BOB MCTAVISH PATENTS FIN DESIGN

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

aaronn
barnacle

BOB MCTAVISH PATENTS FIN DESIGN

Post by aaronn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:16 am

was a mention of it on last night's australian story [abc1]. bit of info @
http://bobmctavish.blogspot.com/
as to his quad theory of center fin causes drag - have heard it all before, no? any top board designer or fin foiler can overcome the minimal amount of drag caused by a center fin in a traditional 3 fin configuration. simon anderson didn't call his 3 fin set up the THRUSTER by accident

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Re: BOB MCTAVISH PATENTS FIN DESIGN

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:58 am

that theory seems to make sense ... however if you are riding a big fat mal or over sized fat fish which goes like a slug anyway , why would anyone care less ... :idea: :?: unless you are competing in mal contests I suppose ...

I'm not trying to hang sh!t on anyone for riding those boards ... go for ya life and ride whatever you want ... lets face it there ain't much missing from the line up these days ... but I do find it an over-reaching ideal to talk about performance issues of boards of that ilk ... it's a bit like researching tyre selction so a mini bus corners better ... doesn't seem worth the trouble really ...

if your board is wide enough that you need to move your back foot from side to side to redistribute weight so you can do a bottom turn or cut back (as stated in that piece) it is hardly a board designed for performance ... I notice it didn't go on to discuss the issue of having to move your back foot around while tearing the arse out of a pitching lip or launching into and aerial off a section :idea:

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:02 pm

I watched that show last night too. I got the impression that the fat, rich guy (whatever his name is) got the fin patent for Mctavish without his knowledge.

It sounded to me like Mctavish didn't really care either way about the patent but as the fat, rich guy had been burnt by patent issues before he was all for it.

Just my take on it....

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:25 pm

Stupid theory, I've got a size 13 foot so that would mean my fins would pretty much on the rail if they were moved accordingly.

Agree with Surfin Turf, if you're riding a McTavish or Geoff McCoy, you shouldn't be caring about performance. If you want better cutbacks, get a better board for f*** sake!

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:54 pm

^^^ Agree, regardless of foot size it is a weird theory. What they need to do is get the rails right: Hard edge = lift, Soft edge = drag 8)
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:I watched that show last night too. I got the impression that the fat, rich guy (whatever his name is) got the fin patent for Mctavish without his knowledge.

It sounded to me like Mctavish didn't really care either way about the patent but as the fat, rich guy had been burnt by patent issues before he was all for it.

Just my take on it....
i.e. fat rich guy who successfully sued microsoft because he had a patent and got $356 mill :shock: :shock:

Who knows fellas maybe old Bob knows more about surfboards than you think.
Funny how Simon came up with the major design feature without promoting himself as a design guru.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:52 am

is "technologist" even a word :?: Would somebody schooled in technology even call themselves a "technologist" as per on Mctavish's website? :?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:28 am

dinosaur wrote:
Clif wrote:is "technologist" even a word :?: Would somebody schooled in technology even call themselves a "technologist" as per on Mctavish's website? :?
Is it something to do with being a creationist?
I remember Joe Larkin used to call himself a "grassologist" coz he mowed lawns at one time.
Hmmm? Surfin' our resident grassologist. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:38 pm

TrevG wrote:
dinosaur wrote:
Clif wrote:is "technologist" even a word :?: Would somebody schooled in technology even call themselves a "technologist" as per on Mctavish's website? :?
Is it something to do with being a creationist?
I remember Joe Larkin used to call himself a "grassologist" coz he mowed lawns at one time.
Hmmm? Surfin' our resident grassologist. 8)

that's turfoligist these days thankyou ... with a associate diploma in fertology majoring in triminology, and a certificate in mowistics ...

I do think cliff is just being a little critisitacal and too particularistional about whether some words that are quite commonistic are actually existatious ... :idea:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:50 pm

An evolutionist gets by fine without redundant terminology.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:57 pm

^^^but there's no fun in that. :D
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 am

Surfin Turf wrote: that's turfoligist these days thankyou ... with a associate diploma in fertology majoring in triminology, and a certificate in mowistics ...
... and a certificate of attendance from the TAFE of Hard Knocks? :D

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:04 am

dUg wrote:... the TAFE of Hard Knocks ...
the most credible qualification one can have in my opinion ... :idea:

very hard to achieve though because the criteria is common sense, not academic prowess … :wink:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:21 pm

I guess Bob might fit into the-left skool in year 9 and made his grammar up as he needed it skool of labelling.
What about the guy on the new inventors who calls himself a futurist :shock:
I thought that went out with Marinetti and Mussolini.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Beanpole wrote:I guess Bob might fit into the-left skool in year 9 and made his grammar up as he needed it skool of labelling.
What about the guy on the new inventors who calls himself a futurist :shock:
I thought that went out with Marinetti and Mussolini.
Not quite. I thought the yankee neocons school of dogma had it down pat. (the new american century etc)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:04 pm

I thought the neocons were old school :D

Anyone had some experience with the new epoxy boards McTavish is making up in Byron?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?