Surf Mags - Who's killing it, who's not??

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Sanity

Re: Surf Mags - Who's killing it, who's not??

Post by Sanity » Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 am

I WAVES mag deserves an honourable mention.

As a teenager I used to buy ASL+Tracks+Waves. Now, my occasional buy is mostly Waves. Not sure if ASL+Tracks deteriorated so much to make Waves look good, or Waves improved?

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 am

Just had the latest Surfing World delivered to my door yesterday & it's a pretty good issue. Some good discussion on various surfers boards etc.

It's funny because Surfing World & Surfers Journal have confirmed my belief that their are surfers out there who really can read. :wink:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed May 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Sanity wrote:I WAVES mag deserves an honourable mention.

As a teenager I used to buy ASL+Tracks+Waves. Now, my occasional buy is mostly Waves. Not sure if ASL+Tracks deteriorated so much to make Waves look good, or Waves improved?
You're not considering the third possibility

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Wed May 06, 2009 3:03 pm

i like the mag that cliff et al put out.
what's it called? i can't remember the koori name for the pelican...and i'm not at my computer that has it bookmarked.

i presume they're struggling financially. but clearly love, not money, is the driving passion. that's the future and it will be good.

basically, like the punk zines of old, like sniffing glue, rip it up and a toy horse. nme and ram were totally irrelevant, so people made their own.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed May 06, 2009 3:21 pm

It's Kurungaabah (Dharawal word). Electronic format on line.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed May 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Remember Butt's cover shot of German Bank breaking? Any chance this enormous swell that's inbound is going to equal something of that magnitude? Wouldnt mind another session at Neilson Park to be honest - something oddly refreshing about surfing when surrounded by land 360 degrees. Might try to not end up finishing my wave by shooting my board into the sharknet around the baths this time - not sure the rangers were very impressed with that. 8)
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed May 06, 2009 6:11 pm

Fairlight Pool, Dobroyd Bommie (obviously), Maianbar and Shoes to the fisheries station (maybe) and maybe Washie/Grotto?

Otherwise Lion Island and Maitland Bay for the latte set.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed May 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Yeah I'd like to get a Grotto session under my belt, too much south in this one maybe?
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed May 06, 2009 8:37 pm

onya pyramid, just keep dodging the eggheads and look for a little blood and gutz in the next issue, we are experimenting with brute semantics

laz

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

LONGINUS wrote:Yeah I'd like to get a Grotto session under my belt, too much south in this one maybe?
Maybe not but probably . Otherwise inner North Head.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu May 07, 2009 9:43 pm

I have a subscription to Australian Longboarding - love getting each issue in the mail but after a quick perusal i'm often a little disappointed.
I buy Pacific Longboarder occasionally but the content is similar so it's a bit pointless. I'm occsasionally tempted by SW and Surfer's Path, the rest you can forget.

Like someone said above when I was a grommet I used to devour every mag I could get my hands on as there was no other surf media to speak of.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Fri May 08, 2009 12:20 am

RickyG wrote:I have a subscription to Australian Longboarding - love getting each issue in the mail but after a quick perusal i'm often a little disappointed.
I buy Pacific Longboarder occasionally but the content is similar so it's a bit pointless. I'm occsasionally tempted by SW and Surfer's Path, the rest you can forget.

Like someone said above when I was a grommet I used to devour every mag I could get my hands on as there was no other surf media to speak of.
Hey Ricky,
Wait till ya see the stuff of Bonga and Dave Simons and GT riding tubes up here in Sumatra in a couple issues. Epic.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri May 08, 2009 7:48 am

Shane Peel wrote:
RickyG wrote:I have a subscription to Australian Longboarding - love getting each issue in the mail but after a quick perusal i'm often a little disappointed.

Hey Ricky,
Wait till ya see the stuff of Bonga and Dave Simons and GT riding tubes up here in Sumatra in a couple issues. Epic.
Sounds good. I'm assuming you're the same guy who was the original editor? Mate, i thought you had the best job in the world and couldn't believe you'd want to move on - but of course perception and reality are two different things :lol: Even though yourselves and PL were fighting it out on the same patch (although PL has some international reach) I always appreciated how both camps kept it clean.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 am

Shane Peel wrote:
Hey Ricky,
That wouldn't be from your telos resort would it Shane?

Jeez you make John Laws and Alan Jones look like the Dalai fcuking Lama.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Fri May 08, 2009 10:07 am

steve shearer wrote:
Shane Peel wrote:
Hey Ricky,
That wouldn't be from your telos resort would it Shane?

Jeez you make John Laws and Alan Jones look like the Dalai fcuking Lama.
Come on Sheep you gotta start looking before you pull the trigger mate.
Of course it's from the resort I live at how else do you think pro longboarders can even get to come here. No it's not a set-up to promote the resort in fact there is not even an ad for the resort in the mag (which would probably be a good idea) it's mainly a short profile on the current world longboard champ.No we did not pay the mag to do the story! If the resort gets some publicity great if not who cares. Nobody paid for anything not the mag not the surfers. The waves just happened to be PUMPING I shot, wrote a 1000 words drank beers with the boys, watched the sun set a few times, nailed more fish in a few hours than most people will in a week and BOOM we had a great story. Don't you think that's better than a feature about the last club round at Byron?
Here's a bit of a reality check for you mate (and anyone else that's interested) surf magazines in Australia sell around 20,000 copies an issue, longboard magazines would be stoked if they sold half that. THE ONLY WAY FOR THEM TO MAKE MONEY (exist) IS TO BE COMMERCIAL and sell ads and form relationships that help create content. They are not the fricken "Independent".
I'm not even sure when it comes out but have a look at the story when it does people and you be the judge is it an "evil" cash for comment story by your truly that makes Laws and Jones look like the Dali Lama or a great feature with the worlds best longboarders feasting on tubes.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Fri May 08, 2009 10:14 am

RickyG wrote:
Shane Peel wrote:

Hey Ricky,
Sounds good. I'm assuming you're the same guy who was the original editor? Mate, i thought you had the best job in the world and couldn't believe you'd want to move on - but of course perception and reality are two different things :lol: Even though yourselves and PL were fighting it out on the same patch (although PL has some international reach) I always appreciated how both camps kept it clean.
Hey Ricky,
Yeah mate I have been lucky enough to have a few of the worlds best jobs. It's kinda strange that the world has only got two longboard magazines and they are both from OZ eh. I actually started Australian Longboard Magazine in a shed in Nambour on the Sunshine Coast with a mate then sold it to Peter Morrison of Morrison Media (ASL, Riptide etc etc) and worked as ed for a couple of years. Probably the most fun I had in my life. Got to work with the best creative team in surfing (NC and a bloke called Greame Murdoch) on lots of other surfing stuff. It's kinda why I still have a soft spot for the mags they make

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri May 08, 2009 12:49 pm

wow, Peel you really wrote an "original" story with that 1000 words:

A bunch of mates (read professional surfers) being put up in a resort in Sumatra drinking beer, catching fish and watching sunsets - and it's NOT an advert to travel to the area.

:lol:

Sheeeeeeaaat, pushing the boundaries, you are truly a "writer" and "thinker" worth reading; I'm for sure gunna buy a copy of the mag now :roll:

At least be honest about what you do - advertorials; pure and simple. You don't believe your own guff, do you ... then again, you have been on your knees for so long maybe you do.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri May 08, 2009 12:58 pm

THE ONLY WAY FOR THEM TO MAKE MONEY (exist) IS TO BE COMMERCIAL
Actually people surf and do things and make things and create things for love and the sheer stoke of just doing it . The enthusiasm this approach generates is a match for any commercial profit motive. See the whole social enterprise movement that is exploding.

And this is what the new media landscape offers, a chance to do things without having to make profits to keep it rolling and out there. And there is always someone else to pick up the production when you tire.

Welcome to the new game ... and now you blokes aren't the only ones with the resources.

Game on mofos.

:twisted: