Portugal looks the goods.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Portugal looks the goods.

Post by steve shearer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 pm

NATO.....discuss.

No I mean the upcoming Supertubes Connest.

Looks like the North Atlantic is finally coming to life.

A Slater/Parko tube shoot out would be good.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Portugal looks the goods.

Post by Donweather » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Yeah it certainly does Steve, although winds may be a problem as well looking at this chart
Europe_168.gif
Although behind this girl is yet again another lovely looking lady, with some sweet looking curves!!! :D :D

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:46 am

I am here at the moment. Coxos and Pedra Branca breaking at 3-4ft. But oh so crowded. Crazy locals too. They yell and carry on at each other endlessly :lol: A bloke had a go at me for blocking him from catching a wave. He could barely surf, and I was 5 metres away when he was trying to double arm paddle into it. I just sat there bewildered, and then laughed my ass off. WTF?!

Bodysurfing a particular ledge by myself to escape crew. Too shallow to surf otherwise. But it is a perfect short pit. Getting barreled without the hassle. Much better.

Winds are light. And the weather is super hot. I guess that is why everyone is out and about and the lineups are clogged.

Another bloke at the place I am staying is a surf instructor, from Austria. Woohoo. Europe surf culture is a trip.
Last edited by Clif on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:12 am

Ok. Crazzzzzy Portugese locals. The rumours and stereotypes are true

Just got back from Coxos. 3 ft. Crosshore. Uncrowded. Go out. Catch a few waves.

A few locals decide to come out and I move down the line. They take every set, repeatedly. OK. Their wave. Deal with it Clif.

A set passes and they all get a wave. I paddle for a bonus wave that comes in between sets while they are all down the line having just finished their rides. Stoked, I am gunna get one at Coxos. Bottom turn and wind up down the line. Arc into cutty. And there is a bloke behind me and we collide. WTF? Where did he come from.

My mate saw it all and explains that the local had taken off in the whitewater after I had gone past.

The Portugese local begins going berserk. Starts swinging punches left right and centre. I am trying to figure out what the hell is going on and laughing as he misses time and again. It's all a bit wack. I can't believe my luck. This (laughing or missing?) seems to make him even madder and keeps swinging punches and eventually he gives up. He then demands that I go in. As does his mates. :shock:

I oblige. I figure I am not going to punch on at someone else's local especially since I am in his country. So I go in and leave them to their "epic" surf. I don't think physical violence over a wave is ever worth it.

But I have to say, two days and two incidents with crazy Portugese locals. Not boding well for the rest of the week. :lol:

Now, I am a patient surfer and have traveled a lot and know my place. But ffs the crew I have surfed with so far are not the full quid and have no surf etiquette whatsoever. Never before have I seen such craziness. Three or four will paddle for each waves, no one sits out sets ... it is anarchy in the water. And it's not the tourists causing all the chaos but the locals. The world is upside down :P

Tomorrow I am off back to bodysurfing the ledge.

I love Portugal :lol:

Let's hope things improve :D Alternatively, I might go for an incident each day and report in :lol:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:17 am

Has anyone here surfed that long long righthander that was featured in a tracksmag a while ago? I dont think they actually named the place, but it was a wave quite possibly longer than the whole superbank put together.

Does anyone know what the wave is called, where it is, what time of year and conditions are best etc?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:32 am

Sounds fcuking ridiculous Clif.
Ive never heard the stereotypes of Portugal being that bad.
Where the fcuk to locals ANYWHERE get off acting like that? Need some sense knocked into them I say. (not by me, not a fighter either). Stories like this sometimes make me wish i loved a good punch on.
They do share a language with the Brazilians- so do the Brazilians try to act up to the level of their colonial invaders?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:03 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Has anyone here surfed that long long righthander that was featured in a tracksmag a while ago? I dont think they actually named the place, but it was a wave quite possibly longer than the whole superbank put together.

Does anyone know what the wave is called, where it is, what time of year and conditions are best etc?
You may mean Figueira da Foz. If so, the shots in Tracks were extremely flattering to the place.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:09 am

Clif wrote:Ok. Crazzzzzy Portugese locals. The rumours and stereotypes are true

Just got back from Coxos. 3 ft. Crosshore. Uncrowded. Go out. Catch a few waves.

A few locals decide to come out and I move down the line. They take every set, repeatedly. OK. Their wave. Deal with it Clif.

A set passes and they all get a wave. I paddle for a bonus wave that comes in between sets while they are all down the line having just finished their rides. Stoked, I am gunna get one at Coxos. Bottom turn and wind up down the line. Arc into cutty. And there is a bloke behind me and we collide. WTF? Where did he come from.

My mate saw it all and explains that the local had taken off in the whitewater after I had gone past.

The Portugese local begins going berserk. Starts swinging punches left right and centre. I am trying to figure out what the hell is going on and laughing as he misses time and again. It's all a bit wack. I can't believe my luck. This (laughing or missing?) seems to make him even madder and keeps swinging punches and eventually he gives up. He then demands that I go in. As does his mates. :shock:

I oblige. I figure I am not going to punch on at someone else's local especially since I am in his country. So I go in and leave them to their "epic" surf. I don't think physical violence over a wave is ever worth it.

But I have to say, two days and two incidents with crazy Portugese locals. Not boding well for the rest of the week. :lol:

Now, I am a patient surfer and have traveled a lot and know my place. But ffs the crew I have surfed with so far are not the full quid and have no surf etiquette whatsoever. Never before have I seen such craziness. Three or four will paddle for each waves, no one sits out sets ... it is anarchy in the water. And it's not the tourists causing all the chaos but the locals. The world is upside down :P

Tomorrow I am off back to bodysurfing the ledge.

I love Portugal :lol:

Let's hope things improve :D Alternatively, I might go for an incident each day and report in :lol:
Just keep those racist tendencies at arms length. :? :lol: :mrgreen:
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 am

weird hey, I've never ever been hassled by anyone while surfing in Portugal

don't let them ruin your trip clif! they seem Silly.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:44 am

Clif - keep those stories coming. Great reading, just don't get your head punched. :shock:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:52 am

Wear a black armband and say your mum died :idea:

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:46 pm

Haha I was in Peniche/Baleal last year. And got a random job at a German Surf School.

The surf culture in Europe really is hillarious...the surf instructors were all German..and only a few of them could actually surf, yet they had like 50 german guests at a time learning to surf. All they did was throw the learners out in the worst part of the beach where there was a strong rip and sizey close outs, and yet 50 m down was a perfect little kiddies corner. The 'instructors' sat out the back and left the beginners totally to their own devices.

The surf scene is weird, random, and kooky.

The whole time I was there supertubos had a nasty side shore wind hitting it (with the fish smell) and was basically closing. Also I never seemd to see any chicks out, only to realise that no one goes out until about 2am... haha FAIL!

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 pm

I know where your coming from Cliff, had the same thing happen to me surfing one of the Lisbon beachies. The local was a dead set try hard who had the kit but couldnt surf for shiit. Its probably due to the mass pommy invasion of portugal, during summer and autumn.

Mind you, the spanish are worse! we were threatened with a speargun and chased off with rocks at one of the south fueteventura spots. So I put the break on wannasurf, you know, just to show my appreciation :twisted:

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Squidlips wrote: So I put the break on wannasurf, you know, just to show my appreciation :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:06 pm

evil man squid. :evil: :lol: speargun :shock:

and lessormore i think it has to do with the local culture, a particular crew at coxos, and as squid writes, being the end of summer and they've been frustrated.

i will report in with images later today.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:52 pm

what paper are you presenting at the conference, clif? an abstract of yours will always be as well received here as surf pics, you know!

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:12 pm

Here you go Al :lol:

In this paper I offer a case study of mobile communication and migration in contemporary Australia. Migration has been a decisive factor in the constitution of contemporary Australian society, especially since World War II. Australia now has a very high proportion of its population, born from overseas parents, and speaking a language other than English at home. In the 1970s, Australia adopted multiculturalism as an official Federal government policy, and while this has been controversial (and more recently been de-emphasised), media has played an important part in how this operates in everyday life. Thus far, however, research has focused upon newspapers, television, and radio and migrants — with only some limited studies on the Internet. There has been little work on migrants and mobiles — yet anecdotal evidence suggests that, especially for new migrants, mobile communication plays an important role in how they negotiate new cultural dynamics. Accordingly, in this paper I explore what has been theorized as “everyday multiculturalism”, and how mobiles play a crucial role in this development.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Written in a ficto-critical style?