Impossibles

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Scuba_steve

Impossibles

Post by Scuba_steve » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:27 am

Ive heard its not as good as it sounds, to fast and to sectioney. Any experiences?

marcus_h
charger

Re: Impossibles

Post by marcus_h » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:54 am

On all the occasions I have surfed there thats been the case. No real time for turns and constantly racing the face to get around sections.

That being said still had fun

curly

Post by curly » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Yes a very fast wave, you think you are going to make the section but it so quick. That being said it is not usually as crowded as Bingin or Ulu's, so you can usually get your fair share of waves. I found it best on a mid to low tide.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Close out

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:23 pm

curly wrote:I found it best on a mid to low tide.
Agreed. This is when it is at it's best for sure. Less chance of sectiony at dead low. High tide is when she's all over the place. Still agree though it's a fun less crowded option.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:35 pm

yeah its pretty quick! small nwish days were the only time it worked for me but ive only been there twice so not sure

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:53 am

if it was a sydney break it would be a pretty good one.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:42 pm

guard wrote:The right looks alright and easy to make for learners. (the right heading into padang) but its rippy at size.
Geezus......better bail before she sucks dry on the end section!! I've been caught a few times cutting the corner when paddling out (through the channel to the top of Impossibles) and getting caught inside only to try and duck dive and hit my fins on the bottom.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:12 pm

salty wrote:I think I've had a few of the most exciting rides of my llife at Impossibles. Mostly they're too fast and you'll only make it 20 or 30 meters... it's super, supper fast. But if you jag a slow one, you can score a ride that will go for at least several hundred meters. As others have noted, it sections and is very tricky to paddle in to. You need to get up early and just start pumping down the line from the second you get to your feet. There's no time for cutties or reos anywhere on that waves... it's just a speed run... the longest speed run you'll ever experience.

It's fun man... and it's probably the only wave I'd bother surfing on the Bukit (that, and Balangan... which can be sectiony and fast too).

L
Agreed Salty, i also reckon it needs a longer board than some other waves at comparable size, mid to low tide the best, can be good as well when small at mid to low but also increases your chances of leaving some bark.

lat year, early season and the island was busy, not packed but still busy, a swell was forecast and as we all know its a waiting game so a mate and I waited and waited and waited at the top of Impossible from around high tide. The orginal plan had been to surf the peak in the morning and avoid the arvo Racetracks crowd at Impossibles. The 60 or so on the peak when we arrived put paid to that... :roll:

Anyway, after a hour or 2 my mate has had enough so paddles out to join 2 already out there, gets out with dry hair, after a while i can't help myself and paddle straight out into a set that just wouldn't stop, you know, right in that zone where you cop them fully on the head. Finally i get out and start picking off a few and the pulse starts, each set bigger than the last, chock full of waves and regular- the tide is dropping and you can just paddle deeper and deeper each set, I reckon, we must've had it to ourselves, at the top of the reef, for a good hour before people cottoned on and rushed out. Epic and fun and with a crowd that by Bali standards is polite.

Judging from what I've heard and what i was like in October Balangan has now been overrun by the Dreamland Euros, it was very crowded and to be honest, downright dangerous last time I surfed it. :x

Scuba_steve

Post by Scuba_steve » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:52 pm

i surfed it for the first time today :D Had a ball, even though it was to fast and u couldnt really do more than a couple turns it was a great surf, caught to smokers all the way through and out there with the son to :lol: tomorrow i think ill hit ulus....u gotta love bali haa :evil:

bood
Grommet

Post by bood » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 am

dirty dirty dog

Scuba_steve

Post by Scuba_steve » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 pm

just thought idd tel u all about my surf at uluwatu toady :D

was about 4 foot with some bigger sets, surfed racetrack for a bit then tide go to high so went down to peak, got realy good there and got plenty of waves, then tied go lower so went up to racetracks again, had a ball then got a massage for 1 dollar 50. tomorrow might hit kuta reef :D once again i love bali