Surf Boats in Crowded Surf

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Surf Boats in Crowded Surf

Post by Kunji » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Was surfing the Point today at DY with at least 30 other blokes spread out between First Rock and the shoulder. A surf boat was out doing its business out the back and decided they would line up a set on the shoulder and just plow through whoever was in their way. People were scrambling, ducking, diving and freaking out.

The surf boat, of course nose dived at the bottom, recovered for a bit and then jack knifed inward toward the point where the majority of the people are and everything came unstuck.

I was paddling back out from the set before and saw everything. When the boat jack knifed it came towards me. I ducked dove but was not comfortable with the amount of depth that i got so i bailed underwater and was very lucky not to get struck. Not so lucky were the 3 blokes beside me who got creamed by the boat. Not sure how injured they were but it makes me imagine how a reckless incident like that could have gone wrong. Had any one of the scores of people that were in their road got knocked on the head they would have either been killed or knocked out. And lets not muck around if you get ko'd out on a day with the conditions like they were out there, you'll drown.

I thought the surf clubs were meant to be the protectors of the people in the water. I thought that they would have the experience and wave knowledge to do better. I cant believe the arrogance of these people to plow their boat through a crowd like that. I came up expecting to see people lying face down in the water. The boaties are lucky for their sake that that wasnt the case. And the hide of one of the old bastards we were screaming at saying that they will be back out and that "we better get out of the way next time".

This incident has angered a lot of people. Have the surf clubs gone too far?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

scroopulis
Local

Re: Surf Boats in Crowded Surf

Post by scroopulis » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Coops I know exactly that feeling of having to bail in front of those bastards. I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of years ago. That fat stupid sweep (after ploughing through about 6 guys) told me I should not have been in the way.

If the guy had not have weighed more than a small aircraft I would have provided more of a protest but, unfortunately, the numbers were stacked against me. I went in, with a board thast resembeld swiss cheese. Mate, there's prob not much you can do apart from fire bomb our local KFC.

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:26 pm

About 6 years ago i was out at Wanda and a surf boat dropped in on a long right i was on, and jack knifed towards me. The only thing i could do to not get creamed was jump into the boat to the shock of the crew. about 10 metres later without saying a word, i jumped back out into the water. Massive ding, and a snapped fin, which when i paddled in they didn't want to know about, and put it back at me like it was my fault. I was more in shock than angry.
If it feels good, do it.

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Yup. Idiots with some misplaced moral high ground thing going on.
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Yep that's the Dee Why boat crew.
Each new generation of crew has to try the Point regardless of conditions and crowd, carnage in the sixties was incredible, every loose board and broken toothpick was washed through the pack claiming more until a log jam took out every learner in the basin.
Similar mayhem at the Bower, also of course the Longy Bommies and I imagine elsewhere, and those pricks would try to stop us surfing the point.
Video the cuffunts hand to your nearest surfing lawyer, Sixty Minutes or ACA mention the words "reckless endangerment"
Their wedgies have tightened on their brains. :|
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Don't let them get away with it.

File a complaint with the local council and cc the club captain.

This is a serious safety issue and the council will have to do something about it.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:52 pm

boogaloo wrote:Don't let them get away with it.

File a complaint with the local council and cc the club captain.

This is a serious safety issue and the council will have to do something about it.
Too true boogaloo a real cool way to stew the crew, any more and I'll sound like Dr Seuss, but you're right
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Good idea.

I can think of many scary scenarios - surf-boat crew member cops nose of surfboard in face while ploughing through surf break, surfer gets killed by large surf-boat travelling through crowded line-up.

Ridiculous!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:05 pm

Imbeciles!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:27 pm

I'll echo boogaloo & say file a complaint with the council Coops. These f*ckers have to be held accountable.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:11 am

Yep, another poster from these forums who was out is in the process of writing a series of letters to the appropriate peoples.

Ive never seen anything like it.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:36 am

Coops, if someone else is lodging a complaint, make sure you do, too - separately.
And include the newspapers in your cc list.
And maybe Bronwyn Bishop. :twisted:
They heave no excuse if the surfers were there before they rowed for the wave.
"Reckless endagerment" is right.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:56 am

I'd look at getting the waterways involved as well, you'd have to be sure they have broken a plethra of rules;

- uncontrolled craft
- more than 10 knots within 30m of other craft
- leaving the scene of an accident without rendering help to others, and not filling in the appropriate accident report (this is a biggy me thinks)

Might be a few :?:

And any sort of evidence that others have would be very helpful.

Also they may try and spin some sort of "conducting patrol" argument - be prepared to combat that, or put your argument of why they weren't in your complaint, like when was the last time you saw someone saved by a lifeboat :?

Good luck Coops and all involved.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

still here
charger

Post by still here » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:11 am

I remember thinking it was hell dangerous when I saw that surfboat paddling out . They hardly ever manage to bring them in successfully while maintaining control .
I missed seeing the incident , but to head out through yesterdays crowd and then try to ride a wave in is madness .

I hate the arrogance of the typical crews of these stupid watercraft , and it does not surprise me to read of one guys comment that they'll "be back and everyone better get out of the way next time " .

Yeah I'll write a letter to the council , and I hope some others do too .

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:47 am

One of these motherfuckers has been spotted at Big Left at Flinders several times over the last 12 months. Came so close to hitting a mate of mine in bigger surf when it came through the line-up he was lucky not to have been killed about 9 months ago

They belong to some Ocean Thunder race competition and the boat in question is one from Rosebud down here with "Marthas Cove" advertising on it, I think it is black in color.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:24 pm

Coupla years back I got hit in the head with a paddle and the paddle dinged the nose of my brand new board (1st surf) and the cunce didn't even acknowledged that they had hit me?? WTF???

I've said it before, it's about time that there was a forced seperation between the sports club side of SLSC's and the actual life saver side because it's obvious that the "we are saving lives" call is being abused so these mongs can do whatever the fark they want whenever they want on the beaches. IMO surfboats shouldn't be anywhere near a populated line up, FFS these nutbags go nuts whenever a surfer goes near the flags, but clearly it's okay for the same mob of faarkwits to drive massive boat uncontrollably through a line up of surfers, I mean for christs sake if something easily manouvreable like a waverunner has to stay clear of surfers of swimmers doesn't it make sense that surfboats should too??

I hope this gets sorted out before someone is seriously injured, though sadly I fear that is the sort of thing that will need to happen before these cowboys get taken to task.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Coops -- get as many witnesses as possible. The clubbies will rally "community leaders" behind them, but said "community leaders" will soon change their tune if they're confronted by a couple of dozen furious eyewitnesses who're willing to put it in writing. So will the club captain etc.

Surf boat danger is the surf clubs' biggest blind spot. They honestly have no idea how many people they've pissed off over the years. It constantly undermines their stated goal of public protection. Not every surf boat crew is reckless and irresponsible, but the sensible ones consistently refuse to straighten out the fools. Many members of surf clubs view this behaviour with anger and disgust, and if pressured, will also make their feelings known within the club system.

I would urge anyone who's felt endangered by a surf boat to make a noise about it, 'cause if you don't, it's only a matter of time before the next serious injury.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Why do we still need them :?:
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."