raps for tc

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: raps for tc

Post by dUg » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Maybe slightly digressing, but did anyone see TC on The Squiz ( largely unwatched SBS Sports Quiz show ) with Charli Delaney a few weeks ago? She laughed at all his jokes and was all over him. I reckon he was in there...

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:19 pm

dUg wrote:Maybe slightly digressing, but did anyone see TC on The Squiz ( largely unwatched SBS Sports Quiz show ) with Charli Delaney a few weeks ago? She laughed at all his jokes and was all over him. I reckon he was in there...
Hi Fives all round? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Sorry I just reckon the "new direction" of surfing isn't power surfing. Yes they are pushing things way past the abilities of the above mentioned surfers, no worries about that but I kind of like the ugly bit of all those surfers styles you mentioned. Its a bit like comparing a guitar virtuoso to AC/DC or the Ramones.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 pm

power surfing, mm, I can only think of occ burying the board to the stringer from nose to tail and still dragging the bloody thing around :shock: bloody amazing, tc at pipe. Joel fitz doing a beautiful soul arch in a extremely critical bottom turn, but with todays surfing I look at the skill level and just sometimes sit in amazement, its bloody stunning stuff to watch, and no I cannot do a aerial :oops:

Love Bob Dylan, amazing talent and one in a million, but I do understand why some may not like him, hey each to their own. I did not mind his later stuff but my favorite album by far was Highway 61, lost all my albums in a house fire and never did get to replace them :(
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:59 am

dinosaur wrote: A fully rounded surfer will know when to yield, to let the wave take over.

Hail the New Race.

Holy hell, move over Josef Goebels we've got a new minister for information.

Bit late to hail the new race : Davey Miller, Archy, Pottz and then the new school are all bald and not that far off the Nursing home.

Taj is on the wrong side of 30 and definitely no power surfer.

Gotta pay Dane and Jordy though Bru.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:30 am

dane ? you mean dane kealoha of course

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Definitely not writing everything post slater off but.......was watching a thing about Bells and everyone interviewed reckoned Occy had the perfect style for the wave and that no one surfed it better. I remember similar raves about him surfing Jefferies.
The thing I don't like about people who developed their style on thrusters is the little turns they do to set up their major moves. You know those little bottom turns they do?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Beanpole wrote:Definitely not writing everything post slater off but.......was watching a thing about Bells and everyone interviewed reckoned Occy had the perfect style for the wave and that no one surfed it better. I remember similar raves about him surfing Jefferies.
The thing I don't like about people who developed their style on thrusters is the little turns they do to set up their major moves. You know those little bottom turns they do?
Yep. Double bottom turns. The set up turn before the turn. Par for the course it seems these days. Sometimes wish i was in the habit of doing them because they sure as shit seem to help the world's best get around sections / set up for huge hacks etc... I admit they can look a bit funky turn after turn (and i can't really do them) but they do the job. ASP judging seems to prefer the smooth drawn single "arc" style bottom turn (if you believe the interviews) but it doesn't appear to reflect in the scores much. The single committed well timed turn does look better IMO. However, Bruce Irons et al can't be all wrong, can they?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Surely the aerial surfing of Dane, Owen Jordy et -al is the ultimate extension of power, instead of filtering off all that speed they use it to project up and out and then produce moves that blow minds, the kids are spinning 720's and when the urge takes em they can lay rail like nobodys business it's just they don't chase it like surfers past did cause these kids are about progression. I watched Jordy Smith at good sized Sunset beach a couple years ago and that is a wave that demands power to simply move across it and the Kid had plenty.
I reckon the next world title will be the last of the now old generation (Parko,Mick, Kelly etc) and surfing is about to go through one of those quantum leaps in performance that mark the eras, the change has already happened at the beach and when it appears in the confines of competition is only bound by Perry Hatchet and the surfers reps who set the pro judging criteria. With the recent attack on this establishment I figure the wind of change is howling through the ASP much to all viewers of pro surfing and the new kids benefit.

Fcuk I do love a well placed full rail carve applied by a skilled surfer but it could be the last buffalo of the so called "power surfing" generation.