Who has right of way?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Boson

Who has right of way?

Post by Boson » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:38 pm

I thought I had the rules all figured out 'til I saw this clip.

http://www.surfvids.com.au/index.php?pa ... d=432#v432

Who gets right of way? On the one hand, the chick is first to her feet, but only slightly. On the other hand, the guy's closer to the peak. At what point are two people no longer considered to be "taking off at the same time"?

Curious to tally up the responses.

jaytee

Re: Who has right of way?

Post by jaytee » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:19 pm

i'd say the bloke has it, the chick is retarded.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Old bloke is on the inside. Its obviously his wave.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:43 pm

yup, she shouldn't have gone

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Yeah she really got off on that in the white water..
You'd say at least WTF to a guy, twhat can you say to that?
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Grab the nose and place her back on the shoulder as you accelerate. That would be the best option. The only other avenue is to forget it because neither of them were going to make the next section with her there.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 pm

What if the girl had watched the guy paddle for, and not make, the last 4 waves?

If I see a bloke who is struggling to paddle into them, I'll always take off, look back to see if he made it, then assess whether to peel off or stay on the wave.

Then again, I tend to surf around some real old farts. :roll:

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Animal_Chin wrote: Then again, I tend to surf around some real old farts. :roll:
Friends :?: Contemporaries?
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:11 pm

Baba Roy clones.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
Animal_Chin wrote:
Then again, I tend to surf around some real old farts. :roll:

Well.............what else would ya expect at a mal haven like Point Impossible :?:
^^truth

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 pm

There was an article in yesterday's Manly Daily about the proposal to errect sign's at Manly and other popular beaches outlining "surf etiquette and the unwritten laws of the surf " ... there were some quotes from people saying that it will reduce surf rage and how beginners and tourists are the cause of problems because they don't know the rules ...

after reading this my natural instinct to gnaw my leg off kicked in because for me, simply having grown up in an era where the "un-written rulles" were followed or you had the sh!t beaten out of you etc., it is hard for me to understand how we got to this point in time where the surf is so full of knucklebrains that we need signs up ...

to me it's all a bit too simple to worry about signs and in fact I like that surfing doesn't come with an actual rule book such as a golf course or other sports and that you cant get kicked out of surfing for breaking rules ... you can get punched in the face or verbally abused but you can still show up the next day for another surf ... :idea:
sure I get p!ssed off with the knuckleheads, beginners, tourist etc that the article talked about , but you learn to work around it all or go somewhere to avoid it ... what choice do you have anyway, it's an unstoppable tide of stupidity ...

the article went on to quote a few people who stated that the surf schools taught the rules and etiquette which I reckon is a great thing ... and another guy said that some surf shops have some posters up pointing out the rules etc. which I also see as a positive ...

the article also made a point about other more experienced surfers educating new surfers on the rules ... apart from the fact that I hate everyone and other than verbal abuse I find it extremely difficult to talk to other surfers, I really could not live with myself if I started paddling up to other surfers and preaching to them between waves ... too f'ken wanky for my liking, I may as well try and sell them some tupperware while I'm at it ... :|

I just don't like the sign idea ... I really worry that one day I'm going to show up at the beach to find a crowd kooks gathered around a sign reading and discussing the rules of the surf and I will do something that will put me in jail for a considerable time, thus depriving my wife and daughters of the funding they rely on me for ...

so, as much as I cringed while reading this article my better judgement did tell me that there were plenty of valid points, despite the fact that 'I' want surfing to remain un-complicated .... this rant is not about saying it was better back in the day, but back in the day everyone knew how it worked and if you acted like you didn't and broke the rules, everyone knew it was bullsh!t ... nowdays with surfing being an accessible fad for many there is obviously a need for education evident by the enormous amount of clueless knobs floundering about out there ... but I'll be f'cked if I'm going to support signs or if I'm going to start preaching the gospel of etiquette between waves ... and the first person who tries that on me will get an awefully rude shock ... :idea:

:mrgreen:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Though I am a few years off reaching ST's zen state w.r.t crowd control, I mostly agree with his sentiment. :)

Watch the chick in the video - there is not one nanosecond where she looks to her left - it is utterly beyond her comprehension that anyone could be deeper than she is. I doubt he would have made the section either... BUT... he'll never know. I see this a lot - this "cockiness" - that a very basic level of surf-schooling affords. I have watched instructors out at my local calling kids waaaaay down the line into waves as I or one of the other regulars races through the fast first section. They are teaching kids that it's OK to go if someone is far enough away from them... despite the fact they will be on them in 3 - 4 seconds. I blast them for it... but it's mainly because I don't want to see some poor 13 y.o. kid impaled on the nose of my board. Next week there's a different instructor... and we're back to square one. :roll:

Yes, maybe surf schools are teaching surf ettiquette, but common sense seems absent from the course curriculum. :cry:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Perhaps the trouble is that most surfing "rules" are open to mega interpretation depending on the state of the lineup at the time.

Writing 'em on a sign can be a bit misleading.

Like I can just imagine surf'n'turf's face if during a sessions out at Cooks Tce or wherever, some Danish backpacker started indignantly quoting "the rules" to him and how Surf'n had just broken "the rules" that are clearly written on the sign over there by paddling to his inside, therefore "snaking" him. You bastard surf'n'turf!

Or people demanding a "turn" out the Peak, or at Northy. "The sign says we have to share! But you horrible men keep taking all the set waves! I will sue you!"

Yes of course you will.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm

in my even more kook days than now when i'd get called off, it bacame pretty obvious pretty quick, just a matter of remembering and looking right left right behind left right left oh darn

This lot are only taking account of first up, not who's in position
Surfin Turf wrote:There was an article in yesterday's Manly Daily about the proposal to errect sign's at Manly and other popular beaches outlining "surf etiquette and the unwritten laws of the surf " ... there were some quotes from people saying that it will reduce surf rage and how beginners and tourists are the cause of problems because they don't know the rules ...

after reading this my natural instinct to gnaw my leg off kicked in because for me, simply having grown up in an era where the "un-written rulles" were followed or you had the sh!t beaten out of you etc., it is hard for me to understand how we got to this point in time where the surf is so full of knucklebrains that we need signs up ...

so, as much as I cringed while reading this article my better judgement did tell me that there were plenty of valid points, despite the fact that 'I' want surfing to remain un-complicated .... this rant is not about saying it was better back in the day, but back in the day everyone knew how it worked and if you acted like you didn't and broke the rules, everyone knew it was bullsh!t ... nowdays with surfing being an accessible fad for many there is obviously a need for education evident by the enormous amount of clueless knobs floundering about out there ... but I'll be f'cked if I'm going to support signs or if I'm going to start preaching the gospel of etiquette between waves ... and the first person who tries that on me will get an awefully rude shock ... :idea:

why do they think they were unwritten in the first place :evil: they'd been written up quick enough if anyone wanted
Last edited by daryl on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm

iggy wrote:the chick was in the wrong for sure..

and as for the 'who's right or wrong - per who got up first vs who's got the inside position'
>> well that's pretty straight forward on a ruler edged point break, reef or sandbank..

the ambiguity creeps in when it's shifting peaks that build and carry for ages over a long distance before finally unloading..
like > what happens if you've been sitting 15 metres further out the back and happen to snag a freak bomb set and start striding into it for a few seconds as it's building, then someone sitting slightly inside your position and much further in towards the beach decides to swing around at the last split second under the lip and call it their's after you've already gained entry into the face??
i'd say the guy sitting 15 metres further out striding in early but a shave wider would have the priority over some last second johnny come lately :lol:
Agreed Igs. But then comes the SUP question (and the mals if you're on a shortboard). :twisted:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:There was an article in yesterday's Manly Daily about the proposal to errect sign's at Manly and other popular beaches outlining "surf etiquette and the unwritten laws of the surf " ... there were some quotes from people saying that it will reduce surf rage and how beginners and tourists are the cause of problems because they don't know the rules ...

to me it's all a bit too simple to worry about signs and in fact I like that surfing doesn't come with an actual rule book such as a golf course or other sports and that you cant get kicked out of surfing for breaking rules ... you can get punched in the face or verbally abused but you can still show up the next day for another surf ... :idea:
sure I get p!ssed off with the knuckleheads, beginners, tourist etc that the article talked about , but you learn to work around it all or go somewhere to avoid it ... what choice do you have anyway, it's an unstoppable tide of stupidity ...

the article went on to quote a few people who stated that the surf schools taught the rules and etiquette which I reckon is a great thing ... and another guy said that some surf shops have some posters up pointing out the rules etc. which I also see as a positive ...

the article also made a point about other more experienced surfers educating new surfers on the rules ... apart from the fact that I hate everyone and other than verbal abuse I find it extremely difficult to talk to other surfers, I really could not live with myself if I started paddling up to other surfers and preaching to them between waves ... too f'ken wanky for my liking, I may as well try and sell them some tupperware while I'm at it ... :|

I just don't like the sign idea ... I really worry that one day I'm going to show up at the beach to find a crowd kooks gathered around a sign reading and discussing the rules of the surf and I will do something that will put me in jail for a considerable time, thus depriving my wife and daughters of the funding they rely on me for ...

^^ loads of surfers have lived near the ocean for they whole lives.
learning to surf may be something you can do later in life, and some do and stick with it.
surfing and an understanding of the ocean are 2 different things :?:
its easy for me to see whats hapening in the line up, like a second nature. what i have noticed is the people that can surf a little but have not gained some kind of awareness in the water, i think this is dangerous.

Surfin, best thing is when the swell starts rolling in over 4ft we pretty much got it too ourselves bar the under experienced that will probably need rescuing.

i also dont get why surfers do not understand right of way, even when the peaks moving about. you watch, you look, you observe.
i started surfing 75', the only people you dropped in on were your mates as a grom on the shoreys.(party waves)
if you were known as a surfer that dropped in, ya might as well be a lepper.
i know a bloke that HASNT BEEN A TURD for 20yrs, yet every now again when we are surfing together someone will bring it up, he was shocking would take off under the lip just to knock ya off. he'd do onreefs aswell.
if you disrespect the ocean enough it will bite :twisted:

Signs, who will read them :?:quote

Surfin, did my lawn on sunday. bit early but with the warmer weather ive jumped in(shirleys)
signatures, finally got it covered.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:37 pm

iggy wrote:
turtle wrote:when the swell starts rolling in over 4ft we pretty much got it too ourselves
that's because when Umina's 4 foot, everywhere else would be baking at a solid triple to quadruple overhead (hence no point in surfing Umina) :lol: :wink:

^^ he he ha ha, i workin on a comeback :lol: Qoute
signatures, finally got it covered.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:56 pm

turtle wrote: best thing is when the swell starts rolling in over 4ft we pretty much got it too ourselves
yeah ... agree, even if it's crowded and over 4ft you get to share with only a few guys who are getting in the right spot and getting waves ...
turtle wrote: did my lawn on sunday. bit early but with the warmer weather ive jumped in(shirleys)
nice ... good timing actually due to the hotter temp and continued with a few warm days ... it tricks the turf into thinking it's time to make a move ... shirleys is good at this time 'cause it's slow release and wont be too harsh on the roots that have been dormant ... wait till late sept and hit it with choock poop and it will go hard ... :mrgreen: