Form or Function?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Form or Function?

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:04 am

Well, as Carroll correctly identified in another thread, this is part of a larger trend for not just vicious downsizing of length but alot bolder and more agressive bottom contours.....conceivably based on Savitskies laws about planing surfaces ad the realisation by KS that the modern shortboard is a very inefficient planing device.
Whether he can convince the judges of that seems almost immaterial now....the weight of experimentation is making the ASP look very antiquated.
I've got some footage of Dan Thomson riding a 5'4" by 17 by 21/8 quad at Lennox Point that makes that thing of Coles look like a white Asian-made mini-mal. i'll try and post it up today if I get a chance.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:08 pm

steve shearer wrote:Well, as Carroll correctly identified in another thread, this is part of a larger trend for not just vicious downsizing of length but alot bolder and more agressive bottom contours.....conceivably based on Savitskies laws about planing surfaces ad the realisation by KS that the modern shortboard is a very inefficient planing device.
Whether he can convince the judges of that seems almost immaterial now....the weight of experimentation is making the ASP look very antiquated.
I've got some footage of Dan Thomson riding a 5'4" by 17 by 21/8 quad at Lennox Point that makes that thing of Coles look like a white Asian-made mini-mal. i'll try and post it up today if I get a chance.
indirectly condensed and quoted from P.R. Payne Expts in Fluids 17 (1994) wrote:When measuring water rise immediately in front of a planning hull…
Savitskies mean values of splashup data are 1/4 Sottorf’s and ½ Sambraus’.
Savitsky made heave or draft measurement errors, and omitted zero or negative slash-up.
Require vertical height = draft, and trim angle (w.r.t. undisturbed) water plane.
More recent studies than Sottorf (1929) or Sambraus (1936), i.e. Savitsky (1954), did not measure draft below the undisturbed water surface.
There are heaps of equations on planing, but because the trend, from 1954 on , is still to leave out data that doesn't fit, surely they can't be relied on. It's very messy science.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:25 pm

daryl wrote: It's very messy science.
Well it's not putting a man on the moon.
It's a starting point and foundation for empirical research.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:54 pm

steve shearer wrote: I've got some footage of Dan Thomson riding a 5'4" by 17 by 21/8 quad at Lennox Point that makes that thing of Coles look like a white Asian-made mini-mal. i'll try and post it up today if I get a chance.
That's interesting, I was of the thought that to go shorter you had to go wider and thicker?

Although I assume that its all about the overall distribution of volume rather than just its widest point?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 pm

OddaP wrote:
steve shearer wrote: I've got some footage of Dan Thomson riding a 5'4" by 17 by 21/8 quad at Lennox Point that makes that thing of Coles look like a white Asian-made mini-mal. i'll try and post it up today if I get a chance.
That's interesting, I was of the thought that to go shorter you had to go wider and thicker?

Although I assume that its all about the overall distribution of volume rather than just its widest point?
Yeah....every micro inch of this thing is planing surface so in effect he's pruned all the deadwood off a modern shortboard and left a highly efficient planing device. I'll try and post some pics/vid soon.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:24 pm

interesting....but cant say I understand ... :?

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Function seems second to form. i dont really understand it either, but i want to :?
signatures, finally got it covered.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Function is always my priority but every now and then it is great to get creative and shape something 'out there' and I must say I really like the way this critter looks, doubt it would go too well but still nice shaping and in the right conditions, prob lotsa fun....lethal looking creation and the Japs will but them for sure...... 8)

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:53 pm

steve shearer wrote:
daryl wrote: It's very messy science.
Well it's not putting a man on the moon.
It's a starting point and foundation for empirical research.
Well start at the right point, not with Stavitsky which is my point.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 pm

steve shearer wrote:Very functional but holy fcuk that is one dangerous looking surfboard.
Maybe a form of population control if it catches on?
on what

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:27 pm

salty wrote:Yeh, somthing like this Daz

int[] get_slope(float Xa, float Xb, float Ya, float Yb) {
dX = (Xa - Xb)
dY = (Ya - Yb)
lcm = (dX,dY)
int[] slope = [2]
slope[0] = int(dX*lcm)
slope[1] = int(dY*lcm)
return slope
}
neanderthal

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:53 pm

steve shearer wrote: Yeah....every micro inch of this thing is planing surface so in effect he's pruned all the deadwood off a modern shortboard and left a highly efficient planing device. I'll try and post some pics/vid soon.
So a similar concept to the evolution of the tow board, or maybe borrowing from the world of tow?

I am curious, as if it goes like the clappers once on the plane, how, given its (apparent) lack of width (17) and thinness (2) you can paddle it into waves?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Yeah, I know.
Very parallel outline so very good for it's size ie width under the paddle area makes a big diff.
EPS, epoxy ....poss. more buoyancy.
Have a look at the outline and you'll what I mean.
Dan is a highly skilled surfer of CT standard.
Reckon I would need to scale up those dims quite a bit.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 am

OddaP wrote:
steve shearer wrote: Yeah....every micro inch of this thing is planing surface so in effect he's pruned all the deadwood off a modern shortboard and left a highly efficient planing device. I'll try and post some pics/vid soon.
So a similar concept to the evolution of the tow board, or maybe borrowing from the world of tow?

I am curious, as if it goes like the clappers once on the plane, how, given its (apparent) lack of width (17) and thinness (2) you can paddle it into waves?[/quote

remember the Japanese aren't the largest of fellows...

although i have seen my fair share of fatties out