Shark Attacks & the Reduced Shark Fishing Quota

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

z_halen

Shark Attacks & the Reduced Shark Fishing Quota

Post by z_halen » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:20 pm

Hey guys,

Does it seem to be any coincidence that there have been a big increase in Shark attacks recently and the fact that NSW Fisheries have reduced the Shark fishing Quota dramtically.

I was talking to a pro fisho up in Nambucca a couple of weeks ago and he claims that his shark fishing quota has been reduced so dramatically that it's not really worth fishing for them. He said he's never seen more about, but there's just no point fishing for them as it's not worth wasteing the fuel.

I know it's their ocean and all that, but if we've been keeping them in "check" in the past with the amount of sharks being taken by pro fisho's and now we've almost stopped fishing for them, have we upset the balance ???

Was the previous fishing quota more realistic and was it keeping the beaches safer.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Shark Attacks & the Reduced Shark Fishing Quota

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:27 am

and does that mean there's less shark available in the fish and chip shops, thus pushing up the price of other types of fish?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:31 pm

What right does an out of control super monkey have to keep a 400 million year old fish in "check"?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:31 pm

The same right it has with spiders, snakes and scorpions...how about a wasp, ever killed a nest of them coops? or you just relocate them and sleep sound at night? it isn't that they have stung/bitten you, the issue is that they might. and while there are those out there that are at one with their bong and the ocean, the vast majority of humans prefer to walk on their own legs, not prosthetics...
The argument of "just don't go out and you can't get attacked" doesn't work either. humans like recreational activities, sex, surfing, running, street louge everything and if there is an animal, sink hole or dodgey piece of public/private works then humans will remove the risk, hence the thoroughly litigious society that we live in. unfortunately for them, wasps, sharks and spiders can't file a class action against the human race and will just have to have faith that we won't kill the entire species, which we won't. Because we have marine sanctuaries where safe havens are created to prevent the extinction of a species. If sharks are unchecked, I am fairly certain that in 1000 years a quasi-Somalian coastline will be present at Bondi...I am worried.

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:58 pm

Nick-W wrote:The argument of "just don't go out and you can't get attacked" doesn't work either.
Yes it does.

Just don't go out there and you can't get attacked.

See? Worked fine. Absolutely no flaws in the logic.
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Actually I was wondering why when a crocodile attacks a human they find it and shoot it but they don't do the same to sharks.

That seems a bizarre double standard.

Also the sharks that were/are commercially fished were mostly and overwhelmingly not the ones that attack humans so throw that argument straight out.

And there hasn't been a big increase in attacks....attacks, like alot of random events tend to cluster.....and this is what has happened.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:48 pm

[quote="steve shearer"]Actually I was wondering why when a crocodile attacks a human they find it and shoot it but they don't do the same to sharks.

That seems a bizarre double standard.

Are you taking the piss?
Crocs are territorial - they fight hard for that part of river/creek and live there for life or until they are 'moved' on.
From what I've seen sharks are constantly on the move- I remember someone put a radio traker on a great white a few years ago in South Africa and watched it go to WA and back just for a root (that was the theory anyway).

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:29 pm

If you were a shark, how far would you go for a root?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Not just sharks!

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:48 am

I'll kill a wasp or a spider in my bedroom; I wont go out into the forest to kill all wasps and spiders.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 am

Nick-W wrote:If you were a shark, how far would you go for a root?
Newport.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 am

I was under the impression that the extra shark activity over this summer was due to the warmer currents and greater numbers of pelagic fish such as kingfish. The catch limits on kingfish were tightened a while ago to allow their numbers to replenish, and they are definitely doing that.

The warm water brings in more nutrients, the nutrients bring in more baitfish, the baitfish bring in more kingfish, the kingfish bring in more ocean sharks. Added to this, tuna have been overfished, reducing a major food source of ocean sharks. Hence lots of biteys coming in last summer to sniff out some schooling fish, but getting side-tracked to check the surf.

The bull sharks will always be around, they're estuary type sharks aren't they?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:37 am

And you'd get one.

hey z-halen, didn't strike you that the professional shark fisherman might have had an agenda, did it.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:24 pm

^^^^^^^^

at last ... the voice of reason ... :idea:

show up to the next BBQ RR and I'm shoutin' you fish'n'chips ... :!:

3 prong
Grommet

Post by 3 prong » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:12 pm

I'd imagine in the last twenty years even if shark numbers have increased...the probablity of someone getting bitten has increased even more just due to the numbers of people who surf now... What use to be 2ft slop at Queenscliff at dawn with no one out...now has 6 mal riders.a dozen english language college students from Brazil and a few japanese ready to "charge it"

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Nick-W wrote:The same right it has with spiders, snakes and scorpions...how about a wasp, ever killed a nest of them coops? or you just relocate them and sleep sound at night? it isn't that they have stung/bitten you, the issue is that they might. ...
Do you go in the water when there's bluebottles around, or do you try kill all the ones that might sting you first?

The chances of you suffering any serious damage from a spider, snake, scorpion or wasp are close to zero. Pre-emptive killing of them is pointless.

z_halen

Post by z_halen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:53 pm

Lots of valid points here in this one thats for sure,

Yeah, Nick C, everyone's usually got an agenda, but i'm usually out on the water most day's and i can vouch for the increase in numbers. I definitely don't think that bull sharks and bronzies are endangered.

I don't buy the fact that the ocean currents are warmer this year at all either, I will say there has been more fresh in the ocean cause of all the floods up and down the coast, but the attacks where happening before those. I would guess that because the parramatta river has got a lot cleaner it's produced a better enviroment for sharks than the last 80 years, but now there should be more food for them and less need for the extra bight. Instead, nature says when there's more food, breed more.

Also the sharks that are taken commercially don't usually include the concieved huge man eaters, instead they concentrate on the small size of sharks that usually are on the sand near river mouths and trawl grounds. These do include bull sharks and bronzies. But pro fisho's were and are highly unlikely to target whites and Nurse - (Since they are protected anyway)

We've got Police to slow down and control Speeding drivers, Workcover attempts to stop anyone getting hurt at work, The increased security at airports and all those shit house checks that you've got to go through when you're trying to fly anywhere (how many people have been killed on planes without the security in australia) Should the government be doing more to protect water users.

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:14 am

z_halen wrote: We've got Police to slow down and control Speeding drivers, Workcover attempts to stop anyone getting hurt at work, The increased security at airports and all those shit house checks that you've got to go through when you're trying to fly anywhere (how many people have been killed on planes without the security in australia) Should the government be doing more to protect water users.
Sky-divers use parachutes. But they still throw themselves out of a plane.
Its a risk, its all a risk, going in the water is a risk.
Decide whether you're happy with the risks, and then just deal with it.