ECL is generating in the southern Tasman. Can't tell you how many times I've been depressed after chasing swell on the south coast and come up with 3ft onshore slop. Also, the swell development will generally have less period: it will be too south in direction, more disorganised and marginal. An extra 500km of distance and offshore can do a lot to make a swell line up. The central and mid north coast benefits from this. N/e swell? You only have to look at the general shape and direction of the whole south coast to see that strong N/E swells (cyclones and summer trade wind swells) kind of swing past a bit. True east swells can be good (real good) but rare. While the sth coast can fire up, the conditions required are more fickle relative to other spots (in my humble opinion ladies and gentlemen) Otway will be happy on this call I'm sure.

Sydney - meh... Picks up plenty of swell but unless the beaches have cracking banks (super rare), the reefs and "points" are 2nd rate generally. Plenty of fun rubbish buts lots of frustration when there is swell, good conditions but no banks and the crowds make the whole thing a shit fight. Fcuk it, shits me to tears.

Central coast to mid north coast - mmmmm...goood.... Newcastle through to Port Macquarie and upwards to Yamba. All good in my view. Long distances between waves which can be a drag, a few "dry" spots in between breaks but generally good. Beaches / points / reefs. The pick of the bunch in terms of long term swell/winds. Enough distance for south swells to line up, enough direction for east and n/e swells to do their thing.

North Coast - A number of cracking points and beaches (with the odd reef) but generally too crowded in my view at the better quality wave spots. I'm sure Shearer and others may want to comment here. Gets the best of the south swells in my view in terms of period and winds, as well as east and north east swells from summer conditions, specially cyclones. Lengthy down time in spring and early summer of course, like everywhere on the east coast, but when those long period south/east and east swells line up and wrap into those sand filled rocky bays - it's wooo-hooo.

North of the border - Haven't surfed enough spots to comment. Some cracking waves at the usual suspect spots...Duranbah, Burleigh etc... but crowded. Some good beach breaks too but fickle and bank dependant. Great waves when they come but crowded and focussed on a few select locations. The area generates a lot of world class surfers so the waves must be ok....

That's my 2 bob. Maybe some others will disagree? Let's hear it.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:50 am

Whale Beach - swell magnet of NSW. Everyone go there and drop in on Dino.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:46 am

steve shearer wrote:
How old are you Jimi?

What does that have to do with it?
Younger than you, but older than some on here.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:04 am

black duck wrote:Good question and worthy of some serious debate in my view (without giving away your favourite spots of course).
West coasts will deliver better swell, east coasts will always be brides-maids, relying on refracted swells and swells that go against the general direction. Why are Mentawais so good? Look at the position and geography, it doesn't get better.

Anyway, back to the easy coast. Thought about it myself in a kind off hand, should-apply-some-science-to-this sort of way, who hasn't? :shock: I think we've all had a good think about it, especially when you consider jumping in the car to hit the coast for a few waves. Without applying too much real science to the hypothesis, - but after some long term observations, gut feel, commentary, surf reports, surf trips and other information drenched in bias and emotion, one view as follows:

South Coast - definitely not. I spend a lot of time on the south coast and while it can get good on occasion, it's geographical location in relation to the east coast main swell generators means that it cops more onshore (southerly) winds when the mid north coast can be westerly on an ECL, especially if the ECL is generating in the southern Tasman. Can't tell you how many times I've been depressed after chasing swell on the south coast and come up with 3ft onshore slop. Also, the swell development will generally have less period: it will be too south in direction, more disorganised and marginal. An extra 500km of distance and offshore can do a lot to make a swell line up. The central and mid north coast benefits from this. N/e swell? You only have to look at the general shape and direction of the whole south coast to see that strong N/E swells (cyclones and summer trade wind swells) kind of swing past a bit. True east swells can be good (real good) but rare. While the sth coast can fire up, the conditions required are more fickle relative to other spots (in my humble opinion ladies and gentlemen) Otway will be happy on this call I'm sure.

Sydney - meh... Picks up plenty of swell but unless the beaches have cracking banks (super rare), the reefs and "points" are 2nd rate generally. Plenty of fun rubbish buts lots of frustration when there is swell, good conditions but no banks and the crowds make the whole thing a shit fight. Fcuk it, shits me to tears.

Central coast to mid north coast - mmmmm...goood.... Newcastle through to Port Macquarie and upwards to Yamba. All good in my view. Long distances between waves which can be a drag, a few "dry" spots in between breaks but generally good. Beaches / points / reefs. The pick of the bunch in terms of long term swell/winds. Enough distance for south swells to line up, enough direction for east and n/e swells to do their thing.

North Coast - A number of cracking points and beaches (with the odd reef) but generally too crowded in my view at the better quality wave spots. I'm sure Shearer and others may want to comment here. Gets the best of the south swells in my view in terms of period and winds, as well as east and north east swells from summer conditions, specially cyclones. Lengthy down time in spring and early summer of course, like everywhere on the east coast, but when those long period south/east and east swells line up and wrap into those sand filled rocky bays - it's wooo-hooo.

North of the border - Haven't surfed enough spots to comment. Some cracking waves at the usual suspect spots...Duranbah, Burleigh etc... but crowded. Some good beach breaks too but fickle and bank dependant. Great waves when they come but crowded and focussed on a few select locations. The area generates a lot of world class surfers so the waves must be ok....

That's my 2 bob. Maybe some others will disagree? Let's hear it.
I definatly understand why West Oz, Indo etc get far more swell, over 5 years of studying geography at a tertiary level would have led to this if it wasn't already bleedingly obvious, which is why I post the question of the east coast.
I'd agree that the Sth coast isn't, ive done most of my surfing in Syd and south all the way to narooma. Some great waves but fickle (as is most of the east).
I know my fav stretch lies within the 3 hours or so north of Newy, but thats because its the area ive surfed the most after Sydney and Sth.
And Steve, if you worried im not about to try to expose any spots, im sticking to hundreds of km stretches, and I'm not about to set up a mass exodus to your neck of the woods, (though i am heading up that way over new years-hardly a time to get good uncrowded waves, good maybe, uncrowded, id be very surprised).
Just interested in peoples views, and if people are biased by where they are.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:03 am

Newport Beach is undoubtedly the best surf spot in Australia. Super consistent, often 6' when other beaches are merely head high, offshore in any wind save a dead easterly, and we even have an area devoted especially to Kite Surfing.

who needs fcuken Lennox Head when you can boast all that.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Newport Beach is undoubtedly the best surf spot in Australia. Super consistent, often 6' when other beaches are merely head high, offshore in any wind save a dead easterly, and we even have an area devoted especially to Kite Surfing.

Would be absolute heaven if you could buy Cesare Paciotti shoes up there.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Jimi wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
How old are you Jimi?

What does that have to do with it?
Younger than you, but older than some on here.

Yeah, needless question.
Just thought this topic had been recently thrashed out.

Seriously, it comes down to the bathymetry of the continental shelf and configuration of the NSW coastline.

QLD is ruled out straight away.

The continental shelf is narrowest at Hat Head.

The mid north Coast between Port and South of Coffs has the most consistent surf but can be overpowered by big swells easily.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:58 pm

dinosaur wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:Newport Beach is undoubtedly the best surf spot in Australia. Super consistent, often 6' when other beaches are merely head high, offshore in any wind save a dead easterly, and we even have an area devoted especially to Kite Surfing.

Would be absolute heaven if you could buy Cesare Paciotti shoes up there.

Im sure it would be heaven if you could buy paciotti shoes anywhere buffy.

$500+ just for a pair of sneakers is a bit rich for a greasy dicked broken down old ***, living on handouts from the Bobby Goldsmith foundation.
Speak for yourself Soresi (probably are with that avatar and all). Now listen up bogans from the Northern Beaches. You don't have spend $500 on Paciotti sneakers.....wait for the sales on Oxford St (AV Galan , Rob Ingham etc) and go forth and spend , change your sad pathetic fashionless lives and up the ante going out (not that there are any great places to go out up that way anymore) ....... PC's at Avalon used to be ok but now it's just yobsville or chinos and boat shoes ( that'd definitely be Dinosaur's dress of choice + a Polo shirt (imitation one) - that bumfcuked , invaded sad Knox School case from the 70's that needs anger management therapy).

silvynn
Grommet

Post by silvynn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:31 pm

steve shearer wrote:
The mid north Coast between Port and South of Coffs has the most consistent surf but can be overpowered by big swells easily.
Having lived on this very stretch of coast for the last year and a half, after moving up from the Eastern Subs of Sydney, I unfortunately disagree. The surf in this stretch is shithouse. Don't bother. Hardly ever breaks mate. In fact, stay in Sydney cause it's waaaay more consistant.

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Nick you say Newport can be 6' while others are ONLY head high.Would you call them what,say 4' maybe??? :? :lol: :D

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:59 pm

deep south coast is consistent, small to flat wth swell moving past just beginning to hit the coast north of Ulladulla.
Sailing ships called this part of the coast the paddock because after being belted by the roaring forties through Bass Strait they could make a left turn at disaster bay, green cape area and then suddenly be in calm waters.
Forresters and central coast is about 50% to 80% more consistent on a daily basis FFS
Sorry about double post fat finger fnucking feature :roll:
Last edited by otway1949 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Mid north coast between Coffs and Port Mac is the winner hands down.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Freshie Boy wrote:Mid north coast between Coffs and Port Mac is the winner hands down.

ive only ever lived in one qarea., butr have spnet namy days hanuting waves on east coast australia, rarley have i been let down even when its 0.5 foot.
dont know about west coast, here its consistent as well.
i have so much choice within 2 hour drive north or south thsat complaining would deserve a srtiaght jacket. i hear west aus get higher swell, but on the east our coastline seems to react to any swell direction within an hours drive or so....
got it petty good on the east coast australia i rteckon :D
signatures, finally got it covered.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:54 pm

I would say that newcastle to the tweed - I know that is 700k's but it gets the best of both swell systems (north and south)... then it depends on season, goldy and northern nsw for summer, seal rocks to nowra in winter.