Stigmata

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Stigmata

Post by ric_vidal » Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 am

Ya know those cracks, and I mean just cracks, you guys keep getting in your boards, here’s the tip, see to them sooner rather than later.

Doing a lot of ding fixes with RichQ at the moment while the other work is, well let’s not go there, and the most inane looking cracks usually accompanied by a bit of yellowing if older are a fine source of moisture.

Below is a fiberflex with a deck crease, looked pretty lame until we were feeling its flex (as you do)... turned the board over and water had been forced out where until that time had been totally dry, looked and felt sound and quite frankly would have been glassed over. It spent the rest of the day in the sun exuding water. And trust me, it isn’t just EPS core boards the PU are just as bad. Spending a lot of time cutting away delaminated glass from rotten foam.
stig.jpg
stig.jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 3149 times

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Re: Stigmata

Post by RickyG » Thu May 28, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks for the reminder Ric, I'm sure like most here my boards have a few cracks/dings that just never get attended to :oops:

(at the mo I'm flat out trying to find a small window for a surf, let alone taking proper care of my boards :cry: )
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 am

My older boards, before they got to go inside the car, have myriad stress cracks on the nose from when always put them nose forward on the roof, or sticking up through the roof. Is that why to put them fin forward on the roof :shock: :shock: :shock:

They're fine lines, just so many, how can you tell if there's deeper damage, unless they're soaked?

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu May 28, 2009 11:50 am

daryl wrote:They're fine lines, just so many, how can you tell if there's deeper damage, unless they're soaked?
Ric ... I realise water can make it's way through incredibly small spaces etc. but are those tiny stress lines an issue in your experience ... :?:

I don't keep and ride boards long enough really for that to be a worry and I never leave a fracture unattended ... but I am still interested to know if over time if you were to ride a board for many years are those fine stressy's a leak point ... :?:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu May 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu May 28, 2009 12:58 pm

^^ Bit of duct tape should fix that.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu May 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:Ric ... I realise water can make it's way through incredibly small spaces etc. but are those tiny stress lines an issue in your experience ... :?:
Ever seen a slightly older board with stress marks? Watch where it yellows - at the stress marks... water is not always our friend.

I think water can get through even solid (nothing is really solid) resin - in time.

Most of the suspect ones are where there has been an impact... e.g. rail cops a hit and you get a crack on the bottom of the board and deck. I suspect foam compresses leaves a void and bingo.

Even SOME of the slightest ones I have seen of late when opened up have had way too much water.

You don't have to fix 'em but at least water-proof them.

The other thing I have seen a lot of, apart from the ubiquitous FCS plug crush, is boards snapping or creasing those 6-odd inches from the nose or somewhere else on the board and there is usually a compression there to begin with... think about it kids, compromised foam and glass already folding the wrong way, now where do you think it is going to stress next time?

You have been warned! :twisted:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu May 28, 2009 4:26 pm

D-saur, at Rich's place(Pure Surfboards)... 7/161 South Creek Road Cromer

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu May 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Toby wrote:So ya reckon I should get around to fixing this little crack do ya Ric?
Chuck in a bit of saw dust, she'll be as good as new, Tobs :shock:

Compsands aren't what they're cracked up to be.
:mrgreen:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 pm

It appears that many boards glassed in the Phillipines exhibit the symptoms (especially around Easter). :lol:

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm

dinosaur wrote:what time do ya crack the beers on a friday?
if that's the case I might happen to be passing by with a few coldies on board ... :idea:

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu May 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Yeah sounds like fun. See ya tomorrow arvo :!:
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu May 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
dinosaur wrote:what time do ya crack the beers on a friday?
if that's the case I might happen to be passing by with a few coldies on board ... :idea:
something just made me remember ... I'll be busy ...

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 pm

ric - stretching this topic a bit - but what does this say to you about the ideal glass job to get if you want your custom to be a keeper? My brother just had a 4X4X4 glassed off the rack Bourton (which he loved in terms of shape and how it went) - develop a crease about 50 cm long after about 5 weeks - we noticed it and comented that that was crap after a short period but thought it was cosmetic. It snapped in half a couple of weeks later in pretty weak conditions.

In your experiance - how much does a stronger glass job protect from this? Do you glass your own boards strong?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri May 29, 2009 8:04 am

dinosaur wrote:^^ cool see ya tomorrow.

what time do ya crack the beers on a friday?
as the need arises

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri May 29, 2009 8:06 am

dinosaur wrote:What time do you crack the beers on Monday?
same as Friday

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri May 29, 2009 8:09 am

^^^^

as long as Rich doesn't mind us turning up :?: and he and Ric are up for it I will try and manage my day to make an appearance ... I live nearby and would most likely down a couple anyway ... :idea:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri May 29, 2009 8:55 am

old grom wrote:ric - stretching this topic a bit - but what does this say to you about the ideal glass job to get if you want your custom to be a keeper? My brother just had a 4X4X4 glassed off the rack Bourton (which he loved in terms of shape and how it went) - develop a crease about 50 cm long after about 5 weeks - we noticed it and comented that that was crap after a short period but thought it was cosmetic. It snapped in half a couple of weeks later in pretty weak conditions.

In your experiance - how much does a stronger glass job protect from this? Do you glass your own boards strong?
O.Grom, Dino is 100% right, a good glass job won’t help bad foam. Keep in mind though what I am talking about, the ingress of water, has little or perhaps nothing to do with foam. Whether EPS, in the case of the fiberflex is more of a sponge I don’t know, but believe it CAN be. Regardless, water won’t discriminate, it will screw good foam or bad - PU or EPS although the development continues. There are some closed cell foams now that supposedly only absorb less than 1% but they tend to be sheet foams so you won’t see those unless you get a compsand style board and I think the TL2s are particularly non-absorbent if you like cream boards. :wink:

4x4x4 is bog standard, any board irrespective of foam, stringer or glass job can and will crease and break under the right (wrong) circumstances.

My current board is stringer-less, but has Stretch style deck channels but otherwise glassed the same as your brother’s board. I have felt it flexing in my hands when duck diving in some unfortunate situations, it is still very intact. Glassed with epoxy laminate (more flexible), and poly filler. Deck is taking a pounding at the back, but I put that down to the foam used and my initial get-up style. It has however lead me to an idea about reinforcing boards, semi-retrospectively.

I am of the opinion a stringer may not help as much as we like to think and Midget has written some interesting comments on this in the past (Surfblanks) as in his opinion and it makes sense, it will concentrate the energy in a weak spot and this pertains to existing damage or even compressions, hence your brother’s issue with the crease and eventual snap. Even the slightest rail crack will potentially fail as it is already compromised. Stringers make a board easier to shape and enable the forming of a rocker during glue-up, other than that you are taking one piece of foam and compromising it by cutting it in half.