Who is in a boardriders club?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

robzig
Local

Who is in a boardriders club?

Post by robzig » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:54 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Who is in a boardriders club?

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Me, founding member of my local boardriders' club Newport Plus back in 1975

Seemed like a good idea at the time (!), surfing was way more of a scattered sport and we needed to declare ourselves as a group, partly in order to grow as surfers, partly in order to protect ourselves against the last shreds of the heroin lifestyle plague of the early/mid70s.

The club is way different now, as it should be, I don't go in the contests any more but enjoy watching 'em and judging occasionally.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm

May join south maroubra board riders next year with my son, mainly for him to keep in contact with some of his school friends and to help him get into his surfing.

Which would be ironic, in that I never saw myself joining much of anything any more. The things your children make you do!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Da Big Kahuna wrote:Funnily enough, Im a founding member of a club myself and started it way back when I read an earlier post!

Seemed like a good idea at the time cos knee creeping and arze licking had reached a new level and we needed to declare ourselves as a group, partly in order to grow as sufferers, partly in order to protect ourselves against the self hero worship that plagues a certain member.

the Nick Carrol Bored club.
Membership drive NOW ON!
lame.jpg
lame.jpg (67.74 KiB) Viewed 5115 times

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:15 pm

robzig wrote:Hey Nick, how long did it take to establish itself? Hard work or self perpetuating?
Ah it took about five minutes to form and wasn't real hard work because none of us had a job. But it wasn't self perpetuating; the club flamed out a couple of times when the membership all went nuts at the same time, and we were shit at recruiting grommets etc. Much better now because there's grown-ups involved.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:54 pm

I was a founding member of the Currumbin Boardriders' Club, probably 1964 or 5. A local builder name of Roley Daniels was instrumental in setting it up as he had several kids who surfed.
He was also one of the founding fathers of the Palm Beach - Currumbin VFL (as it was then) club.

Been promising myself I'd join Caloundra Mal Club. Really must get around to it............... :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

entropy

Post by entropy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:14 pm

Personally, not. I am totally ambivilant on this issue, its all about universal peace and love, each to their own - there is no right or wrong. Unless, unless, unlesss.... they ever come round the corner to ********** and put the f@rking singlets on, start the c)nting klaxon and start w*ankchopping on about "jonno needing a 7.5". Then it will be on; skulls, on poles, embeded in the reef, and all that.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 am

I Joined Reef Riders (long reef) last year.
I'd liked the idea of being in one for a while, but as I'm not particularly competitive with my surfing (or many things for that matter) and don't get a lot of water time I didn't think it was for me.
It's been fun and a good way to meet some like-minded people. My results haven't exactly set the world on fire though :lol:
As above when my boys are old enough I'd like to see them get involved too.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:22 am

RickyG wrote:I Joined Reef Riders (long reef) last year.
Joined, don’t know how many years ago for similar reasons, just like-minded idiots :D don’t compete regularly but often just go and say g’day.

Was actively involved when a friend was president but found it was always the same people doing most of the work for the annual major event, so Robz if you go down that path it is good to get the others involved often to share the load - delegate. Not much required for a month by month show up and surf effort ’cept some coloured rashies and an ability to count. :D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:30 am

ric_vidal wrote: but found it was always the same people doing most of the work for the annual major event,
Pretty much the same whatever type of club you're in.
A few "doers" make or break it.
The "doers" are a certain type of person, though.
That's not a derogatory comment either. I probably fit into that category having held many positions in motor sport clubs over the years.
And probably, subconsciously, why I haven't quite got around to joining a board club again, yet. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

3 prong
Grommet

Post by 3 prong » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:11 am

yeah was in the local for about 20 years....was alot of fun and saw the progress of several members to WCT/WQS standard,I don't see any negatives from being a member of a club.It builds friendships for life/develops your surfing ability through competition(if you accept the critisism of your peers) and can get you do things at the annual presentation that years later you remember :twisted: got married and moved house a few beaches and km's north about 4 years ago and let my membership lapse.My new local has a club and i know most of the guys from surf league etc. just haven't bothered to join as i don't have the competitive urge anymore.
Have kids and will probably get them to join when they progress from foamies in the next couple of years.I have had my kids join the clubbies(nippers) in the interim...i think the clubbies also have some positives for young kids.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:14 am

I've weighed up joining Peninsula Board Riders over the years but I don't really have the time to spare.

Things may change though when the Hatchling grows up and whether or not I spawn any more of them as it might be a good thing for us to do together
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:40 am

oldman wrote:May join south maroubra board riders next year
There's a south maroubra board riders? Christ, I should pay more attention.
Or maybe I need to wear my glasses while Im surfing :roll:
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:21 pm

drowningbitbybit wrote:There's a south maroubra board riders? Christ, I should pay more attention.
Or maybe I need to wear my glasses while Im surfing :roll:
Yeah, who'd a thunk it. Maybe you're the one they are always asking to move north.

When they are there and I want to surf I'm cursing them, but haven't had the problem for a while. Been a few contests at Maroubra recently but might have been north end boardriders, or god knows there might be a middle maroubra boardriders.

Who can keep up.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Ive been an on and off again member of the Alex Mal club for about 5 years. Didnt bother joining last year and havent bothered this year due to not surfing for a while.

Its ok, met some good people and also a few wankers who think that just because they are part of the club they get preference over everyone else during their free-surf.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:53 pm

avoca boardriders.
joined about 79/80.
pretty active for about 8yrs then tappered off.
rarley surf heats these days but still enjoy belonging to the club.
signatures, finally got it covered.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:46 am

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 53#p359053

was a member of Cronulla and Eloura bodyboard clubs for a few years back in late 80's and early 90's,
too competitive for my liking, and i wasn't any good at competition boogering :D
though did make some great mates i still know to this day
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"