Boardies still OK in Syd at the moment?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Boardies still OK in Syd at the moment?

Post by RickyG » Fri May 08, 2009 11:58 am

Hi, I know it's a bit lame but here's the situation:

Haven't surfed in weeeeks :( (obviously missed out on some of the best swell in ages)
Moving house
Appear to have packed all my wetties
Have small window of opportunity to get wet tomorrow morning

Is surfing in boardies stretching things a bit - being May and all (I'd be in the sprigy if I had it , not the steamer BTW)

Or - in the words of the philosopher Chopper Read - shoudl I just HARDEN THE FCUK UP!!
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Boardies still OK in Syd at the moment?

Post by WANDERER » Fri May 08, 2009 12:03 pm

The water is bloody laaarvely at the moment Ricky, warm as it gets still IMO, I was out in boardies this morning, granted I had a 2mm top on, but the water itself is bath-like.

ps, if you want to borrow a long sleeve thermo shirt (should be more than enough) I have a couple that I'm not using at the moment and I am just up the road, you can return it when ya ready, up to you, the offers open, PM or call my moby if you are interested.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri May 08, 2009 12:37 pm

It's bath like. Coastalwatch had it listed at 23 degrees today :)
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri May 08, 2009 12:57 pm

I concur with my esteemed colleagues … boardies and my new super light super flexy long sleeve vest is plenty … even early with the cool breeze … a little icy around the balls when you get out … but the water is BEAutiful … heaps of weak arses in steamers though which will throw you off , but in Sydney most people wear steamers in summer as well …

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri May 08, 2009 12:58 pm

iggy wrote: i saw some f**kwit the other day out in booties and a hoodie FFS...
just because it was overcast i guess :roll:
WTF???? You don't even need to wear them in Vicco yet!!

Harden the fcuk up!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Thanks for the responses guys - this is just what i was hoping to hear. I've seen the water temp given at 23 degrees but I think that's off the coast a little so it's often not quite that good.

Wands, unfortunately I'm residing at the quaint village of Dundas Valley at the moment (with the inlaws, pug dog that hates my guts and two cats :( ), but may still take you up on the offer - thanks.

Surely there's a few oldtimers here who could regale us with stories of surfing tassie in the dead of winter in just a pair of sluggo's

Christ I need a surf :shock:
andy2476 wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Maaate...I had to go surfing with a sixpack of chilled articles strapped round me agates just to keep 'em cool enough to reproduce the other day.
The water was full of jockeys sweating their bloody ball bags off to make weight.

Any warmer and you could make a cup of tea in it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri May 08, 2009 5:40 pm

2 weeks ago I was on goldy and there were heaps of guys in steamers ... :?
I packed a short sleeve light vest but didn't need it so why these guys needed steamers was beyond me ... maybe they were on holidays from somewhere on the equator ... :idea:

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Everyone seems to wear steamers up here as soon as it hits May and overcast - fkn pussies

vb
Local

Post by vb » Fri May 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Ricky,

what body tye are u?

If you're a squat, stocky, low-browed Neaderthal bred for colder climes then by all means go out in your profiles if you want ...

If however you're a Masai (long, lean , gracile) then rubber up to the max.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri May 08, 2009 9:24 pm

vb wrote:Ricky,

what body tye are u?

If you're a squat, stocky, low-browed Neaderthal bred for colder climes then by all means go out in your profiles if you want ...

If however you're a Masai (long, lean , gracile) then rubber up to the max.
personally, I'm a malnourished 60kg mfo and if I want to wear a wetsuit I will

If only I could, short of pulling out my bike board rack and heading down to M'bra :idea: fuggen why o why do I live in the city at risk of not having a car :cry: :cry: :cry:

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Sat May 09, 2009 8:46 am

I start to wonder that there is a bunch of people reading these forums for guidance ... like an advice column ... :idea:

apart from my brother and another guy we surf with I haven't seen anyone in less than a steamer in the past couple of weeks but this morning there were quite a few guys in vests or springy's ... :lol:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat May 09, 2009 11:03 am

While you were away from the surf everyone decided red sluggos were the go so thats what everyone surfs in. You should too.
Personally I got a new springy at the end of last winter so thats what I wear if its windy or summer stuff if its not. The waters great. I have considered buying a fantastic new vest thingy but I will wait till I see one on sale or maybe make do for the 4 or 5 weeks when theyre useful. When I grew up on the north coast the only wetsuit I ever owned was a sleavless vest for winter. People who wear steamers don't have boardies or theyre fashion victims.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sat May 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Well, you were right, it was bloody warm! Thanks to Wands the comfort level was a touch higher than it would have been.

Pretty much everyone else in steamers though - and as I was leaving a dude was paddling out with steamer and a hood :shock: ('twas sunny and quite mild out of the water). I was gonna say something but realised he was about 70 so thought good on him for getting out there.

Maybe I even felt a touch superior in my boardies :lol: - I called a drop-in off my wave for the first time in years (usually just put up with it) and then got involved in someone else's argument about another drop-in. I think that's about the first cross word I've had in the surf in almost 20 yrs.

Must be getting old and cranky :wink:
andy2476 wrote:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sat May 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Well at LEAST 24C at a Sinny harbour beach today with 2-3 ft peelers. Warm as and Dobroyd starting to fire up. C'mon WED!
(pity abt the boogers)

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat May 16, 2009 11:36 am

WANDERER wrote: long sleeve thermo shirt
those shirts are awesome.
i have one, mix it with boardies in summer, or a short john in winter/autumn, cant recommend them enough.
mine has just started to get stretchy at the cuffs after a few years of use, catching a little bit of water, anyone know how to sew it or make it tighter somehow?
may just get a new one and leave that one for a spare.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat May 16, 2009 11:56 am

Would gaffer tape pull them in a bit :shock: :shock: :shock:

mine's not as tight as it was for the first year or two

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sat May 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Just got back from clean knee high peaks at minno's with my 12 year old son who wore boardies and a rashie and he was happy. Shitloads of salmon about too right in close. Should have taken the rod and the soft plastics. probably would have been more fun.