fast waves

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Re: fast waves

Post by daryl » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:44 pm

^
I only coverted that
SAsurfa wrote:Yes Darryl, but here is Longy's maths...

Speed = squareroot ( 10x 13 ) = 11.4

Now that's 11.4 m/s

Not 11.4 knots as he has said :shock:

11.4 m/s converted to knots is 22knots

See what I'm getting at...
slight detail mere factor of around 22kph compared to 401 kt = 0.51444 ms-1
Because I think in mph or kilometres per hour,
I converted 11.4m/s to kph:
11.4x3600=41kph (somehow this turned into 40kph before, just to keep this confusing).
This is similar, converting 11.4 knots to kps:
11.4kt(.51444m/s per knot)x3600=21kph (somehow this turned into 22kph before, just to keep this confusing)
Agreed Craig, they aren't the same, still there's something missing in my thinking, apples and oranges, between converting m/s to knots, and a connection with Longi's last post where he's talking 22knots and 40 knots,
LONGINUS wrote: Okay maybe this is a better way to explain it. So using the simple shallow water equation that SA has used, you get a 'speed' for a theoretical given 'point' where the depth is uniform for the entire 'wavelength'. The reason you can use this formula for tsunamis in the open ocean is that their wavelengths are so long that everywhere is effectively 'shallow water' for them.

The problem in trying to use a simple formula for a breaking wave is that the wavelength is likely to be laid over a vastly altering depth profile and gradient. Incredibly steep ramp up from the 200m contour to a few feet at Teahupoo, far less gradual in your average beachbreak. Thats why those two waves look very different, the exact same period and height of swell will break several times faster at Teahupoo than it would at Manly.

So in fact, going back to our example at Manly, both answers are correct. somewhere on that wavelength, the 'wave' is travelling at both 22 knots (closer to the shore) and 40 knots (out the back before it has slowed and broken). So we are looking for a simple 'rule of thumb' to give us some guidance here, nothing more.
and the surfology quote which is what's below, it's about: swell period, ocean depth and wave height:
surfology wrote:# Swell period and ocean depth. The depth at which the waves begin to feel the ocean floor is one-half the wavelength between wave crests. Wavelength and swell period are directly relative, so we can use the swell period to calculate the exact depth at which the waves will begin to feel the ocean floor. The formula is simple: take the number of seconds between swells, square it, and then multiply by 2.56. The result will equal the depth the waves begin to feel the ocean floor. A 20-second swell will begin to feel the ocean floor at 1,024 feet of water (20 x 20 = 400. And then 400 x 2.56 = 1,024 feet deep). In some areas along California, that's almost 10 miles offshore. An 18-second wave will feel the bottom at 829 feet deep; a 16-second wave at 656 feet; a 14-second wave at 502 feet; a 12-second wave at 367 feet; a 10-second wave at 256 feet; an eight-second wave at 164 feet; a six-second wave at 92 feet and so on. As noted above, longer period swells are affected by the ocean floor much more than short-period swells. For that reason, we call long-period swells ground swells (generally 12 seconds or more). We call short-period swells wind swells (11 seconds or less) because they are always generated by local winds and usually can't travel more than a few hundred miles before they decay. Long-period ground swells (especially 16 seconds or greater) have the ability to wrap much more into a surf spot, sometimes 180 degrees, while short-period wind swells wrap very little because they can't feel the bottom until it's too late.

# Shoaling. When waves approach shallower water near shore, their lower reaches begin to drag across the ocean floor, and the friction slows them down. The wave energy below the surface of the ocean is pushed upward, causing the waves to increase in wave height. The longer the swell period, the more energy that is under the water. This means that long-period waves will grow much more than short-period waves. A 3-foot wave with a 10-second swell period may only grow to be a 4-foot breaking wave, while a 3-foot wave with a 20-second swell period can grow to be a 15-foot breaking wave (more than five times its deep-water height depending on the ocean floor bathymetry). As the waves pass into shallower water, they become steeper and unstable as more and more energy is pushed upward, finally to a point where the waves break in water depth at about 1.3 times the wave height. A 6-foot wave will break in about 8 feet of water. A 20-foot wave in about 26 feet of water. A wave traveling over a gradual sloping ocean floor will become a crumbly, slow breaking wave. While a wave traveling over a steep ocean floor, such as a reef, will result in a faster, hollower breaking wave. As the waves move into shallower water, the speed and the wavelength decrease (the waves get slower and move closer together), but the swell period remains the same.
Last edited by daryl on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:07 pm

SAsurfa wrote:I think you are getting mixed up here Longinus in talking about when waves start to feel the bottom and when they actually break. Waves roughly break in water 1/3 of its height.
OK, I'm calling this into question now.

Craig, I have read in every discussion and every forum relating to waves breaking, that would be 1.3 times it's height, not 1/3rd.

Hope you come back to clarify.

How are those 2-3 footers at longy going. :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:47 pm

that's my understanding too, 1.3 not 1/3rd.
Though I learnt it the other way around, that waves start to break when their height is around 0.8 of the water depth. Almost the same.

And it's influenced by slope, because it's all about when the circular wave energy system runs into bottom friction (not feeling the bottom, but actually slowing it down markedly) and it falls over.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Ah whoops, yep you are right guys it's 1.3 :oops:

And the one day a southerly swell doesn't rock up the whole realsurf crew are out surfing and having a get together :(

You get some good waves over the last couple of days?

I had some great fun at a protected northern beaches corner yesterday. Peaky, wedgey 3-4ft lefts and clean :wink: Tomorrow looks good as well, and Wednesday, and.... this spring rocks!!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:16 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Ah whoops, yep you are right guys it's 1.3 :oops:
And you should be embarassed.
SAsurfa wrote:And the one day a southerly swell doesn't rock up the whole realsurf crew are out surfing and having a get together :(
The one day! The one day! You mean to tell me that the Friday in question was one of the few examples of you getting it wrong?????????????????

We just happened to base the whole thing around what was always an optimistic call, which was confirmed repeatedly!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd hope you were embarassed.
SAsurfa wrote:You get some good waves over the last couple of days?
Should have got out but 2' onshore mush just doesn't do it for me.
SAsurfa wrote: Peaky, wedgey 3-4ft lefts and clean
Alright you. Now go and find Iggy's call-o-meter and check the definitions of 3 to 4 ft, you mongrel bastard.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:27 pm

^^^^^ Bad day sifting through Resumes Old's? :P
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Haha, easy head high sets rolling through with some bigger bombs where I was surfing! Not saying where though.

Maroubra isn't especially receptive to NE swells :p

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:52 am

SAsurfa wrote: Please make sure you get your facts right before posting this kind of stuff all over the internet :shock:
8)
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 am

jimmy1501 wrote:^^^^^ Bad day sifting through Resumes Old's? :P
Bit of an in-joke there Jimmy.

Mate, I haven't looked through resumes for years. :D

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:03 pm

oldman wrote:
jimmy1501 wrote:^^^^^ Bad day sifting through Resumes Old's? :P
Bit of an in-joke there Jimmy.

Mate, I haven't looked through resumes for years. :D
nay ya cnuts, just chuck 'em downstairs if any make it they get the job.

Always seemed no-one looked at cv's, and hell help you if you haven't got :roll: Australian :roll: references,
to the gutter with you mate :x cnuts :x

fcuken country where you can go from a distinguished visiting researcher to labourer/hocker/doorman in a few easy years.

Nope, bet yaz - here I refer to your compadres, Olds - don't look at resumes

When I did do interviews, some responses were wild, for example
we've never heard of your university
accompanied by snide comments which I've blocked out,
or,
this was about the only decent as in DECENT response,
that i was second choice, but they had someone from overseas with more, better or something, qualifications.

Yaers ago I got a ripper job and the recruiter said it was because Iwas there in person,
pointing her arm toward a huge pile of resumes...

Here it seems they'd knock you out for not having the right number of pages,
and to my face to comment on :roll: my :roll: degree that it wasn't something,
went through shit having it accredited locally,
noticed somwhere the immgration requirements matched mine,
so that means you can migrate here with slightly lesser qualifications than mine for the same position, get a job and I can't because magically I'm not qualified WTF WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFF
but no-ooooooooooooo,
these clowns know better :x it's either rigged or fcuked one or the other,
:roll: I :roll: don't get it.

Still don't get what Longi's on about either, i came up with those numbers to show the difference between 11.4m/s and 11.4knots,
and he's got the same numbers out in the bay
daryl wrote: Because I think in mph or kilometres per hour,
I converted 11.4m/s to kph:
11.4x3600=41kph (somehow this turned into 40kph before, just to keep this confusing).
and inshore
SAsurfa wrote:Yes Darryl, but here is Longy's maths...

Speed = squareroot ( 10x 13 ) = 11.4

Now that's 11.4 m/s

Not 11.4 knots as he has said :shock:

11.4 m/s converted to knots is 22knots
LONGINUS wrote: at Manly, both answers are correct. somewhere on that wavelength, the 'wave' is travelling at both 22 knots (closer to the shore) and 40 knots (out the back before it has slowed and broken)
WTFWTFWTFFF

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:22 pm

daryl wrote:Always seemed no-one looked at cv's, and hell help you if you haven't got :roll: Australian :roll: references,
to the gutter with you mate :x cnuts :x
Gawd help me, hope I haven't offended you too Daryl. Seem to be stepping on people's toes today, just like every other day.

I just meant that I don't work in recruitment any more. :oops:

Used to do a lot of that, and was conscientiously thorough and fair, IMO.

Academia is an absolute bitch of a world. I don't know why, been around it for 14 years and still don't comprehend it, I don't think anyone does really.

I tend to fall back on the words of that great horse's arse,

"University politics is vicious precisely because the stakes are so small." (Henry Kissinger)

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:42 pm

No offense,
I'll try and think of something offensive for the boogey section.

Don't know how to offend deliberately.

It was directed against recruitment,
and seeing the ginormous overhead of admin staff who cull the not so precious,
maybe it is time to step away.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 pm

salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com