For your viewing and listening pleasure

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

grazza
Local

For your viewing and listening pleasure

Post by grazza » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:00 am

At the risk of being a doting dad, I humbly submit this for your viewing and listening pleasure. I think it's a rather good little film. And stick around for the bonus bovine section.

http://stabmag.com/jed/Sam-Page-pro-sur ... 009-video/

lessormore
barnacle

Re: For your viewing and listening pleasure

Post by lessormore » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Thats excellent.Great shooting and editing.Thats a sick left at the start and hows that spin thing Dane does at the 9.30 mark!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Pretty good bit of film-making there.

How's Dane's personal cap minder at 6.40? Now there's a job for the kids to aspire to.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Sam relied on good shooting and music no cunning stunts to cover bad filming. Good chance for an alternate career, go Sam :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

spook
Grommet

Post by spook » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:25 pm

yeah it's a sweet vid. slick editing and music
the jbay footage is rad. a few years ago ASL released a vid called "no contest" - all the freeriding around the mexican search event. would love to see a similar vid of the jbay event from this year as the waves looked mental.
would also love to see some footage of curren surfing a bit further down the line at tubes

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 pm

That's what most surf films are missing today right there, that's a bloody great little movie.

I'd like to see more :?:

I love watching people surf waves, not just repetitive punt after punt, snippet after snippet.

That first wave of Captain America's is just :shock: :shock:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:24 am

Apart from the surfing......

excellent music.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:37 am

aw hahhaha f#rk off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 am

grazza wrote:At the risk of being a doting dad, I humbly submit this for your viewing and listening pleasure. I think it's a rather good little film. And stick around for the bonus bovine section.

http://stabmag.com/jed/Sam-Page-pro-sur ... 009-video/
Well done. Most enjoyable. Sam's "eye" for a scene really makes the film.
Oh. And great surfing, too.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:53 pm

that was bloody excellent :arrow: and kudos to LA who pointed me at this thread :!: And yep LA, Dane rips the bag mannn :!:

p.s other that all the rff's - dh, ko (who will win peniche btw) and bm, my fave was the 1/3 wave shot of ks, bang, disappears, bang, disappears cool man
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 pm

munch is on drugs, and that music made feel like i was in a club at four in the morning out of my tree and there's muscly gay twins their eyes closed biceps flexing bopping around right in front of me although the dancefloor's otherwise empty and here they are crowding me into a corner and all i want to do is watch the surf vids on the tv over the bar.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:20 am

really nice feel to the vid . some better angles of J-Bay and nice to see some filming "up the line" at J Bay instead of straight on or down the line . More of that .

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Nice one Grazz, kind of like Koyanisquatsi / Phillip Glass does surfing, nice imagery. I didnt even have to see Rob Machado 'praying' in front of a camera in a temple in Bali or digging holes while wearing Hurley boardshorts in Sumbawa. :D
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Funny you should say that.

When they're younger, you can never agree with your kid about music (or anything, actually).

Sam would play me something and I would tell how it was exactly the same as something I was listening to in 1970 or 80 and he would vehemently disagree even though much of the time it was not just similar it was actually the same song, just mixed up a bit.

As the generational divide thawed a little he did start to kind of sort of listen to a few of my oldie stuff and I would grudgingly admit that I kind of liked some of his stuff, and I would dig up mouldy forgotten classics that I thought would fit his emerging tastes, and he would turn me on to new things that I never would have heard otherwise. As his tastes shifted from hip hop and rap, which I didn't generally speaking get, to a kind of minimalist techno which I sort of did, it struck that what he was listening to was getting more and more Phillip Glass like. I played him some old Glass pieces, and he loved them. He still loved even when I showed him a photo of the octogenarian Glass, and he realised that they were created by someone way older even than me.

Chuffed beyond comprehension that he was actually listening appreciatively to something I said for the first time since he was four, I managed to track down and purchase for him a DVD of Koyaanisqatsi (no easy feat) which I remembered fondly from stoned nights at the much missed Valhalla cinema a few decades back. He loved it and it's strongly influenced his style. And it's let him produce something that is I think more authentic than the faux spirituality of the Rasta/Machado school.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:45 am

Glad you cleared that up, didn't realize the music was artistic and as deliberately thought out, which is good!

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Lucky Al wrote:munch is on drugs, and that music made feel like i was in a club at four in the morning out of my tree and there's muscly gay twins their eyes closed biceps flexing bopping around right in front of me although the dancefloor's otherwise empty and here they are crowding me into a corner and all i want to do is watch the surf vids on the tv over the bar.
grazza :arrow: you should take the above as a massive complement, as LA is referring to some of the bestests times of his life
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:45 pm

[quote="grazza" And it's let him produce something that is I think more authentic than the faux spirituality of the Rasta/Machado school.[/quote]

Thats a mighty big call.
What makes you think watching and appreciating a movie makes someones spirituality more authentic?

I can't join the group hug here, I saw a fairly standard mood driven opening before an almost successful attempt at building pace and crescendo to a cafe-like soundtrack.

What did it say to me about pro surfing?
Nothing.
And thats a shame cause I reckon that Sam would be in a position to have a unique insight.

Sorry Graz but the world is full to the goog with pretty pictures cut to non-offensive music, there's no career path there.

First thing is having something to say, otherwise the americans and their gloriously saturated hero-everything 16 mill will bury you.

Take this how you want to, it's offered in an spirit of honest feedback.

Backslapping and pocket pissing is not what your kid needs.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Backslapping and pocket pissing is not what your kid needs.
grazza wrote: I humbly submit this for your viewing and listening pleasure.
No backslapping or pocketpissing here.I liked it.To quote Purri(god help me)"EOS"
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k