Where have the forums gone?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

collnarra

Re: Where have the forums gone?

Post by collnarra » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:34 pm

I don't know why the forums have disappeared from the front page. I will ask don....

josh
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:38 am

What ever happened to realsurf videos?

I dont think we will see much of an overhaul because don has said numerous times he doesnt know to much when it comes to computers. As of now i have a direct link to these forums in my bookmarks and occasionally check the front page for the pics.

Actually come to think of it i check the pics daily and most days before a surf ill have a quick read because swellnet reporters seem to be lazy and usually all we get is two reports about narra and a photo that doesnt really tell you much at all.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:35 am

Am I missing something? On the front page I can see these links at the top of the page

[HOME NEWS FORUMS RealSurf.tv GALLERIES FITNESS NEW! Free Surf Classifieds FEEDBACK Jump to Content]

??

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:46 am

marcus_h wrote:Am I missing something? On the front page I can see these links at the top of the page

[HOME NEWS FORUMS RealSurf.tv GALLERIES FITNESS NEW! Free Surf Classifieds FEEDBACK Jump to Content]

??
yes

next to the FAQ on this page is a little orange box for RSS feeds

well thats got nothing to do with it

but on the front page there used to be links to the latest addition to forum threads

except they were always out of date by about half a day

you'd be expecting it to do what the orange RSS feed does, but you'd plop in some post from a little while back, hit or miss if it was fresh

anyway they're missing completely now

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:21 am

Hi all

I just checked the link in our top menu bar on RealSurf and it linked through okay. However, the feed from the forums to the front page that shows the latest posts has broken for some reason. I think it might be to do with a security patch we installed last week, so I'll be chasing that down.

Interesting to read the other remarks re the site generally. Not sure I have any brilliant responses. Bit of a chicken and egg thing with us when it comes to resources. If we had more we could do more, but we have to do more, to have more...

I have the greatest admiration for coastalwatch and swellnet. They're both run by hardworking and talented teams of people. We're fortunate that their respective business models are well crafted enough to deliver us great resources for free.

My guess is that in both cases the founders took on some manner of financial risk in the beginning. They're braver than I am in that regard and happily for all of us, they've both been successful.

For my part I shall continue to do my best (within the available resources) to make this site a net positive contribution that great passion in my life - surfing.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:11 am

admin wrote: Interesting to read the other remarks re the site generally. Not sure I have any brilliant responses. Bit of a chicken and egg thing with us when it comes to resources. If we had more we could do more, but we have to do more, to have more...
For my part I shall continue to do my best (within the available resources) to make this site a net positive contribution that great passion in my life - surfing.
No need to justify the RS site Don as I reckon it's fine as it is. It's a (slightly) different beast to the likes of Swellnet & Coastalwatch, though no less worthwhile. And besides, those sites don't have the RS forums. And we all know that the forums are what RS is all about. :lol: :mrgreen:

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:09 am

Good to see Forums back!
REalsurf has it's place on my daily web checks. Keep it up Don

Sveta
Grommet

Post by Sveta » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:19 am

I like all the sights, and RS is just different thats all. I find a lot of the reports are a bit hit and miss (not all the time) but i like to read them all and generate a mean prediction. but i must admit it is the forums that keep me on the sight for longer than necessary (should be working) Anyway the links back, thats why I'm writing. I don't post a lot - but geez you guys are interesting :lol:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:41 am

Post a pic of yer pins Sveta!. :D you are an east german chick, right?
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:14 pm

offshore1 wrote:Post a pic of yer pins Sveta!. :D you are an east german chick, right?
Oh really? :D *straightens tie*
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:48 pm

offshore1 wrote:Post a pic of yer pins Sveta!. :D you are an east german chick, right?
Nicht ossie und wessie, maybe russki!! Sveta Esser???

Ahem Coops; if it's Sveta Utkina you'll really get off big time!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:34 am

salty wrote:DON et al....

Trev G used to be a rally car driver and mentioned he was a member of clubs etc, and I would imagine he was a member of some Car-type forums (similar to the RS forums). I own a Celica and have done some mods to it and joined an Ozzie Celica forum (I was also a member of Old Holdens too, when I had my HR ute).

As the forums are what this site is all about and what keeps it alive, I thought I'd provide a link for you to checkout. It's the Celica forum Im a member of. This site is all about the members, their cars, their pics, car modifications, get togethers and clubs etc etc. I reckon this is the way Realsurf should go.... I'd be moddling RS off something like this site. Check it out: http://celicatech.com/

Get rid of all the shit on the front page and make it all about forums, photos, local comps.... stop trying to compete with the surf report sites like SW and CW and work on the neiche (sp?) of RS forums. It's all this site has got and should be all there is.
Some good ideas here Salty, especially in the last par.
Clubs love to have somewhere to run their news. Not sure how attractive it would be to advertisers but might be worth a try. Maybe Don and a cfew advisers (some of us) could put together and alternative Realsurf site along these lines "Realsurf Beta(?)".com
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.