swellnet vs coastalwatch vs realsurf

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mondo
Grommet

swellnet vs coastalwatch vs realsurf

Post by mondo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 am

which ones do you guys visit more regularly and why? - and more to the point, has it changed over the last few years? as the three sites have developed (particularly over the last 18 months), ive changed my surf net habits.... a few years back, realsurf was my main stop for reports, but now, i use coastalwatch for immediate "what are conditions like now" (via cams). I use swellnet for 1-3 day forecasts and I use Realsurf more as a community thing, reading stories, photos, forums etc... I also like the photo galleries on swellnet. ive also noticed the number of reports on realsurf has dropped over the years...
Don and Realsurf moderators, have you noticed a change in site traffic, have you done any research into the various reaons people use of your site? what do you see Realsurf's role these days?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: swellnet vs coastalwatch vs realsurf

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:29 am

I don't look at Realsurf for surf reports or forecasts, nor for surf news or photos/video

I just think the forums are hilarious...though they seem to have their good months and bad

Am in a fortunate position re moment to moment surf checks and don't need cameras for that. Thus barely glance at CWatch unless tipped off to something worthwhile. I look at SNet every few days for pics and Stuey's occasional bit plus to see how they're forecasting/interpreting the next swell event

But use none of these sites for actually checking surf possibilities; they're all drawing on the same data, which is all available fresh elsewhere.

I don't look for current surf affairs on any of 'em either. Get enough press releases already... and at the risk of seeming to hype my buddies, ASL is much much better at news these days.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:38 am

Only use RS for the forums.

I usually check Buoyweather for current conditions at a few spots, CW for the cams and Swellnet for the longer period outlook.

Get most of my 'news' from here, a few blogs and ASL online.
Nick Carroll wrote:they're all drawing on the same data, which is all available fresh elsewhere.
Care to point me towards it Nick?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:23 am

I only use the forums on RS. I first go to SN for pictures and reports. Then CW for the same. Then to Windguru and shit.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:39 am

none ... too unreliable ...

I use the BOM ... plus my age old tried and tested method of having a peg ... :idea:

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:52 am

I go to Swellnet every day too!

My internet usage has changed drastically over the years, and I don't just mean since I started working for SN. Realsurf used to be where I got reports and forecasts from yet I haven't been on the frontpage in yonks. It's forums only for me on here.

RS had the potential to be a great site (the frontpage I mean), but sorta slipped into disrepair when other Web 2.0 sites took off.

These days I visit a variety of sites - ASL, Surfline, Surfer et al for news - and there are certain journos who's writing and analysis I admire so I follow them around.

As for surf forecasting, it has moved far beyond what used to be offered on RS back in the day. At the risk of sounding biased (what the fcuk! of course I'm biased!) I reckon Ben, Craig and Steve are the best forecasters in Oz. NC is right, the info is out there for anyone to read, but it's how it's interpreted that is important. And those fellas do it three times a week every single week, and they do a grand job of it too.

Quick one: for those who say Windguru (or whatever) is better than other forecasting sites (not you Coops, I hear it all the time). You should be aware that Windguru, Seabreeze, Magic Seaweed, Buoyweather and a few others are all EXACTLY THE SAME. They just use a direct feed from Wave Watch 3 data, and there is no human element whatsoever. The only difference lies in where they put their GPS point in the ocean.

Anyway, back to Swellnet...

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:10 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:21 pm

If I have time tocheck out the forums it usually means I am at work and not that busy so I tend to check all 3. I am always happy to check out the cams when stuck in a dark room and enjoy the forums.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:33 pm

2nd Reef wrote:I go to Swellnet every day too!

My internet usage has changed drastically over the years, and I don't just mean since I started working for SN. Realsurf used to be where I got reports and forecasts from yet I haven't been on the frontpage in yonks. It's forums only for me on here.

RS had the potential to be a great site (the frontpage I mean), but sorta slipped into disrepair when other Web 2.0 sites took off.

These days I visit a variety of sites - ASL, Surfline, Surfer et al for news - and there are certain journos who's writing and analysis I admire so I follow them around.

As for surf forecasting, it has moved far beyond what used to be offered on RS back in the day. At the risk of sounding biased (what the fcuk! of course I'm biased!) I reckon Ben, Craig and Steve are the best forecasters in Oz. NC is right, the info is out there for anyone to read, but it's how it's interpreted that is important. And those fellas do it three times a week every single week, and they do a grand job of it too.

Quick one: for those who say Windguru (or whatever) is better than other forecasting sites (not you Coops, I hear it all the time). You should be aware that Windguru, Seabreeze, Magic Seaweed, Buoyweather and a few others are all EXACTLY THE SAME. They just use a direct feed from Wave Watch 3 data, and there is no human element whatsoever. The only difference lies in where they put their GPS point in the ocean.

Anyway, back to Swellnet...
Yeah Craig was saying that those other sites get all their data from one point. But they (SN) get it from 3 different sources. Funny thing with Buoyweather is that you have to pay to see a whole week ahead when you can get the exact same info on Seabreeze, Windguru etc for free.

Keep up the good work Swellnet boys. More pics, more pics, more pics!!!
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

AZ
regular

Post by AZ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:40 pm

2nd Reef wrote: I reckon Ben, Craig and Steve are the best forecasters in Oz.
Thanks Stu........
:D

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:45 pm

2nd Reef wrote: I reckon Ben, Craig and Steve are the best forecasters in Oz.
Then of course there's Alex, who operates behind the scenes, does brilliant work yet asks for no thanks (and mostly receives it!).

Sorry AZ!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: they're all drawing on the same data, which is all available fresh elsewhere.
Umm...yes but no but yes but no but....

A small anecdote if I could have a moment of indulgence...

My next door neighbour is a well known Japanese Chef, the kind of bloke who shows up in those glossy lifestyle mags with some amazing recipe.
Anyhow, there's always amazing smells coming from his house so one day I wondered over there with a nice fat fresh tailor, thinking to make friends with a little offering and see what smelled so good.
I find Eki (thats his name) out the back with a little smoking wok setup that smelled absolutely amazing and strangely familiar.

Turns out Eki was hot smoking teryaki chicken with banksia cones.

Fucking Banksia cones!!!!!.
Lying around every suburban street in their thousands and one day he picks one up, smells it and figures it would make a brilliant hot smoking fuel.

Weather data is like those banksia cones......lying around everywhere, for any goose to pick up and use.
But like Stu said (actually I'll pay you that carton next time your up Stu and promise to never again mention that session at the Bommie) it's how you interpret it and use it that makes the meal.

My most valuable surf forecasting data comes from close everyday observation and interaction with the ocean/atmosphere/bathymetry. Small nuances that aren't gunna show up on any weather map.
From that I can interpolate from Agnes to Seal Rocks using acquired knowledge.

Actual raw weather forecast data is riddled with error and fundamental flaw........initialisation problems, latency, accuracy and precision of actual real-time data.

As an experiment take any weather site and plot 3day wind forecasts against the actuals......you'll soon see what I mean.

Some of my most valuable teachers have been Thornton Fallander who has a truly insightful understanding of the summer monsoon pattern in QLD and Ben Matson, who posseses a 6th sense in divining long range probabilities into observed realities.
Anyway....I would say that wouldn't I.
But it's true.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:33 pm

steve shearer wrote:As an experiment take any weather site and plot 3day wind forecasts against the actuals......you'll soon see what I mean.
I've kind of done that Steve.

Bought myself a notebook, checked the buoys, swell forecasts and marine wind forecasts etc. Then I'd drive to my local and note the conditions, banks and wind in my trusty notebook.

Did this for only 6 months and I learnt a lot.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Swellnet and Seabreeze for me. Combine the two and i have a decent idea where ill be heading.

I sometimes check realsurf front page just to check the pics.

Swellnet surf reports are getting anoying though. Especially since they both report the same beach (although one goes under 'curly) and come up with contradicting reports. Also the reporters seem cynical. Im lying in bed its 4ft nd offshore i think nice, then i read about how the wind will pick up, there is a crowd, the tide is bad, its inconsistant, no banks ... and i (the sleep guy) decide sleep is the better option :x

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:13 pm

mical wrote:Bought myself a notebook, checked the buoys, swell forecasts and marine wind forecasts etc. Then I'd drive to my local and note the conditions, banks and wind in my trusty notebook.

Did this for only 6 months and I learnt a lot.
You clearly had a lot of time on your hands Mical :lol:

Just Swellnet for cams and forecasts (I'll admit I need some learned help to decipher and intrpret the weather and wind predictions) and Realsurf for the forums. Occasionally CW for cams (more to choose from).
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:16 pm

SN for the weekly/daily forecasts and CW for the cams.Surfing for me involves a half hour drive minimum either north or south of where I live so I use the cams for swell direction.BOM for current wind speed/direction.
RS for forums.
RE-Swellnet-clicking through to previous WOTDs doesn't seem to work any more. All I get is a blue ?
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:32 pm

coastalwatch for swell forecasts. realsurf for forums only - the rest of the content is shite.
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:45 pm

Maybe one day swellnet will realize that Coolum is not on the gold coast.