Quadfather Project Board....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lard Lad
regular

Re: Quadfather Project Board....

Post by Lard Lad » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 am

deadset the limit's 6'4" now???

used to be 6'6" and I just recently ordered a 6'6" based on that limit!!! :x

oh well, 6'4"s too little for me, looks like we's driving to vicco!!!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:03 am

Lard Lad wrote:deadset the limit's 6'4" now???

used to be 6'6" and I just recently ordered a 6'6" based on that limit!!! :x

oh well, 6'4"s too little for me, looks like we's driving to vicco!!!
Yeah mate that's what the lady on the phone in the call centre said. Apparently the domestic planes (A320/321) are only able to carry a surfboard that is 1.9metres in length. Load of bullsh.it if you ask me, fcuken budget airlines. I hate them.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:40 am

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 pm

got the board off Hatchman the other day, I'll be getting it wet over the next few days...might surf the board too :roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:07 pm

surfed the green QF today, was alot of fun, not gunna carry on coz I shaped it and of course I'm gunna say it went well :roll: but I did enjoy the board, it was 3- 4 ft ... the 6'4" was bit long for me but fast and drivey...coz it felt too long, I'm gunna put some more upright and pivotty fins up front and take about 3 kgs of wax off it so it'll be a bit lighter and bit more responsive....it has had a bit of damage but mostly just depressions but it'll be a part of my quiver now as is the first traveller I did, the AquaBat, pictured together above....next traveller board plans have begun.....thanks to all who were involved in the QF project...special thanks to Hatchman for bringing it back north....cheers,
MP 8)

www.moresurfboards.com

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:51 am

oooh, whats the next traveller going to be?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:11 pm

With summer coming how about a 5'10" x 20 1/4 x 2 3/4 round tailed Critter ;)
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:41 pm

^^^^

5'10"!!!

Bloody hell we're not all 70kg or less - either that or as fit as Mick Fanning to power that through the water.

I reckon a single or twin fin is the way to go, with decent volume too so fat and slow blokes like me can ride it :D
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:03 pm

haha....this is he problem I have deciding on design and dims but no matter what I do, some will dislike it and others will enjoy it....but in saying that, when a board is there to try, then sometimes people will give it a go and be pleasantly surprised and possibly open a few minds up to other possibilities.....Kritta is the current favourite....but havent ruled out doing a Swinger or ???? 8)

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:11 pm

JET01 wrote:With summer coming how about a 5'10" x 20 1/4 x 2 3/4 round tailed Critter ;)
Or 80's styled thruster with similar dims :D

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:03 pm

mark, post a pic of the critta will ya? is it a thruster or quad?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:08 pm

fin set ups are optional on the Kritta..mostly quads so far, I have some diff ideas on what fin set ups I will do on the traveller...check out the thread called 'Flat Decks' mate.... 8)

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Hatch,

5'10"!!!

Bloody hell we're not all 70kg or less - either that or as fit as Mick Fanning to power that through the water.

I reckon a single or twin fin is the way to go, with decent volume too so fat and slow blokes like me can ride it

If you stopped bludging on that 7ft V-skate your fitness would be sweet :lol:

In all seriousness though... What's the shortest board you've tried surfing?
I'm 83kg and 5'10... those dims i mentioned should float someone around my size easily. the thickness is there and volume maintained almost all the way to the rail. From memory you're around the same size as i am but used to paddling much longer boards, either way I reckon you'll be you'll be surprised...
Not sure if Mark uses boardcad or anything like that, so I have no idea what the volume measurement would be of a critter of those dimensions. In my opinion, anything around 38L is huge for someone of around 85kg, and i don't think it would be too far off that.

If you want an idea have a look at the volumes of all the different shapes on the firewire website, i used to ride a 6'2 dominator (38L) and that was hard pretty hard to duckdive... i reckon the 6'0 would've been a better option.

but as with everything in surfing it all comes down to personal preference.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Your volume measurement is crucial.

Find your litreage(?) and work from there.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:10 pm

JET01 wrote:Hatch,

5'10"!!!

I reckon a single or twin fin is the way to go, with decent volume too so fat and slow blokes like me can ride it

If you stopped bludging on that 7ft V-skate your fitness would be sweet :lol:

In all seriousness though... What's the shortest board you've tried surfing?
I'm 83kg and 5'10... those dims i mentioned should float someone around my size easily. the thickness is there and volume maintained almost all the way to the rail. From memory you're around the same size as i am but used to paddling much longer boards, either way I reckon you'll be you'll be surprised...
Not sure if Mark uses boardcad or anything like that, so I have no idea what the volume measurement would be of a critter of those dimensions. In my opinion, anything around 38L is huge for someone of around 85kg, and i don't think it would be too far off that.

If you want an idea have a look at the volumes of all the different shapes on the firewire website, i used to ride a 6'2 dominator (38L) and that was hard pretty hard to duckdive... i reckon the 6'0 would've been a better option.

but as with everything in surfing it all comes down to personal preference.
Aye you could be right mate, dimensions you and I are pretty much line ball although I'm 88kgs and 5'10". I've ridden shorter boards before, plenty of times, but have found the 7' pretty much ideal for the waves I surf and my ability. Shortest would have been a 6'0" I think, but it would have been years ago.

It's got a bit to do with the waves I surf as well, they're not steep and bowly but kind of like big slow moving locomotives, you really need paddling speed to get onto them and the more you have to 'plough' through the water the harder this task becomes.

But yeah it's also personal preference too, basically the shorter they get the fatter I like em (surfboards not chicks :wink: ).

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:09 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MORE-Surfboard-s ... 3cb07db536

selling a few tees if anyones interested, sorry to do the sales pitch here but have had a few enquiries so thought I might just post a link, hope it works...
Did you get the tee Hatch ? forgot to ask mate, hope it fitted ???

might have to start another thread about the next board planned to travel around soon..... 8)

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:32 pm

pridmore wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MORE-Surfboard-s ... 3cb07db536

selling a few tees if anyones interested, sorry to do the sales pitch here but have had a few enquiries so thought I might just post a link, hope it works...
Did you get the tee Hatch ? forgot to ask mate, hope it fitted ???

might have to start another thread about the next board planned to travel around soon..... 8)
Yep got it cheers for that :)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:46 pm

pridmore wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MORE-Surfboard-s ... 3cb07db536

selling a few tees if anyones interested, sorry to do the sales pitch here but have had a few enquiries so thought I might just post a link, hope it works...)
Got my QF tee for Fathers Day yesterday. Thanks Mark!!