Thieves About

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

SDC
regular

Thieves About

Post by SDC » Mon May 04, 2009 4:46 pm

A warning to be vigilant, as my wallet was stolen out of my car at Mona Vale beach this morning - CNUTS!!! :evil: Had no cash in it, but just the hassle of lining up and wasting time at Banks, Medicare, RTA etc etc, the police weren't too interested, just gave me a number to ring and report it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Thieves About

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon May 04, 2009 4:57 pm

This won't be an accident, there will be a group of thieves working the NB carparks over the next month just as they did in January, so watch out unless you're a fcuken rubberneck, in which case, yeah, stick your keys under the front wheel arch.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon May 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Leave your wallet at home when you go surfing. I do if I can.

Bad luck SDC. Hate thieves.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon May 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Got broken into a few times myself. As you know, everyone hates me for exposing secret places like Manly and Bondi to the world so I have had my tires slashed as well. I set up a solar powered web cam near my rear vision mirror and display a big arse sign from it that says that says - "your attempt to break into or vandalise this car is being streamed live to the authorities" no probs ever since.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon May 04, 2009 8:48 pm

oldman wrote:Leave your wallet at home when you go surfing. I do if I can.
One of the problems in NSW is that the law requires you to present your licence on demand. Which means you have to carry at least your licence in the car somewhere.
In Qld you have 24 hours to present the licence at a police station if you don't have it on you.

ps. Slimeball thieves suck but I continue to be amazed at how few incidents there are considering the number of guys I see tucking their keys up under a wheel arch every morning. Often they'll be a tradie in a signposted vehicle full of tools of the trade and probably with their house keys on the same ring.
Crazy practice.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon May 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Trev there was a bloke who used to spy on people doing that at the cotton tree car-park. Mate had his car broken into there along with 5-6 others.

My old boy also caught a druggy checking cars on the hill at alex, chased him off with a verbal barrage

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon May 04, 2009 11:43 pm

A year or two ago cars were getting broken into at Point Leo, Vic. The thief would wait in the bushes to see where the keys were hidden then unlock the car take any cash from the wallet & put it back wherever it was left in the car. The victim wouldn't realise their cash had gone until they stopped at the servo etc, cameras were taken out of car boots as well.

A friend of mine once spotted a guy going around the Gunnamatta car park checking car doors, he was bound to find one door left unlocked out of the thirty cars.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 05, 2009 8:43 am

I usually only take my license, and the 2 keys i need, nothing else.

Though i surf the dawn patrol, and have left my window wound right down, and come back to find nothing gone a few times.

Glad i live in the gong!

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue May 05, 2009 8:51 am

Beerfan wrote:I usually only take my license, and the 2 keys i need, nothing else.

Though i surf the dawn patrol, and have left my window wound right down, and come back to find nothing gone a few times.

Glad i live in the gong!
You've never surfed The Farm then?
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 05, 2009 9:00 am

Haha why would i bother?? there are so many other places. I can't understand why people come from so far away at the slightest hint of a swell there. I don't know how many breaks that would be just as good along the way, but it doesnt stop them coming. Im not saying it's not a good spot, just a bit of a circus.

But i never had anything stolen on the few occasions i've surfed there, with 40 of my closest mates!. I'ts probably the closest beach to my place, but i either go 10 mins north ( mostly ), or 5 mins south ( sometimes ).

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue May 05, 2009 9:13 am

Beerfan wrote:Haha why would i bother?? there are so many other places. I can't understand why people come from so far away at the slightest hint of a swell there. I don't know how many breaks that would be just as good along the way, but it doesnt stop them coming. Im not saying it's not a good spot, just a bit of a circus.

But i never had anything stolen on the few occasions i've surfed there, with 40 of my closest mates!. I'ts probably the closest beach to my place, but i either go 10 mins north ( mostly ), or 5 mins south ( sometimes ).
Putting that road to the bottom carpark is the worst thing they could ever do.Although you can now watch your car while in the surf it now allows any 50's plus 9' mal rider to roll out of their car and straight into the rip and out the back in no time.That,and the fact Shellharbour will soon become the most densely populated suburb on Earth.Every time you drive past there is an extra 10 acres of land being reclaimed for Mcmansions!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

papa
regular

Post by papa » Tue May 05, 2009 9:18 am

My mate got his car window smashed and wallet / phone stolen from the mid - north curly car park about 4 months ago...

In full view of the main drag...

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue May 05, 2009 9:26 am

Legalise vigilantes .
There're more than a few surfers that thieves should be worried about . :evil:

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Tue May 05, 2009 9:33 am

lessormore wrote:Putting that road to the bottom carpark is the worst thing they could ever do.Although you can now watch your car while in the surf it now allows any 50's plus 9' mal rider to roll out of their car and straight into the rip and out the back in no time.That,and the fact Shellharbour will soon become the most densely populated suburb on Earth.Every time you drive past there is an extra 10 acres of land being reclaimed for Mcmansions!
15 years ago it was all beautiful farmland. Now it's just full of densely packed brick veneer crap that willl be the new south dapto in ten years. Plus all the new 'suburbs' have ghey names like 'woodlands' when the place doesnt have a tree in sight.

Fcuk Shell Cove
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue May 05, 2009 10:09 am

It may not be relevant to many here - but there's been a spate of car thefts from the Alley carpark at Currumbin recently. Most recently I came out from the water on Sunday (packed carpark) and saw a guy in wettie talking to the cops. As I walked passed i commented to him that it was another one gone eh? The cops reckoned there been 8 cars sloten in the last month. Same deal I guess as most - keys stashed somewhere on the car and a lurking thief just waiting for his/her chance :roll:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 05, 2009 10:21 am

15 years ago it was all beautiful farmland. Now it's just full of densely packed brick veneer crap that willl be the new south dapto in ten years. Plus all the new 'suburbs' have ghey names like 'woodlands' when the place doesnt have a tree in sight.

I think its f*cked that the houses are going almost to the gate. One of the reasons i stopped going there.

Just glad the council got the boot, i think there may have been something fishy going on.....;... just maybe, but i could be wrong ( don't wanna get sued!! ).

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue May 05, 2009 10:40 am

Not affiliated with this group in any way but I swear by Surflock (www.surflock.com.au), it doesn't stop a cnut smashing a window but at least your car will still be there when you get out of the water.

wayne_g

Post by wayne_g » Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

how would it work with insurance i wonder? is your insurance automatically void if you leave the key on the car before its stolen?